Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2015, 05:03 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
Many conscientious objectors served in Vietnam. They did duties where they didn't have to kill anyone. They saved many lives working in the hospitals. etc. I would not have wanted to be there without my rifle, it was scary enough with it.
Yep. This country has a long and varied history regarding CO's. Ms. Davis did not invent objecting to something for religious/moral reasons.

Old 09-29-2015, 05:05 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,571,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Which goes back to the "I want to hurt them" attitude. As opposed to walking across the street to another bakery, then choose to go to court.
Of course it does. I would want them to lose their jobs, pay stiff fines, and time in jail. You can pander, if you choose.

Old 09-29-2015, 05:14 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,571,697 times
Quote:
Again, the pope's comment was not about one person.

As for the oath, she took an oath before they changed the laws. It goes back to the prison guard scenario. I have taken a military oath, but should that mean I would have to do obey any law they come up with in the future?
Who cares what the "Pope" says, or thinks. He is a nice old man that's like the hood ornament on a luxury Car. Shiny, and always leading the way, but serves no useful purpose.

You would be expected to obey any new Laws or Instructions given to you as long as you where employed as a Soldier. Then you can move along. Nothing stopping her from doing the same thing, after she resigns.

Old 09-29-2015, 05:59 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times
Quote:
No, I have repeated to no end that if there is a will to find a solution which keeps both sides happy, then one can be found. If there is no will, then one won't be found.

The other thing I have repeated several times is the fact that this is not about Davis specifically.

You disagree with the pope. That's fine. I am sure he was not expecting everyone to agree.
You are absolutely right, and clearly Kim Davis had and has no will to find a solution that in ANY way accommodates those whom she hates and fears.

Old 09-29-2015, 06:25 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times
Quote:
No, I have repeated to no end that if there is a will to find a solution which keeps both sides happy, then one can be found. If there is no will, then one won't be found.

The other thing I have repeated several times is the fact that this is not about Davis specifically.

You disagree with the pope. That's fine. I am sure he was not expecting everyone to agree.
You can only work out a solution if the parties involved all want to do so, couples splitting up, labour disputes and this case. Until Mrs Davis shows some willingness there can be no compromise. She has ruled out herself but also wanted no one from her office to be able to do so nor the office name to appear. She has been offered a compromise but said no and neither you nor she has offered one. You can claim all you want that one us possible but until she is ready to work towards one none will come to pass. Allowing government employees the right to discriminate and deny people their legal rights to services does not seem a good outcome.

Posting over and over that accommodation can be made if people 2ant it and criticizin those who have mentioned what accommodation has been offered as people who want her hurt 8mplies to me that you just might think that she should just get her wsy. Otherwise why don't you suggest something new? Without her will none will be found.

Old 09-29-2015, 06:30 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times
Quote:

Yes on this issue I disagree with the Pope. I doubt there is one person on this planet that I would not disagree on at least one issue.

Old 09-29-2015, 06:38 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,431,879 times
First and foremost, it drives me crazy when CD posters attempt to skew stories to fit their own personal agendas, the Pope never directly stated anything about "government workers" or "gay marriages", in fact, he never said those words, he simply answered a general question that he was asked during a press conference and made a statement that frankly makes sense and he has a very valid point.. If presented with something that is against said person's personal beliefs and morals they have the right to decline to participate, if it means they have to resign from a position then let it be.. The issue with Kim Davis is that she refuses to resign which means that she has been forced by court order to abide by a Supreme Court decision which means that technically, by force, she is endorsing the very matter that she claims is against her personal beliefs, the proper course of action if she feels so strongly about this belief would have been to resign from her position as obviously she does not have the authority to override a Supreme Court decision.. Its really that simple..

Old 09-29-2015, 06:43 PM

3,298 posts, read 2,473,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnight View Post
First and foremost, it drives me crazy when CD posters attempt to skew stories to fit their own personal agendas, the Pope never directly stated anything about "government workers" or "gay marriages", in fact, he never said those words, he simply answered a general question that he was asked during a press conference and made a statement that frankly makes sense and he has a very valid point..
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch33 View Post
Anyone else think this is just a matter of a couple media outlets taking something the pope said generally and spinning it to apply to the Kim Davis kerfuffle? Lawd knows they've been trying to force-fit everything else he's said & done on his visit here to fit the current American political agenda.

Old 09-29-2015, 06:55 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnight View Post
First and foremost, it drives me crazy when CD posters attempt to skew stories to fit their own personal agendas, the Pope never directly stated anything about "government workers" or "gay marriages", in fact, he never said those words, he simply answered a general question that he was asked during a press conference and made a statement that frankly makes sense and he has a very valid point.. If presented with something that is against said person's personal beliefs and morals they have the right to decline to participate, if it means they have to resign from a position then let it be.. The issue with Kim Davis is that she refuses to resign which means that she has been forced by court order to abide by a Supreme Court decision which means that technically, by force, she is endorsing the very matter that she claims is against her personal beliefs, the proper course of action if she feels so strongly about this belief would have been to resign from her position as obviously she does not have the authority to override a Supreme Court decision.. Its really that simple..
Actually his words are quoted in the OP, it is you who says "this is what he meant". I have repeated to no end it is not about Davis specifically.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:01 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,431,879 times
Quote:
Actually his words are quoted in the OP, it is you who says "this is what he meant". I have repeated to no end it is not about Davis specifically.
He did not actually. Please see excerpt from the article below, The Pope was asked a question by a reporter and what he actually responded I have highlighted in red below:

On the flight back to Rome, he was asked if he supported individuals, including government officials, who refuse to abide by some laws, such as issuing marriage licenses to gays.

"Conscientious objection must enter into every juridical structure because it is a right," Francis said.

Earlier this month a county official in the state of Kentucky, Kim Davis, went to jail because she refused to issue a marriage license to a gay couple following a Supreme Court decision to make homosexual marriage legal.

Davis's case has taken on national significance in the 2016 presidential campaign, with one Republican contender, Mike Huckabee, holding rallies in favor of Davis, a Apostolic Christian, who has since joined the Republican party.

"I can't have in mind all cases that can exist about conscientious objection but, yes, I can say that conscientious objection is a right that is a part of every human right," he said, speaking in Italian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity