Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2015, 01:37 PM

31,374 posts, read 20,091,717 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
How "the world" treats those who do unseemly things is irrelevant.
We do not seek reward from the world, nor its empty accolades.
If a person worships Christ, he or she must sacrifice those urges,
not act upon them, and make effort to eliminate exposure to seeing
them being done. Of course this is difficult in varying degrees to the
one who is afflicted by these temptations, but with Christ, they can
be overcome and are overcome frequently.
There is nothing to "overcome" if one is gay, except the bigotry of bible thumpers.

Old 11-30-2015, 03:05 PM

1,493 posts, read 1,373,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
How "the world" treats those who do unseemly things is irrelevant.
We do not seek reward from the world, nor its empty accolades.
If a person worships Christ, he or she must sacrifice those urges,
not act upon them, and make effort to eliminate exposure to seeing
them being done. Of course this is difficult in varying degrees to the
one who is afflicted by these temptations, but with Christ, they can
be overcome and are overcome frequently.
Soooo, what if Wardendresden is right from his biblical perspective and THEY'RE NOT SUPPOSE TO OVERCOME IT?! If this is the case, you and most other conservative Christians have been a very painful thorn in their side perhaps ruining great relationships for no reason...and you wonder why the moderate and liberal Christians give you such grief..

Old 11-30-2015, 03:10 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,921,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
Then when my grandfather was using the Bible to say black people should remain separate from whites, he wasn't demeaning anyone--he was, as he said, just observing how the BIBLE pointed out the consequences of the black man's sin.

oh, yeah, I understand what you are saying. It goes back a long, long way.
Well your grandfather is wrong there as there is nothing wrong with the yoking of Caucasians and African Americans.

Old 11-30-2015, 03:10 PM

45,398 posts, read 26,983,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Seems the fundies have a greater difficulties when it comes to teh TWO GREATEST commandments and they always seem to use the bible to justify HATE, OPPRESSION, and PREJUDICE..

Surely YOU can see the difference between LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR and HATING your NEIGHBOR. But WAIT, fundies cannot even agree on WHO their neighbor is...
Actually, you guys can be much more distasteful at times than any gay person...

I'm sorry - was that not loving? My apologies.

Old 11-30-2015, 04:04 PM

350 posts, read 568,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Seems the fundies have a greater difficulties when it comes to teh TWO GREATEST commandments and they always seem to use the bible to justify HATE, OPPRESSION, and PREJUDICE..

Surely YOU can see the difference between LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR and HATING your NEIGHBOR. But WAIT, fundies cannot even agree on WHO their neighbor is...
Here's a scenario for you:

You walk into the bathroom and see that your daughter has a razor blade in her hands is about to slit her wrists in an attempt to commit suicide.

Which of the options you have now is "most loving" choice for her?

1) Close the door and let her commit suicide. It's her life, her choice - who are you to judge?
2) Help her commit suicide. She obviously wants to die, why not help her finish the job?
3) Console her. Tell her you care about her and offer to seek aid from someone more qualified to help than you.
4) Lobby your state representative and ask them to change the law to make suicide illegal.

Take your time...

Old 11-30-2015, 04:16 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,598,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopefish View Post

You walk into the bathroom and see that your daughter has a razor blade in her hands is about to slit her wrists in an attempt to commit suicide.

1) Close the door and let her commit suicide. It's her life, her choice - who are you to judge?
2) Help her commit suicide. She obviously wants to die, why not help her finish the job?
3) Console her. Tell her you care about her and offer to seek aid from someone more qualified to help than you.
4) Lobby your state representative and ask them to change the law to make suicide illegal.

Take your time...
You do not have time. You stop her, and take the blade. What does this have to do with LGBTQ?

With your daughter, you should not only get her help, but you need to get yourself help, too.
Children do not commit suicide without a reason. You should ask yourself what you missed, and take the lesson.

Old 11-30-2015, 04:23 PM

1,493 posts, read 1,373,953 times
Quote:

Take your time...
...wait a minute...given the topic of the thread your not seriously equating homosexual actions with committing suicide are you?...

Old 11-30-2015, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
You do not have time. You stop her, and take the blade. What does this have to do with LGBTQ?

With your daughter, you should not only get her help, but you need to get yourself help, too.
Children do not commit suicide without a reason. You should ask yourself what you missed, and take the lesson.
It's an analogy of sin. Think about it a bit and I think you'll figure out what I'm getting at.

Old 11-30-2015, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrhockney View Post
...wait a minute...given the topic of the thread your not seriously equating homosexual actions with committing suicide are you?...
Replace the word suicide with sin, and I think it's a good example. A bit black and white, but I thought it paints a good picture of the arguments we hear daily on a variety of topics.

Old 11-30-2015, 04:28 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,598,703 times
Quote:
It's an analogy of sin. Think about it a bit and I think you'll figure out what I'm getting at.
I did not need to think about it to understand it is an analogy of your sin. It has nothing to do with LGBTQ.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.