Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 11:05 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,914,052 times

Advertisements

I got a sense of Déjà vu all over again when I read the headlines, "Oslo: 1993-2015, RIP"

Quote:
The Oslo Accords and its attendant peace process came into the world with a bang 22 years ago. This past week they exited with a sad whimper.
Once a focus of the world's concern, at this year's United Nation's General Assembly opening session the Israeli/Palestinian conflict was, at best, an afterthought. Neither US President Obama nor Russian Federation President Vladimir Putin even mentioned the issue in their speeches. Worse still was how the question of Palestine was mangled and abused in speeches delivered by Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Palestinian Authority President Mahmoud Abbas.

I recall how back in 1993 all the prophecy gurus (most of them are dead now, having experienced their own personal "rapture") were trumpeting that this was the peace agreement Israel was supposed to be signing with antichrist per Daniel 9:27 that would usher in the 7-year tribulation and the return of Jesus at Armageddon---oddly enough, coinciding perfect with the year, 2000 AD and a pinpoint windup of 6000 years of man's rule on earth (6 days of creation followed by a 7th day of rest called the "Millennium", 'memba that, kiddies? )

Books on prophecy shot through the ceiling that year and nutjobs like Hal Lindsey, Grant Jefferies, Jack Van Impe, Salem Kirban, and about 200 others made boatloads of $$$$'s selling this silliness to gullible Christians (I know, because at the time I was one of those gullible Christians who bought 'em all ) who started giving away all their possessions, writing out their wills, making arrangement for an unsaved relative to take care of their pets when they were whisked off into the wild blue yonder in the rapture, etc. A lot of them are now homeless--poor as a church mouse, sadly.

Well, here we are 22 years later still waiting (waiting's a itch , isn't it?)

I sort of get nostalgic thinking back to those days of innocence and "ignorance is bliss". I was so naïve and green about all this stuff back then. Course since then I've wised up quite a bit. And from what I read I take it many of you CD readers have wised up too. Course there are still a few diehards here who insist the rapture tribulation is still coming (we know who you are ).

So the peace accords are dead. The tetrad "blood moons" are come and gone with no rapture in sight and not a hint of even a "rumor of war" much less a 7-year tribulation about to sweep the world.

But never fear. The prophecy gurus will always have an ace up their sleeve to fleece a new generation of young, wet-behind-the-ears Christians who will swallow anything these gurus are peddling. I might even buy one of their paperbacks myself just for old times' sake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2015, 12:12 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I got a sense of Déjà vu all over again when I read the headlines, "Oslo: 1993-2015, RIP"

I recall how back in 1993 all the prophecy gurus (most of them are dead now, having experienced their own personal "rapture") were trumpeting that this was the peace agreement Israel was supposed to be signing with antichrist per Daniel 9:27 that would usher in the 7-year tribulation and the return of Jesus at Armageddon---oddly enough, coinciding perfect with the year, 2000 AD and a pinpoint windup of 6000 years of man's rule on earth (6 days of creation followed by a 7th day of rest called the "Millennium", 'memba that, kiddies? )

Books on prophecy shot through the ceiling that year and nutjobs like Hal Lindsey, Grant Jefferies, Jack Van Impe, Salem Kirban, and about 200 others made boatloads of $$$$'s selling this silliness to gullible Christians (I know, because at the time I was one of those gullible Christians who bought 'em all ) who started giving away all their possessions, writing out their wills, making arrangement for an unsaved relative to take care of their pets when they were whisked off into the wild blue yonder in the rapture, etc. A lot of them are now homeless--poor as a church mouse, sadly.

I sort of get nostalgic thinking back to those days of innocence and "ignorance is bliss". I was so naïve and green about all this stuff back then. Course since then I've wised up quite a bit. And from what I read I take it many of you CD readers have wised up too. Course there are still a few diehards here who insist the rapture tribulation is still coming (we know who you are ).

So the peace accords are dead. The tetrad "blood moons" are come and gone with no rapture in sight and not a hint of even a "rumor of war" much less a 7-year tribulation about to sweep the world.

But never fear. The prophecy gurus will always have an ace up their sleeve to fleece a new generation of young, wet-behind-the-ears Christians who will swallow anything these gurus are peddling. I might even buy one of their paperbacks myself just for old times' sake.
You're taking a fringe group of wingnuts and arguing that it represents mainstream Christianity. This is maddening. Most Christians thought they were wrong then. It's not intellectually honest to attack Christianity based on their failures.

I'm sorry if you were one of the people gullible enough to buy into it, as you say. I can understand why you're so opposed to Christianity if you think this is a fair representation of it.

Old 10-03-2015, 04:07 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,014,164 times
We always thought that the year 2000 would scare people into a conviction and then be converted to Christ , and many people did and many people ran back to the world with their back to Jesus , but there is nothing anyone can do if people turn their back of Jesus ..................... With the tribulation Jesus says there is still time , and people pushing the time is just a hope in faith ....................... In the time line of the tribulation still waiting for the frog demon that come out of the mouth of the dragon spirit to be stronger , as the world is not listening enough for the time is not yet ...................... See these frog demons will undermine Jesus Christ and the Jewish nation with their lies so the world will oppose Christianity and the Jewish nation is a larger way , as Jesus opposes lies and these frog demons manipulation and the people listening to them , and people who engage will never see heaven .................. See the final sign before Armageddon is Revelation 16:13-14

Old 10-03-2015, 04:09 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,392,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
You're taking a fringe group of wingnuts and arguing that it represents mainstream Christianity. This is maddening. Most Christians thought they were wrong then. It's not intellectually honest to attack Christianity based on their failures.

I'm sorry if you were one of the people gullible enough to buy into it, as you say. I can understand why you're so opposed to Christianity if you think this is a fair representation of it.
True and common.

Pick an oddity and brand everyone with it.

It is easier than actually dealing with valid issues.

Old 10-03-2015, 04:30 PM

Quote:

Probably part of the reason, but the biggest problem with all this is that the "Big Three" (TBS, DayStar and GodTV all lease lots of airtime to prophecy gurus who push this idea the rapture/tribulation is just around the corner. It's why their pitch is always "Give now---it may be too late later because the rapture could happen tonight!"

Quote:
The Babylon Code: Solving the Bible’s Greatest End Times Mystery
Paul McGuire and Troy Anderson

A mystery-solving journey into the connection between the world’s most infamous secret society, the Bible’s greatest prophetic riddle, and the surprising hope we can have in the end times.
Paul McGuire | Internationally Recognized Prophecy Expert, Speaker & Author

Quote:
Bible Expert Joel Rosenberg Delivers 3 Reasons Why Those Dismissing Syria-Related Prophecies May Be Dead Wrong
Bible Expert Joel Rosenberg Delivers 3 Reasons Why Those Dismissing Syria-Related Prophecies May Be Dead Wrong | TheBlaze.com

Quote:
'Harbinger' Author Reveals Prophetic Seven-Year Biblical Pattern in America's History
'Harbinger' Author Reveals Prophetic Seven-Year Biblical Pattern in America's History ? Charisma News

John Ankerberg -- An apologist of biblical issues
Kenton Beshore -- Dedicated to the fulfillment of Romans 1:16
Jonathan Cahn -- Author of the best-seller, The Harbinger
Jimmy DeYoung -- An expert on the Middle East
Russ Doughten -- Father of the Modern Christian Movie
Daymond Duck -- A best-selling author of many books
Les Feldick -- Proficient Bible teacher
Gary D. Frazier -- Founder of Discovery Ministries
Arno Froese -- Editor of Midnight Call magazine
John Hagee -- founder and Pastor of Cornerstone Church
Mark Hitchcock -- One of the top selling prophecy authors
Ed Hindson -- A busy man who wears many hat
Noah Hutchings -- President of Southwest Radio Ministries
Thomas Ice -- Defender of the pre-trib view
Terry James -- A great speaker and a dear friend
David Jeremiah -- A highly sought-after conference speaker
Gary Kah -- The only conspiracy speaker that makes sense
Tim LaHaye -- One of the greats of Christian fiction
Hal Lindsey -- A giant in the world of Bible prophecy
Jan Markell -- Founder of Olive Tree Ministries
Chuck Missler -- A man gifted in business and now in prophecy
David Noeble -- An authority on the decline of morality
Donald Perkins -- A man with the best prophetic charts
Randall Price -- An expert in the field of biblical archaeology
David Reagan -- A dependable source of reliable information
Ron Rhodes -- President of Reasoning from the Scriptures Min.
Joel C. Rosenberg -- Best selling author, international speaker
Larry Spargimino -- A man of talent who stays busy
Gary Stearman -- A leading name in prophecy
Perry Stone -- A prophecy expert that does claim to be one
Jack Van Impe -- Known as the "Walking Bible"

I think back to those days of innocence and get a little misty-eyed. (sniff)

Old 10-03-2015, 09:01 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Quote:

I will agree the point you are making if you can link to a post of yours before the event saying these people are fruitloops and it isn't going to happen. It is easy to claim skepticism after the prophecy fails.

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
True and common.

Pick an oddity and brand everyone with it.

It is easier than actually dealing with valid issues.
We deal with those to..and we are asked why we just don't stop talking about what we don't believe in.

For the record I don't believe that you are typical of Christians.

Old 10-03-2015, 09:06 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,026,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
We always thought that the year 2000 would scare people into a conviction and then be converted to Christ , and many people did and many people ran back to the world with their back to Jesus , but there is nothing anyone can do if people turn their back of Jesus.
That's because they realized that you duped them and made fools of them...

Old 10-04-2015, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
That's because they realized that you duped them and made fools of them...
Hal Lindsey is the guru who spearheaded most of the modern thought on rapture/tribulation with his Late Great Planet Earth. All the authors in my post no. 5 pretty much took their cue from his 1970 bestseller.

Lindsey drew parallels between 1917 (General Allenby and Jerusalem), 1967 (six-day war) and 2017 (100 years after Allenby)---1948 (birth of Israel), 1988 (40-year generation complete) and 2017 (39 years being the time the Israelites actually wandered in the Sinai, or something) All of this was being tied to 2017 being the year of Jesus' return minus 7 years for tribulation giving us 2010 for the start of the tribulation.

Of course all this is history now. We are 1 1/2 years away from 2017 and nothing fits. The 40-year generation got stretched to 70 years, then 80 by way of Psalm 90 verse 10:

Quote:
Our days may come to 70 years,
or 80, if our strength endures;
but tagging that onto 1967, the last significant date in Jewish modern history buys the prophecy gurus until 2047---more than enough time to come up with all sorts of cockeyed theories upon which to write a whole plethora of paperbacks at $16.95 a pop and pluck a whole new flock of gullible Christians just ripe for the plucking. It should be interesting to see how the prophecy spin doctors spin the next blood moon tetrad in 2033, the last tetrad for 500 years or thereabouts. Course all of us here will be dead and buried by the time all this wraps up in 2047. But it's been an interesting ride to watch how everything from 1917 to 2017 has crashed and burned.

Old 10-04-2015, 04:02 PM

224 posts, read 273,477 times
Quote:
but tagging that onto 1967, the last significant date in Jewish modern history buys the prophecy gurus until 2047---
Which will be just in time for melting polar icecaps to submerge many coastal cities and turn California's Sacramento Valley into the Sacramento Bay.

Old 10-04-2015, 04:06 PM

224 posts, read 273,477 times
Quote:

Hey, Jesus HIMSELF said that none of us know the day or the hour of his returning, not even He Himself; only the Father knows when. All we are to do is be watchful and stay ready.

But everybody wants to be known throughout history as the person who was smart enough to accurately predict Christ's return.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity