Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2015, 05:36 PM

7,874 posts, read 14,172,148 times

Advertisements

What a huge undertaking - why did I start a thread??

Jesus talked to different people - those receiving grace, scribes and pharisees, and those boasting in their own righteousness to name three factions - we should not take all of the red letters to heart, unless we are fitting into all three of those categories! Are you a Jew, a Canaanite, a centurion?

Jesus told two people that they had great faith, the Canaanite woman and the centurion soldier; what did they have in common? The answer will unlock the covenant of grace.

Should we go and sell all we have, and give it to the poor? Remember, the rich young ruler boasted "all of these commandments have I kept...!" He wants us to depend on Him for righteousness, not look at ourselves.

Quote:
But seek first His kingdom and HIS righteousness... (Mat. 6:33)

...and their righteousness IS OF ME saith the Lord. (Isa. 54:17)

Our righteousness is as filthy rags. (Isa. 64:6)

This is the name by which it will be called: The LORD Our Righteous Savior.' (Jer. 33:16)

...and all are justified freely by his grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus. (Rom. 3:24)

God made Him who had no sin to be sin for us, so that in Him we might become the righteousness of God (2 Cor. 5:21)

...and be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own that comes from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ--the righteousness that comes from God on the basis of faith. (Phil. 3:9)
But the biggest problem in Christianity is mixing the covenants! Stone tablets?? The Sabbath?? Pork!??

When God makes a covenant with man, we should live wholly in that covenant - now what covenant are we in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2015, 06:57 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,783,911 times
As it is written;

Isaiah 59

"This is the covenant with them which I myself have made, says the LORD: My spirit which is upon you and my words that I have put into your mouth Shall never leave your mouth, nor the mouths of your children Nor the mouths of your children's children from now on and forever," says the LORD.

Old 09-11-2015, 07:14 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,382,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post
As it is written;

Isaiah 59

"This is the covenant with them which I myself have made, says the LORD: My spirit which is upon you and my words that I have put into your mouth Shall never leave your mouth, nor the mouths of your children Nor the mouths of your children's children from now on and forever," says the LORD.
Jeremiah 31:31-32 31 Behold, the days come, saith the LORD, that I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel, and with the house of Judah: 32 Not according to the covenant that I made with their fathers in the day that I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt; which my covenant they brake,

Old 09-11-2015, 08:07 PM

2,854 posts, read 2,051,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
What a huge undertaking - why did I start a thread??

Jesus talked to different people - those receiving grace, scribes and pharisees, and those boasting in their own righteousness to name three factions - we should not take all of the red letters to heart, unless we are fitting into all three of those categories! Are you a Jew, a Canaanite, a centurion?

Jesus told two people that they had great faith, the Canaanite woman and the centurion soldier; what did they have in common? The answer will unlock the covenant of grace.

Should we go and sell all we have, and give it to the poor? Remember, the rich young ruler boasted "all of these commandments have I kept...!" He wants us to depend on Him for righteousness, not look at ourselves.

But the biggest problem in Christianity is mixing the covenants! Stone tablets?? The Sabbath?? Pork!??

When God makes a covenant with man, we should live wholly in that covenant - now what covenant are we in?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noahidism

Old 09-11-2015, 08:47 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,342,369 times
Rightly Dividing Scripture?

Having the ability to distinguish between - that which is good, and that which is not.

Old 09-11-2015, 08:58 PM

1,614 posts, read 1,244,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Rightly Dividing Scripture?

Having the ability to distinguish between - that which is good, and that which is not.
Yes, and as the OP said, not mixing the covenant of grace with the covenant of law which brings death. No wonder it is such a challenge to communicate with other believers!

Old 09-11-2015, 09:42 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,803,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart_Song View Post
Yes, and as the OP said, not mixing the covenant of grace with the covenant of law which brings death. No wonder it is such a challenge to communicate with other believers!
Not sure what you mean.
Sin unto Death is not to believe in the Son God.
Give an Ear

1 John 5

5 Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him.
2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.
3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.
4 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.

12 He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.

13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.
14 And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us:
15 And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him.
16 If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.

Revelation 14

11 And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.

12 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

13 And I heard a voice from heaven saying unto me, Write, Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord from henceforth: Yea, saith the Spirit, that they may rest from their labours; and their works do follow them.

Old 09-12-2015, 06:00 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,172,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinacled View Post
Not sure what you mean.
Really?
Quote:
Sin unto Death is not to believe in the Son God.
Give an Ear

1 John 5

5 Whosoever believeth that Jesus is the Christ is born of God: and every one that loveth him that begat loveth him also that is begotten of him.
2 By this we know that we love the children of God, when we love God, and keep his commandments.
3 For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous.
4 For whatsoever is born of God overcometh the world: and this is the victory that overcometh the world, even our faith.

12 He that hath the Son hath life; and he that hath not the Son of God hath not life.

13 These things have I written unto you that believe on the name of the Son of God; that ye may know that ye have eternal life, and that ye may believe on the name of the Son of God.
14 And this is the confidence that we have in him, that, if we ask any thing according to his will, he heareth us:
15 And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him.
16 If any man see his brother sin a sin which is not unto death, he shall ask, and he shall give him life for them that sin not unto death. There is a sin unto death: I do not say that he shall pray for it.
Thanks, that's another point - who is the audience?

In the first chapter of 1 John, he is speaking to agnostic Jews who did not believe there was a God, or that there was a sin issue. The oft quoted verse, "If we confess our sin..." the meaning is totally different than we are using it.

"Confess" (Greek: homologeo) means to "agree with" or "say the same" - these agnostics needed to agree with God about their need for Him. Doesn't that change the way we read it?

Quote:
Revelation 14

11 And the smoke of their torment ascendeth up for ever and ever: and they have no rest day nor night, who worship the beast and his image, and whosoever receiveth the mark of his name.

12 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

13 And I heard a voice from heaven saying unto me, Write, Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord from henceforth: Yea, saith the Spirit, that they may rest from their labours; and their works do follow them.
Obedience to what? The faith! That's hoping in the Cornerstone of our redemption and justification.

Quote:
Jesus called for people to believe in Him. Thus whenever anyone believes in
Him, he is obeying Him. Saving faith is an act of obedience.

So, you should not be bothered by the idea of faith as an act of obedience.
The obedience of faith spoken of in Rom 1:5 and 16:26 does not refer
to obeying all that God has commanded. No one but the Lord Jesus has done that.
Rather, it refers specifically to obeying the command to believe the Gospel. If
you've done that, you've exercised the obedience of faith.

The Obedience Which Is Faith--Romans 1:5 and 16:26
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity