Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 08:05 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
How many times am I to forgive those who sin against me?...Seventy times seven...
Once is enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2015, 08:47 PM

339 posts, read 195,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murph1982 View Post
I have went through a lot this past year in my life. I have bounced around from three jobs, each of which has been tougher than the last one. Both my daughters have moved out and my wife and I are empty nesters. I miss them terribly. I am a christian but hardly act like it at times. I have a drinking issue and curse constantly. I keep praying each and every day hoping that things will get better for me at work but they never do. I work over 14 hours a day and left the previous job due to the same issues. I honestly hate my current job. I do not know why in the course of a year I have faced a lay off after 20 years of service, found a job but was mistreated terribly and then started working for another corporation and hate it more than the second job I had this year. Can my life be miserable because of my sins? I ask God for forgiveness and nothing seems to get better. I am happily married which helps but I need some help here. Please give me some suggestions if you can....desperate for help

Adversity breeds perseverance. Don't look to an employer to make you happy in your job, because happiness depends on good happenings. Look to Jesus and learn to trust him. I also suggest you ignore those on here who tell you different. They are nothing but agents of Satan.
1 Cor 10:13
No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.
Rom 8:26-28
In the same way, the Spirit helps us in our weakness. We do not know what we ought to pray for, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us through wordless groans. And he who searches our hearts knows the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for God’s people in accordance with the will of God.
And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

Old 10-21-2015, 08:50 PM

63,810 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Default Sin causing my life to be miserable?

Sounds like alcoholism is causing your life to be miserable.

Old 10-21-2015, 09:05 PM

6,234 posts, read 8,443,944 times
Quit feeling sorry for yourself and move forward. Waiting for some divine intervention to help isn't helping you or your family. Bad stuff happens to EVERYONE and it is just part of life.

Old 10-21-2015, 09:15 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StanJP View Post
Adversity breeds perseverance. Don't look to an employer to make you happy in your job, because happiness depends on good happenings. Look to Jesus and learn to trust him. I also suggest you ignore those on here who tell you different. They are nothing but agents of Satan.
Adversity at its core is merely human drama.
If you have issues, you must deal with them.

Ignoring something, will not make it go away.

Old 10-23-2015, 12:49 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Once is enough.
I was quoting what Yeshua said...

Old 10-23-2015, 12:51 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by April R View Post
I didn't say I wouldn't forgive, but I'm not going to continue shielding them from the legal or natural consequences of their choices.
That is not the point Yeshua was making...70 x 7, or as many times ad necessary...

Old 10-23-2015, 12:53 PM

1,273 posts, read 991,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
That is not the point Yeshua was making...70 x 7, or as many times ad necessary...
I think you are misconstruing forgiveness with absolution

Old 10-23-2015, 01:32 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Once is enough.
Very true, when we find that place of walking in unconditional forgiveness.

Old 10-23-2015, 03:07 PM

350 posts, read 570,275 times
Hey Murph,

I'm sorry things have been so rough. I've had some rough jobs in my short life, but you sound miserable and I can't imagine what you must be going through. You are very lucky to have a supportive wife, like you said, so praise God for that! It's also good to hear that you've been praying about this issue, and I believe God is listening and will help you out of this valley.

The only advice I can offer is to just fully give this problem over to God. Praying for help is a start, but if you aren't already, take some time with your wife and just offer this whole predicament up to God. Ask him to help you to give control of your job situation to him. Ask him to help you to rest easy after the long days, knowing that He is in control and will deliver you to a better place soon. Ask him to help your wife to be your rock when you feel like drinking the anger away, or when you feel like swearing because the pain is just too near the surface to hold in. Ask him to help you stop worrying about things that are outside of your control anyway, like conditions at work or people you interact with there. Once God is at the reigns, he can do miraculous things, and no problem is too big for Him!

I pray that this brings you some hope, and I know that things will get better. God is good!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity