Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-29-2015, 04:37 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Again, the pope's comment was not about one person.

As for the oath, she took an oath before they changed the laws. It goes back to the prison guard scenario. I have taken a military oath, but should that mean I would have to do obey any law they come up with in the future?
Did you READ what she attested to? Never mind trying to deflect, did you READ the oath?

Old 09-29-2015, 04:39 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times
Quote:
I simply said she said "so help me god" at a time when she could not have known that down the road the laws would change and she would be asked to do things which she believes will dishonor God. Would she have taken the oath if the laws was in effect? Probably not.

Again, those willing to find a solution will find it, while those who are not interested in solutions, aren't going to find one.
Let me put it as plainly as this forum will allow.

Follow the flippin' oath you made! End of story... you have no other rights.

Old 09-29-2015, 04:44 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,571,697 times
Quote:
I guess this means the pope and Catholics can be added to the long list of "hateful, bigoted book worshipping Christian fundies".
Not at all. We all already have the right, and have always had the right to refuse to do our jobs, unless we are in Military Service. All you have to do is resign or quit. End of problem. What you don't have a right to do, is refuse to do your job, regardless of the reason, unless its illegal, and keep your job.

Old 09-29-2015, 04:47 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I think it's funny that the left has been fawning over this Pope for his views on climate change, etc., and then he says this. Oops!!!
Really? You think conscientious objectors belong to the conservatives? As I said, during Vietnam the religious right HATED the CO's. Conscientious objectors were considered the lowest of the low by the fundamentalists who thought they should be over in Vietnam fighting the commies. The people who supported them were the liberals.

Got proof for your claim liberals are unhappy with the Pope for what he said? I'm certainly not. IMHO Francis said exactly what the Pope should say.

Old 09-29-2015, 04:49 PM

Quote:
The problem here is that people are so eager to attack her because of her beliefs, that they are not at all interested in finding other solutions to the problem. They are only interested in tearing her down.
BS. She had the solution handed to her by the Court, and refused. Then she made another big stink about it after she got out. People have the right to attack her, and demand her firing, because she is refusing to do the job the "People" hired her to do.

Old 09-29-2015, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
So the government revoked a law that murdering people is not illegal and demands that the government worker kill all the people they see , and if they refuse to do what they are to do in their position , then just fire them ...... So who cares what people think or the morals of the workers ...... See where would you see murdering not illegal , well nazi Germany passed a law say these people where not human , so you could now just kill them

What the....??

Old 09-29-2015, 04:55 PM

19,718 posts, read 10,124,301 times
Many conscientious objectors served in Vietnam. They did duties where they didn't have to kill anyone. They saved many lives working in the hospitals. etc. I would not have wanted to be there without my rifle, it was scary enough with it.

Old 09-29-2015, 04:56 PM

Quote:
In the clerks example it wasn't her who changed, it was the law which suddenly changed and demanded her to do things which she believes would dishonor God. This is why I used the same example in the prison guard scenario.

That's part of her job. To do what the Job requires, new or old. Your argument makes no sense, since every Public Service Office get changes in the Laws all the time. Every State does. Even a Policeman has to enforce Laws that constantly change. His Job is to follow the Law and enforce them. Her job is the same, regardless of how many Laws change.

Old 09-29-2015, 04:59 PM

Quote:
That's the mindset I am talking about. You don't even think about solving a problem.

There are ways to honor her desire to live by her faith while making sure people get their license.

Do you even read posts? How many times do you need to be told that she had a solution given her by the Judge and refused.

Old 09-29-2015, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
That's called an "inconvenience". They could have easily drove to another county to get it, or find another bakery instead of seeking to drive someone out of business.

Why do that. Its easier just to get rid of the problems, instead of pandering to them. Fine, fire, and Jail. Good cures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity