Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2015, 11:50 AM

440 posts, read 377,279 times

Advertisements

When I was in the Pentescostal church I noticed that even though some people disagreed with some premises promoted by the church and the violent expressions of cristianity, most will not voice their opposing views because that might isolate them from the rest of the church and cause some sort of disruption.

In my experience, the Pentecostal church works as a big family, most don't want to cause a disruption in their family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2015, 12:02 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,804,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Haukur View Post
When I was in the Pentescostal church I noticed that even though some people disagreed with some premises promoted by the church and the violent expressions of cristianity, most will not voice their opposing views because that might isolate them from the rest of the church and cause some sort of disruption.

In my experience, the Pentecostal church works as a big family, most don't want to cause a disruption in their family.
There definitely is something to this. Moderates may be unwilling to voice objections to the extremists for the sake of unity within the church. However, I think when the extremists are preaching a message that is twisting and perverting the true message, something must be said. A lot of today's most extreme right wing evangelicals aren't far off from the Westboro Baptist Church in their message. This makes me wonder if the WBC would have not picketed military funerals (something held to be near sacred by conservatives) and simply stuck to AIDS victims and LGBT-oriented events, if there would have been as much of an outcry against them from the right. I am almost certain there would not have been.

Old 09-27-2015, 07:12 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,919,546 times
This is how serious Jesus is about it .
luke13: 23.24. Matthew7;13.14..21.22.23.
It is a narrow way. And. Few there be that find it.
Jesus said in all his teaching .desperation is essential.
. There is no room for. Passive players..

Old 09-28-2015, 04:14 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
This is how serious Jesus is about it .
luke13: 23.24. Matthew7;13.14..21.22.23.
It is a narrow way. And. Few there be that find it.
Jesus said in all his teaching .desperation is essential.
. There is no room for. Passive players..
I always remember this when some one tells me there are MILLIONS and MILLIONS of evangelical fundies heading to heaven...just doesn't sound like a FEW to me...

Old 09-28-2015, 12:34 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I always remember this when some one tells me there are MILLIONS and MILLIONS of evangelical fundies heading to heaven...just doesn't sound like a FEW to me...
Liberals or fundies or any other group in between are likely to be among the many not the few.

Old 09-28-2015, 12:38 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,383,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Liberals or fundies or any other group in between are likely to be among the many not the few.
But, of course, you will be one of the few, not the many.

Old 09-28-2015, 04:34 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,919,546 times
Jesus said strive to enter the strait gate.
Striving is not merely reliant on what men teach.
It is the desperation of knowing God's POV.

Old 09-28-2015, 06:49 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
But, of course, you will be one of the few, not the many.
Hope so.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:10 PM

3,052 posts, read 2,923,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Choir Loft View Post
Moral deafness, the inability to hear the call to repent, is not the same as spiritual silence.

The love of God is often deliberately misrepresented by sinners so as to justify their wickedness. Be not deceived, God is not mocked. Whatever a man sows, that he shall reap. If a man sows unto eternal life, he will reap it. If a man sows wickedness, he will reap destruction.

- The love of God NEVER allows license to sin.
- Forgiveness is NEVER given by God unless repentance is first sincerely and utterly expressed and sought.
- NO PRAYER will ever be heard by God from a sinner except for the prayer of sincere repentance and humble petition for forgiveness.

Everything else is bovine excrement.

Make no mistake. God HATES sinners. The fires of hell are stoked for sinners. There is no such thing in the Bible as an abstract of sin. Jesus did not die for an abstraction. Sinners are cast into hell, not ideas. The American nesting ground of vile affection, condemned throughout the Bible, continually and absolutely obfuscates the love of God. Divine love enables forgiveness and restraint. It NEVER supports perpetual indulgence. It NEVER approves of the gay lifestyle.

do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men
- 1 Cor 6:9

Which part of NO does the reader not understand?

But God is not willing that man should be judged or that he should die and has provided an escape from sexual debauchery in the man Jesus. Christ died on the cross for sinners WHO REPENT, who wish to turn away from their sin and embrace the righteousness of God.

The greatest fool in the world is the one who convinces himself that his passions are the only fountain of right behavior. He refuses to believe that death will put an end to his wickedness and that there is another way to live - a better way - God's way.

and that's me, hollering from the choir loft...
I would guess a lot of people would think what you're saying is hateful instead of the truth, which is more evidence for the accuracy of Scripture--that good will be called evil and evil will be called good, that people do not want to hear the truth, just what sounds pleasing to them.

Old 09-28-2015, 11:16 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
You see what you want to see.
Labels and grouping people together makes a lot of people BLIND and DEAF.
"left" "right" "Christian" "muslim" "Atheist"
Idiotic labels.
See the person.
Hear the person.
Not the "label" or the "group".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post

Easier said than done, sometimes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
It definitely takes an effort to push past the labels and see people as individuals instead of groups.
It seems to be ever increasing human nature to put people into a box slap a label on them and judge them THROUGH the lens of that label. But that is the lazy, non-thinking way of interaction.
Once you allow someone to label you, they can lump all sorts of things under that label and point at you and say "THIS IS YOU." When nothing could be further from the truth.
I see it here A LOT.
Forget the whole political "R" versus "D" nonsense. That's a whole other nightmare of confusion and ridiculousness. People have a particular opinion on one or a few topics and suddenly you have others labeling you as "this" or "that" and attaching all of the baggage from one of those groups to you.
It is disgusting.
It is lazy.
It dishonors and disrespects others.
Not to mention, how much of a puffed ego it can give another person to do so. Because they feel they are fighting against oppression and little do they realize, they are the oppressors.
See each person as an individual.
Get to know that person and their thoughts and views.
We are WAY too divided for our own good.
And labels only serve to further that horrible divide.
/rant.
You can rant like this all you want, little sparrow. You are right on. Rock on, precious one!! Rep IOUs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity