Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2015, 10:06 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,756,595 times

Advertisements

If homosexuality is such an important issue, why didn't Jesus ever address it? Some conservatives will say he actually did when he said "Haven't you read," he replied, "that at the beginning the Creator 'made them male and female?" but beyond that passive reference to marriage as between a man and a woman, he never mentioned homosexuality. If it really is a nation-destroying sin on the level that most evangelicals today believe it to be, why didn't Jesus give in more attention? You would think something this big, something so evil that God will completely wipe away an entire society for simply tolerating would at least have been mentioned. Something that significant wouldn't be simply implied, it would be clarified. It isn't like homosexuality wasn't practiced in the Roman world. It was. It was probably more widespread during that era than it has been any time since until the current era.

Paul addressed it in the letter to the Romans, but outside of that one mention, there isn't an explicit mention of homosexuality in the entire New Testament. Being that this seems to be one of the central issues of fundamentalist Christianity in 2015, you would think it would be one of the central issues of the New Testament yet I don't see it.

Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2015, 10:28 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,443,935 times
Being Jesus is God, he did. It's called the OT and in the NT the judgement is issued against many who reject him including the sexual immoral in Revelation.

Old 10-09-2015, 10:32 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,857,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Being Jesus is God, he did. It's called the OT and in the NT the judgement is issued against many who reject him including the sexual immoral in Revelation.
So, you are saying that all of the Old Testament Laws are binding on Christians?

Old 10-09-2015, 10:36 PM

31,374 posts, read 20,058,111 times
Maybe he was in the closet.

Old 10-09-2015, 10:37 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,443,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
So, you are saying that all of the Old Testament Laws are binding on Christians?
They are binding on the unbeliever.

Old 10-09-2015, 10:37 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,882,410 times
Because.....

There was no such entity.

Old 10-09-2015, 10:42 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,772,017 times
The son of man addressed all sin like so.

"By your words you'll be justified and by your words you'll be condemned."

"Anyone who hears my word and does not keep it I am not the one to condemn him for I did not come to condemn the world but to save it. Anyone who rejects me and does not accept my word he already has his judge namely the words I have spoken that's what will condemn him on the last day."

"Sin because they do not believe in me."

"The man who believes in me shall do the works I do"

"The words I speak are not my own it is the Father who lives in me performing His works."

Old 10-10-2015, 01:16 AM

23,654 posts, read 17,441,779 times
Why didn't Jesus address pedophilia, or domestic abuse or sex slaves or all of the hundreds of different sins we can think of? The Ten Commandants covers all sins and Jesus said to follow them.

Old 10-10-2015, 01:56 AM

6,648 posts, read 2,837,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Clarification required on the above statement.

Would you explain what "sexual immoral" means according to 'the word of God' in language that we can all understand?

Thank you.

Old 10-10-2015, 02:13 AM

6,648 posts, read 2,837,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Why didn't Jesus address pedophilia, or domestic abuse or sex slaves or all of the hundreds of different sins we can think of?
So, you're answering the question "Why didn't Jesus address homosexuality" with other questions?

This is the typical ruse used by anti-gay folks whenever this particular question is asked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
The Ten Commandants covers all sins and Jesus said to follow them.
Well, if that is the case this would certainly put most mainstream Christians in the 'biblical doghouse', so to speak, since the majority of them don't appear to give a hoot about the 4th-commandment ...or the 3rd-commandment if one happens to be Catholic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity