Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2015, 08:28 AM

689 posts, read 494,779 times

Advertisements

There are some Christians who do a lot for others, but would probably do so even if they were non believers. However there are other Christians who think they have done their bit by running off at the mouth about their faith, but do nothing practical to help those in need! Deeds are much better than words, imo.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2015, 09:08 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Are you asking a question or just venting about stuff of which you do not understand?

Old 10-19-2015, 09:16 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecheese View Post
Deeds are much better than words, imo.
I agree. Talk does not feed the hungry. Sermons do not ease the pain of the sick. We live in a world of great need. It can be quite easy to help make the lives of others better. Many stores have collection boxes for food banks. Add a few extra cans of sliced peaches to the cart..drop them in the box on the way out...boom! Done. Someone in need will be able to enjoy some delicious peaches.

Obviously these thing are done by Christians and non-Christians. The boxes in my stores are often full. It makes me happy to know so many people are conscious of the needs of strangers. The Toys for Tots boxes are out now too. They are getting filled up. Yay!

Old 10-19-2015, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Are you asking a question or just venting about stuff of which you do not understand?
Not understand what? Unfortunately I was a 'born again' Christian as a young person so understand only too well!

Old 10-19-2015, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Not understand what? Unfortunately I was a 'born again' Christian as a young person so understand only too well!
If you truly understood, you wouldn't have even made the statement in your first post.

The thread title is fine - but then you followed up with an attack. I was asking you - if you were asking a question from the thread title, or attacking certain people from your first actual post.

FYI - The red above is impossible - we can start another thread on that.

Old 10-19-2015, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
If you truly understood, you wouldn't have even made the statement in your first post.

The thread title is fine - but then you followed up with an attack. I was asking you - if you were asking a question from the thread title, or attacking certain people from your first actual post.

FYI - The red above is impossible - we can start another thread on that.
I am challenging Christians, usually of the fundie persuasion, who proselytise but do nothing worthwhile in a practical way to help others.

My late unlamented Father-in-law was a case in point, be bored us all with his constant Bible speak, but when it came to putting his hand in his pocket to help feed the starving he refused to do so! He said he would pay for them to received Bibles, though!

Old 10-19-2015, 09:41 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Deeds are much better than words, imo.
Then why are you talking?

People talk all the time, but it doesn't mean that are not doing anything else.

How do you know what people do, or don't do? In order to judge them, you'd have to know, but you don't.

Old 10-19-2015, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Then why are you talking?

People talk all the time, but it doesn't mean that are not doing anything else.

How do you know what people do, or don't do? In order to judge them, you'd have to know, but you don't.
I know a lot of Christians in reality so can judge!

Old 10-19-2015, 09:49 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times
Quote:
I am challenging Christians, usually of the fundie persuasion, who proselytise but do nothing worthwhile in a practical way to help others.

My late unlamented Father-in-law was a case in point, be bored us all with his constant Bible speak, but when it came to putting his hand in his pocket to help feed the starving he refused to do so! He said he would pay for them to received Bibles, though!
Bluecheese, there was this sort of tug-of-war that I recall from my days as a Christian. Myself and other Christians I knew really did want to help, and contributed in many ways. But, there was always the sense that while it was good to help people with their physical needs, if one didn't focus on sharing "the gospel" ["You are going to a place of eternal torment unless you believe Jesus is your savior"], then whatever you did to help people in the here and now was essentially for naught. So, it only stood to reason that the bulk of your passion and effort needed to focus on eternity and helping people with their "here and now" needs was more of a means to an "eternal" end.

My point is ... I think many Christians really do care and want to help, but they sometimes have a misguided sense of how best to do that.

Old 10-19-2015, 09:52 AM

Quote:

In the end, just make sure you are following Christ. Because if you are following Christ, He will tell you when it's time to give - and He will tell who to help.

Do you have a relationship with Christ in that He relates to you personally?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity