Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-18-2016, 07:04 PM

85 posts, read 67,572 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
It is! At least in me. I love the Bible. For all of it's shortcomings, it's carried the story of Christ to us. I'm being led more by the Spirit of God now, but I do love the Bible. I've been asked how do I know it's the Spirit of God leading me...and I can only say that a child knows their Father's voice.
If it wasn't for the Bible, we'd all not know him. So we're both very blessed

I just want to say the holy scriptures has no "shortcomings" it is THE life-giver.
An instrument of sorts, used By God to save people though . An innate object otherwise does nothing on it's own.

John 20: 30-31The Purpose of This Book

30 uNow Jesus did many other signs vin the presence of the disciples, which are not written in this book; 31 wbut these are written so that you may xbelieve that Jesus is the Christ, ythe Son of God, and that by believing zyou may have life ain his name.

1. So that we may believe in Jesus Christ
2. Know he is the Son of GOD ("by believing these things which are written")
3. So that we may have eternal life in his name

So if we are used by God to teach people to understand the purpose of the holy scriptures, that it is the instrument of salvation used by God to save Them, then they will not reject the truth. But since God saves, and we don't, we just let him take it from there

Old 03-18-2016, 07:08 PM

10,295 posts, read 9,692,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
We are not in the Bible... but the Bible needs to be in believers.

When Jesus encountered times of testing, the Scripture was in Him ready to counter deceptive ungodly theology and worldly wisdom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekigurl View Post
It is! At least in me. I love the Bible. For all of it's shortcomings, it's carried the story of Christ to us. I'm being led more by the Spirit of God now, but I do love the Bible. I've been asked how do I know it's the Spirit of God leading me...and I can only say that a child knows their Father's voice.
Quote:
I believe you.

There are no shortcomings with the Bible... only our limited understanding - for the same Spirit that is responsible for the content is in all who believe in Christ.

You stake your life to Jesus as the Bible portrays Him and His ministry. Don't let anyone sway you into believing that it is flawed.
Quote:
On the money... and in that department, you got me beat. Stick with it.
Quote:
Yep.

Christ died for me. The same Holy Spirit who resides in Him, who is responsible for the content in the Bible, resides in me. I will echo Peter when Jesus asked him if he wanted to check out...

John 6:68 - "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have words of eternal life."

Ultimately it is not about the book, but the Author (singular, not plural).

Amen !

The Lord is awesome, love to watch His Spirit move among the ppl !!

Old 03-18-2016, 07:10 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,910,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimmieGibbler View Post
....... Is it just to oppose Followers of Christ and his teachings, those that adhere to scripture as their truth?
Kimmie, Jesus is the Truth, as well as the Way, and note that in your previous quote The Law was to bring us to Jesus, not to scripture.

39"You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; it is these that testify about Me; 40and you are unwilling to come to Me so that you may have life.

Old 03-18-2016, 07:10 PM

10,295 posts, read 9,692,543 times
Quote:
If it wasn't for the Bible, we'd all not know him. So we're both very blessed

I just want to say the holy scriptures has no "shortcomings" it is THE life-giver.
An instrument of sorts, used By God to save people though . An innate object otherwise does nothing on it's own.

John 20: 30-31The Purpose of This Book

30 uNow Jesus did many other signs vin the presence of the disciples, which are not written in this book; 31 wbut these are written so that you may xbelieve that Jesus is the Christ, ythe Son of God, and that by believing zyou may have life ain his name.

1. So that we may believe in Jesus Christ
2. Know he is the Son of GOD ("by believing these things which are written")
3. So that we may have eternal life in his name

So if we are used by God to teach people to understand the purpose of the holy scriptures, that it is the instrument of salvation used by God to save Them, then they will not reject the truth. But since God saves, and we don't, we just let him take it from there
Amen, KimmieGibbler !

Old 03-18-2016, 07:14 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,910,926 times
Quote:
We are not in the Bible... but the Bible needs to be in believers.

When Jesus encountered times of testing, the Scripture was in Him ready to counter deceptive ungodly theology and worldly wisdom.
The Spirit needs to be in believers of which Spirit the Bible is ONE of the tools.

Old 03-18-2016, 07:26 PM

6,786 posts, read 2,896,488 times
Quote:
2 Timothy 3: 16 All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness;
17so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work.
You DO realize that this statement was made before the New Testament was written and compiled, do you not? That is unless Paul somehow had an advanced copy of scripture before it was even written. Paul would have been referring to the Torah, the Jewish Bible. Are you okay with the Old Testament laws and such that Paul states are profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness? Or, does your viewpoint on 'scripture' used for this purpose now change somewhat once you know that Paul was not referring to the New Testament but the Torah?

That there was no such thing as the New Testament is something that the average Christian would not consider whenever they quote 2 Timothy 3:16.

Old 03-18-2016, 07:27 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,639,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
That's worse than ciggs Geekigirl. You cough after every toke because you are breathing in wet oil, it coats your lungs and you get popcorn lung. You seriously get an addiction problem because of the fact that when you substitute ecig, you will smoke it 10 times more than you smoked cigarettes and that's the catch. You breath in wet oil day and night and you are never without that stupid thing.
You are breathing in vapor, not wet oil. No tar, no coughing, no sore throat. I idolize my binky!

Old 03-18-2016, 07:28 PM

Jesus clarifies the WRITTEN WORD

John 20: 27-31
Then saith he to Thomas, Reach hither thy finger, and behold my hands; and reach hither thy hand, and thrust it into my side: and be not faithless, but believing.
28 And Thomas answered and said unto him, My Lord and my God.
29 Jesus saith unto him, Thomas, because thou hast seen me, thou hast believed: blessed are they that have not seen, and yet have believed.
30 And many other didtruly did Jesus in the presence of his disciples, which are not written in this book:
31 But these are written, that ye might believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing ye might have life through his name

So some believed through seeing and touching the Christ
Thomas (also known as doubting Thomas) asserted this would be a requirement for his faith in Christ.

It says JESUS IS THE WORD in the OT. The walking WORD alive in the flesh of a mere man.

We also have THE WORD aka his WRITTEN WORD.

Both are equally alive
https://www.biblegateway.com/passage...Hebrews+4%3A12
http://biblehub.com/2_timothy/3-16.htm

So if you lived in the OT back in the day....and chose to reject his verbal word, then you'd reject him. Just as we do when we refuse to go to his word again (assigned to us in written word this time)

Now in the NT, we also have the opportunity to reject is word, just as alive..as it was when he breathed each word out. Except now it is his WRITTEN WORD. He saved others through signs, parables and preaching. Same thing today except we read about it, the holy spirit supernaturally comes alive and we then start a conversation and relationship with Jesus just as if he is present with us, in this room, giving us his oral word.

So you cannot discuss ANY TOPIC found in the Gospel without HIS WORD (Written was assigned to us). That is his mandate for Disciples of Christ. It was his Verbal word via his own mouth, and now it is written word, just as alive.

Imagine discussing a bible topic, Jesus walked up, then we placed our fingers over his mouth to silence him. Then we looked TO EACH OTHER instead and discussed him while he was RIGHT THERE. Not allowing him to correct our errors, have a relationship with him by speaking with him. That is what we do when we reject his word, written or verbal. He was flesh, he couldn't be everywhere at once. Only in spirit form can he be that. So we must allow him to be with us each time we read his word. Allow his word to teach and correct us, ask him questions in our mind, and allow scripture to answer them. Make friends with other Christians so we share him as our FATHER and we relate to each other as the family we are.

Old 03-18-2016, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomulusXXV View Post
You DO realize that this statement was made before the New Testament was written and compiled, do you not? That is unless Paul somehow had an advanced copy of scripture before it was even written. Paul would have been referring to the Torah, the Jewish Bible. Are you okay with the Old Testament laws and such that Paul states are profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness? Or, does your viewpoint on 'scripture' used for this purpose now change somewhat once you know that Paul was not referring to the New Testament but the Torah?

That there was no such thing as the New Testament is something that the average Christian would not consider whenever they quote 2 Timothy 3:16.
The same truths are re-iterated in the NT.
With all due respect, I don't want to be harassed so will not be continuing a conversation with you. We know how this ends
But you know that. I cannot keep cutting and pasting my posts to dispel your lies and false accusations about me.
It takes too much time and you have no shame to continue doing it. You do not like Christians / Disciples of Christ

Old 03-18-2016, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Kimmie, Jesus is the Truth, as well as the Way, and note that in your previous quote The Law was to bring us to Jesus, not to scripture.
39"You search the Scriptures because you think that in them you have eternal life; it is these that testify about Me; 40and you are unwilling to come to Me so that you may have life.
Yes Satan didn't come to God despite searching the scriptures.
But searching is different than reading the Gospel which is "God breathed "and alive to the saved. Having a real relationship with
Jesus through his active and living word.

Just as alive as when Jesus spoke in person. Otherwise to the unsaved, it is just an inanimate object.

John 20: 30-31

The Purpose of This Book
30 uNow Jesus did many other signs in the presence of the disciples, which are not written in this book; 31 but these are written so that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, is the Son of God, and that by believing you may have life in his name.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.