Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 01:52 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,914,670 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
I have never had this issue. I stopped involving myself with parsing the minutia of faith.

My house has never been divided. If you believe your religion is the one and true. I am happy for you. Every religion believes the same.

The competition for the crown is silly.

Jesus teachings prove it all and who is who.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2015, 02:09 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,612,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
Jesus teachings prove it all and who is who.
Since God and I are old friends we are in agreement about the meaning of Jesus' teachings. I am not okay with the whole, who is who nonsense.

The next time my JW friends come knocking on my door, I am going to invite them to the local food bank to sort cans ,and prepare food baskets for families in our area. I think we can use our love of God and our neighbors to work together.

Old 10-24-2015, 02:14 PM

339 posts, read 194,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecheese View Post
You have not one bit of evidence this is so, the Bible is NOT evidence!
No, it is proof of one's faith, which does produce evidence. This is a spiritual law that those who do not worship God in spirit and truth will not understand nor accept.

Old 10-24-2015, 02:42 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Since God and I are old friends we are in agreement about the meaning of Jesus' teachings. I am not okay with the whole, who is who nonsense.

The next time my JW friends come knocking on my door, I am going to invite them to the local food bank to sort cans ,and prepare food baskets for families in our area. I think we can use our love of God and our neighbors to work together.
An excellent idea. I think Jesus would be pleased.

Old 10-25-2015, 08:49 AM

7,593 posts, read 6,080,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecheese View Post
As my husband and I had very bad experiences of having the Christian religion, of the fundamentalist/Biblical literalist dogma, forced down our throats as children, we were determined our own kids would not be subjected to any pressure. As there is no evidence to support any religion it is up to the individual to decide for themselves. Our girls are Christians, one an Anglican Priest, fortunately they are not fundies/Biblical literalists which would be hard to take, but up to them of course.

Do other posters let their children decide for themselves?
I can say decide, because likewise I had similar bad experiences so I have, along the way, pointed out the evils of those types of religions.
Instead, I focus on the self actualization model of psychology, and focus on raising well adjusted kids. I also take them to Buddhist meetings and they love that.

I have taught them to be socially responsible, to be humanists, and to not judge others but instead to do their part to spread happiness and be helpful when appropriate.
And they know that they do not need a god for that.

Both are atheists too.

Old 10-25-2015, 09:11 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanJP View Post
No, it is proof of one's faith, which does produce evidence. This is a spiritual law that those who do not worship God in spirit and truth will not understand nor accept.
Oh, we understand it very well. We just don't accept it as anything but confirmation bias.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:56 AM

339 posts, read 194,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Oh, we understand it very well. We just don't accept it as anything but confirmation bias.
Impossible, because you don't see with spiritual eyes and have not been born of the Spirit. Using spiritual vernacular when one is NOT spiritual, is like going to China and continuing to use English.

Old 10-26-2015, 10:10 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanJP View Post
Impossible, because you don't see with spiritual eyes and have not been born of the Spirit. Using spiritual vernacular when one is NOT spiritual, is like going to China and continuing to use English.
Yeah, Arq.

It's like those X-ray Glasses that were advertised in comic books when I was a kid. They (supposedly) allowed you to see through walls! You could (ostensibly) see into the girls' change room at school!

Sadly Arq, you and I and any non-Fundy, are bereft of "spiritual eyes." When we are confronted with, for instance, something nonsensical from the bible - like being gay is wrong - our lack of "spiritual eyes" prevent us from seeing it as anything but stupid.

Sigh...yet somehow, we bravely carry on as if our lives had meaning.

I admire our pluck.

Old 10-26-2015, 10:12 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
Figure it all out yourself is not good parenting
It paves the way for late bloomers

Old 10-26-2015, 02:08 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,914,670 times
Quote:

You see a temporary fix for the worlds problems--- Jesus gave all the permanent fix to problems like that for free--this is what they should be receiving--the permanent fix = Matt 6:33-- Therefore, keep on seeking-FIRST- the kingdom and his( Jehovah) righteousness, and all these other things will be added( sustenance, covering, spirituality)--Jesus promised his Father-Jehovah would provide all 3 things daily if one applied that single teaching.

How blind certain religions are that claim to serve Jesus--they keep giving the temp fix( a handout)--but fail Jesus and those they try to help by not giving them the permanent fix.---Why is that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity