Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 09:12 AM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times

Advertisements

I don't like gory movies nor do I go to really scary "haunted house" attractions, but I LOVE Halloween. It's almost my favorite holiday because it's non-religious and anyone can enjoy it - young or old. I love the neigbors' Halloween yard displays and lights. I only wish we had street lights on my cross street because there are no trick or treaters on my street (they avoid it because it's pitch black after dark.) I miss the kids that came around when I lived in a nearby beach town - you could really hand out a lot of candy there - it was a blast!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2015, 12:15 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,501,648 times
Default Is Halloween the Devil’s Day? Catholic Perspective from Dr Taylor

Is Halloween the Devil's Day? Catholic Perspective from Dr Taylor - Taylor Marshall)

Interesting article about Halloween.

http://taylormarshall.com/2013/10/to...een-ideas.html

Old 10-31-2015, 04:55 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,008,103 times
Like the devil lost all those people who are saints of God , so this is the hurrah of God and His salvation as the devil looks on with halloween ............ Still we have Christmas eve , and Good Friday before Easter

Old 10-31-2015, 03:24 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,435,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
BUTTHURT NEOPAGAN ALERT!
<snip>
THE HORROR! THE HORROR! HOW DARE THEY POSSIBLY ADD IN A NEW HOLIDAY! THEY HAVE NO RIGHT TO HONOR THEIR ANCESTORS THAT WERE KILLED AND TORTURED FOR THEIR BELIEFS!
Just curious, Janelle, why is it ok for Catholics/Christians to add a holiday, but it's not ok for Pagans to do the same?

Old 11-01-2015, 09:37 AM

7,593 posts, read 6,080,049 times
WELL, Halloween went over well last night. What I did notice was fewer trick or treaters, in spite of the growing neighborhood. I was told that other areas were more crowded. A few streets over, someone had fireworks. Next to them, a DJ with snacks and Adult beverages for the grown ups. And my neighbors and I are already talking about what we will do next year to outdo everyone else. Yea, Verily I say unto thee, this celebration is getting too big and people like myself foot the bill for others pleasure.
And It is worth every penny, because I love my neighbors, the kids that come by, the people I live around. Nothing is too good for them and a monetary amount cannot be placed upon the revelry and fun we had

Which is why when the DEVIL showed up for a brief visit he was not all that happy with us. He told us that he was very displeased with us, having such a good time and showing generosity and love to each other. He was also displeased at our lack of Hypocrisy, how we own up to who we are and what we do. He would prefer that we be miserable, unhappy, selfish and practice hatred towards everyone. He also did not like the fact that so many people of different races were partying together. Said that races should remain separate and hate the others.

While he did like our decorations, he seemed very sad about how we have taken and created our own little paradise without him, without need fort him. He was upset that we do not fear him or take him seriously, and in the end, admitted that there is nothing more he can do. After all, he is very very old
In the end, WEhen we questioned his existence and his proof of who he was, he stated that since he existed, therefore he was. When I pointed out that attempting to lead souls away from God, he was in fact, doing God's Will, by removing those whom God would not want because they are not follwers. When I also pointed out that by removing himself from the life force that is God, and by showing favoritism to certain people, such as those who hate others, then he was in fact no different from the Abrahamic God; With that, He *poof* Disappeared in an unwinnable argument of logic.

Old 11-01-2015, 10:04 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
We had, as usual, a great group of kids. All of them polite and well behaved even in their exuberance. A neighbor had the BBQ going. People new to the neighborhood, which is Mayberry West, introduced themselves. Parents happily gave out glow bracelets and necklaces to the kids who didn't have them.

Most popular costumes: The Hulk and Minnie Mouse. Since I was wearing my Mickey Mouse ears, (I decided to go classic and semi-formal this year and wore my Club 33 ears) I made sure all the little Minnies got extra candy.

Old 11-01-2015, 11:39 AM

23,856 posts, read 13,735,298 times
Quote:
Halloween or Samhain? | Catholic Answers

Our neighbor kids dress up like saints on Halloween. After all that is it's origin. To remember the saints.
That is the catholic interpretation. But halloween is indubitably the immediate descendant of samhain, since the church invented halloween to co-opt samhain.

They still all believed in ghosts, demons, and witches however, so from my point of view, there's nothing to choose between them from a theological standpoint.

Today, for most of us, it's about kids dressing up and getting treats for their efforts. There are a lot of more important things to get excited about.

Old 11-01-2015, 11:45 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,501,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonBeam33 View Post
Just curious, Janelle, why is it ok for Catholics/Christians to add a holiday, but it's not ok for Pagans to do the same?
They can but to mix one with the other is just not accurate.

I like the post I saw today. It said, "Thank God Halloween is over so I don't have to hear people say it's Pagan but now I need strength with Christmas coming up and people saying it's Pagan." or something like that. I could post the pic but if I do I will make the mods upset.

Old 11-02-2015, 02:17 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,489,671 times
Quote:

I like the post I saw today. It said, "Thank God Halloween is over so I don't have to hear people say it's Pagan but now I need strength with Christmas coming up and people saying it's Pagan." or something like that. I could post the pic but if I do I will make the mods upset.
But they are mixed, some traditions and dates...NOT their beliefs, but as the Christian church grew and wanted to bring in more converts it was easier to do by coinciding holidays. That was done very deliberately. Now, ironically, for a long time it was the less religious and/or pagan folks who were pointing that out...but now there are more non-mainstream evangelical Christians recognizing the pagan roots of the holidays and claiming holidays such as Christmas as anti-Christian. Makes my head spin!

Old 11-02-2015, 06:32 PM

4,751 posts, read 5,435,775 times
Quote:

How are they not mixed? Why do you think people dress in costumes on Halloween? What do you think that tree in your living room represents, hmm? And do tell what eggs and rabbits have to do with the resurrection of Jesus?

You can't complain about holidays being "mixed" and then use those pagan elements in your celebrations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity