Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2015, 04:52 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Who has ever told you you're a pretender? I've never seen that on this board.
Who has ever used that exact word (i.e. "pretender")? Nobody that I can think of. But quite a number of people have told me that I'm not a "real Christian," even though I claim to be. If I claim to be something I'm not, then I'm a pretender. But then I'm sure I'm never heard you say I wasn't a Christian, have I, Vizio?

Quote:
But do you have scripture references to support the idea that one can simply claim to be a Christian and they are?
No, now that you mention it, I can't come up with a single verse that explicitly states that. Do you have any scripture references to support the idea that you, Vizio, are better qualified to say whether someone is a Christian than that person himself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2015, 04:54 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Who has ever used that exact word (i.e. "pretender")? Nobody that I can think of. But quite a number of people have told me that I'm not a "real Christian," even though I claim to be. If I claim to be something I'm not, then I'm a pretender. But then I'm sure I'm never heard you say I wasn't a Christian, have I, Vizio?

No, now that you mention it, I can't come up with a single verse that explicitly states that. Do you have any scripture references to support the idea that you, Vizio, are better qualified to say whether someone is a Christian than that person himself?

Old 10-16-2015, 05:01 PM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
People have asked why I posted this or what is making me ask this question here: I'm having something of a spiritual crisis and am trying to figure out who I am and where I stand. I know that this is ultimately between God and I but life is a journey and there are people here further along who may have some wisdom to share so that's why I came here.
My suggestion is to turn to God with your life. He knows you better than you know you. He knows what you desire, but He also will want to be like Him. He may give to you some things that you want... He may want some things from you as well. He wants the best for you. You will come out better in the end.

Old 10-16-2015, 07:48 PM

1,592 posts, read 1,211,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynternight View Post
Is accepting Jesus as your saviour, admitting to being a flawed being and asking him for help and accepting that he died for my sins being a Christian?
The bare minimum is the thief on the cross. He did almost nothing and Jesus said, "Today, you will be with me in paradise."

No formula, no fancy theology.

Old 10-16-2015, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svendrell View Post
The bare minimum is the thief on the cross. He did almost nothing and Jesus said, "Today, you will be with me in paradise."
True, but if he could have come down off that cross and been able to live a long life, would it have mattered what happened on the cross if he'd gone back to being a thief? Somewhere along the line, true repentance has to come in.

Old 10-16-2015, 08:41 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
'Christian', to me, is a label of a person who believes, professes and
follows the Nicene Creed. That is how it was set by Constantine, period.

Following or doing what Jesus said with your heart and soul...2 different things.
And, ps, Wynternight, He adores you.

Old 10-16-2015, 09:05 PM

1,614 posts, read 1,244,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Our part is supplying the faith in the gospel of Christ. However, no one is a Christian until God validates one's faith by sending them the Holy Spirit.
Your part is not to supply faith. Faith is of God and comes from God. You can testify about Christ, but you cannot impart faith to anyone. People either have faith in Christ or they do not. God is sovereign over all.

Old 10-16-2015, 09:05 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
However, no one is a Christian until God validates one's faith
by sending them the Holy Spirit.
Where does it say this 'anywhere'.
Thank you.

And lemme tell ya, I'm all for the Holy Spirit entering someone's life.

Old 10-16-2015, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
'Christian', to me, is a label of a person who believes, professes and
follows the Nicene Creed. That is how it was set by Constantine, period.
What about how it was set by Jesus, and what about His followers who lived before Constantine and before the Nicene Creed was written? What was their creed and how could one recognize a Christian during the first three centuries after Christ's death?

Old 10-16-2015, 09:34 PM

1,592 posts, read 1,211,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
True, but if he could have come down off that cross and been able to live a long life, would it have mattered what happened on the cross if he'd gone back to being a thief? Somewhere along the line, true repentance has to come in.
To me, it would not have mattered. True repentance does not prevent future trespasses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity