Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 11:13 PM

8,170 posts, read 6,922,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electron View Post
Sinful.
Idolatrous.
Self Centered.
Blasphemous.
Prideful.
Predestined and elected.
Ever read Romans?

Hi,
What does your post mean?
I'm confused.
Thanks,
sparrow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2015, 11:37 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,569,068 times
Sparrow-
A page or two back, somebody asked this question:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
What could people possibly be if not wonderful? And by all means sling a few chapters and verses to substantiate the claim that people are less than wonderful?
My response was an answer to that question.

Old 10-30-2015, 12:18 AM

1,614 posts, read 1,244,645 times
Quote:
Go back and read chapter 9 again. You missed something.
I've read the book of Romans many times, including Chapter 9. As I said earlier, Romans is my favorite book in the New Testament. It certainly can seem a little scary if it falls into the wrong hands though.

Old 10-30-2015, 06:33 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Sinful.
Idolatrous.
Self Centered.
Blasphemous.
Prideful.
Predestined and elected.
Ever read Romans?
If everyone was wonderful, then why are we being called hateful and bigoted? Is hatred and bigotry wonderful? Last week someone called Christians "pure evil". Is pure evil wonderful?

People are trying to have it both ways, and it simply does not work that way.

We all sin, and it's not wonderful.

People can be wonderful, but no one if perfect.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 10-30-2015 at 06:45 AM..

Old 10-30-2015, 02:44 PM

18,491 posts, read 9,157,203 times
"The Kingdom of God is within you."

As an atheist, I couldn't agree more.

Old 01-03-2016, 11:54 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
Came across this interesting meme....
Attached Thumbnails
The Kingdom of God is Within You-naked_weve-moved.jpg  

Old 01-03-2016, 12:15 PM

63,797 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
"The Kingdom of God is within you."
As an atheist, I couldn't agree more.
Then you should join us. It is great in here.

Old 01-03-2016, 01:33 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,711,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I understand the message is appealing and comforting, but it's not true.

That's not how Jesus describes the kingdom of heaven.

It provides a false sense of security - in that people will not trust in Christ for their entrance into the kingdom of God.
Except a man's reach exceed his grasp, what's a heaven for?

Old 01-03-2016, 01:41 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,711,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post
The verse says;" The kingdom of God is among you", not within you.

The kingdom of God is at hand!!!

It is written in the prophets the Lord says this;

"The Lord redeems the lives of His servants ,no one who takes refuge in Him incurs guilt."

"My chosen one's shall inherit my holy mountain, my servants shall dwell there."

I am the light of the world no one who follows me shall ever walk in darkness because he will possess the light of life.

Follow me.
Quote:
Readers of the King James Version will be familiar with the saying, “the kingdom of God is within you,” a literal rendering of the words ἡ βασιλεία τοῦ θεοῦ ἐντὸς ὑμῶν ἐστιν spoken by Christ in Luke 17:21. Several modern versions have instead “the kingdom of God is in the midst of you,” for theological reasons. The new rendering is used only because the translators think it is theologically impossible that Jesus would say that the Kingdom of God is “within” people. But there is no clear attestation for such a meaning as “among” or “in the midst” for the adverb ἐντὸς in any ancient Greek source. It is indisputable that “within” is the ordinary meaning, and the immediate context here also seems to favor this meaning. Here Christ is obviously contrasting the outward appearance (μετὰ παρατηρήσεως “with observation,” v. 20) with the inner spiritual reality of God’s rule. It was understood thus by the translators of all the ancient versions, and by all the Church fathers. Moreover, as S.C. Carpenter explains, “For ‘among’ S. Luke would have said ἐν μέσῳ, which occurs seven times in his Gospel (see especially xxii. 27) and four times in Acts.” (Christianity according to S. Luke [London: S.P.C.K., 1919], p. 103.) See also the more recent discussion in Nigel Turner, Grammatical Insights into the New Testament (Edinburgh: T & T Clark, 1965), pp. 61-3. A thorough review of the linguistic evidence is given in an article published online: Ilaria Ramelli, “Luke 17:21: ‘The Kingdom of God is inside you.’ The Ancient Syriac Versions in Support of the Correct Translation,” Hugoye: Journal of Syriac Studies 12/2 (Summer 2009), pp. 259-286. The circumstance that in Luke’s narrative these words are addressed to unbelieving Jews does not make any difference, because as Olshausen says, “The expression ἐντὸς ὑμῶν does not make the Pharisees members of the kingdom of God, but only sets before them the possibility of their being received into it, inasmuch as an internal and spiritual manifestation is made its universal criterion.”
Interpretation of Luke 17:20-21
No I am not a KJV only person. But if it reflects the personality of Christ as love and acceptance, I accept the translation that most resembles Him.

The spark of God lies in EVERY human being. It resembles Buddhism in that regard, which holds that all of us have a spark of divinity that tries to return from whence it came. That is the reason men feel the urge to discuss God, read about God, reason about God, search for God--look at the number of atheists on the christianity thread. There lies within them, whether they are cognizant or not, a spark of divinity that seeks God even in the midst of their declaration that they do not. If it were a "Santa Claus" fable they would move on. But I believe, deep down, all of us have concern for what is the Ground of all Being.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity