Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-23-2015, 04:40 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,614,977 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
If there was no persecution, there would be no reason to condemn others.
And, that is really annoying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2015, 06:33 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,085,921 times
It stems from self-hatred.

An Independent Baptist Hate List | The Life and Times of Bruce Gerencser

Many Christian pastors teach their flock to hate the world, so that they will, as a result, retreat to their "church family" shutting out the outside world. Not just Christians, Moonies and Hare Krishnas have been doing for years as well.

By making a man hate himself, they are preventing him from loving anyone, and coercing him into hating everyone else.

But for many fundamentalists, hatred of the flesh and of the world is.....um....fundamental.

Which includes you, me, anyone who does not come into church on Sunday and bow down to the pastors authority. And those who grovel before other pastors do not count.

Old 10-23-2015, 07:25 PM

8,172 posts, read 6,924,107 times
Dear Bob, Mary & Stanley,
I tried.
signed,
sparrow

Old 10-23-2015, 07:40 PM

24,116 posts, read 32,468,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Christianity is about a relationship with Jesus Christ first and foremost.

This does not negate that all should be treated respectfully.

Really? Read the gospels. Read Matthew 5.

Stop the revisionist Christianity crap. Faith without works is DEAD.

Jesus doesn't not want people who do not care about what he said to do.

Old 10-23-2015, 07:42 PM

8,172 posts, read 6,924,107 times
Part of being loving towards others is listening.
The cacophony is drowning out a lot of good points in this thread.
A lot of good opportunities that people could learn things from each other and see them through a different lens that they may not have realized before.

The reason human beings (not counting myself out here) make so little progress in this world, it seems, is that people DO pick teams. And anything the other team says or does is not worthy of the respect of listening. That's the greatest tragedy.

And I don't find it funny.
I find it really sad.

Last edited by .sparrow.; 10-23-2015 at 07:50 PM..

Old 10-23-2015, 07:58 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,614,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by .sparrow. View Post
Part of being loving towards others is listening.
The cacophony is drowning out a lot of good points in this thread.
A lot of good opportunities that people could learn things from each other and see them through a different lens that they may not have realized before.

The reason human beings (not counting myself out here) make so little progress in this world, it seems, is that people DO pick teams. And anything the other team says or does is not worthy of the respect of listening. That's the greatest tragedy.

And I don't find it funny.
I find it really sad.
Perry589685968658 and I are having a love fest. We will try to keep it down.

Old 10-23-2015, 08:41 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post

Many Christian pastors teach their flock to hate the world, so that they will, as a result, retreat to their "church family" shutting out the outside world. Not just Christians, Moonies and Hare Krishnas have been doing for years as well.
When did Hare Krishnas start teaching to shut out/hate the world? Hate is in conflict with Krishna Consciousness. The Hare Krishnas who run my favorite vegetarian restaurant obviously missed that memo.

(Govinda's in Culver City if you're ever in the L.A. area. Buffet, gift shop, organic food store. It's next to the Hare Krishna temple, which is open for meditation to non-Krishnas, so they definitely aren't shutting out the world.)

Old 10-23-2015, 09:19 PM

1,614 posts, read 1,244,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Light refracted through a prism reflects different perceptions.
But it doesn't make anyone more, or less valuable.

The only thing you need to guard is your heart.
Lifting this lovely gem you wrote out of the pile of stones.

Old 10-23-2015, 09:51 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,085,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
When did Hare Krishnas start teaching to shut out/hate the world? Hate is in conflict with Krishna Consciousness. The Hare Krishnas who run my favorite vegetarian restaurant obviously missed that memo.

(Govinda's in Culver City if you're ever in the L.A. area. Buffet, gift shop, organic food store. It's next to the Hare Krishna temple, which is open for meditation to non-Krishnas, so they definitely aren't shutting out the world.)
they teach that the outside world is evil, the group, the Hare Krishnas are for the most part the only enlightened ones. Although they do not come across NEARLY as hateful as the Baptists with whim I grew up, who did not operate a vegetarian restaurant and did not hand out free food to the homeless in the neighborhoods around the restaurant. I guess in a way I was wrong, anyone who hands out free food from the restaurant may not be all that bad.

Old 10-23-2015, 09:58 PM

5,553 posts, read 8,003,946 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity