Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 11:25 AM

122 posts, read 112,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Yet another fundie who hasn't done any homework but doesn't let it get in the way of a spittle-flecked rant.

I'm not an atheist.
You have upped the ante to the "spittle-flecked rant" ploy! This is indeed getting serious. I love how, in lieu of substantive answers, so many vehement anti-Christians apparently resort to some playbook of ad hominem attacks and choose phrases at random, without regard to whether they actually fit the circumstances. Perhaps the choir to which you preach enjoys this.

I make my living eating other lawyers' arguments for lunch. Spittle-flecked rants are not part of my repertoire. I do not keep a log, but I believe my last spittle-flecked rant was in 1952, when my mommy unreasonably denied me a second helping of pabulum and I was forced to resort to this tactic. I believe I filled my diapers as well, just to emphasize my point.

I pointedly invited you, in the post to which you responded, to make substantive points if you had any. I hesitate to point this out, but ... you did not. You instead went directly to the ad hominem playbook. (I'm just trying to be helpful here, but I really believe "mindless kettle of magical thinking" would have been a more appropriate choice from the hundreds of alternatives available to you.)

Not that it matters, but:
  1. I would be proud to characterize myself as a "fundie" if I were, in fact, a fundie. Suffice it to say, if I were to characterize myself as a fundie, anyone who knew me would collapse in laughter and any true fundie would be demanding an immediate retraction. "Conservative Christian," yes.
  2. Whether you are an atheist is pretty much irrelevant to the point of my post. "Not an atheist" covers a lot of ground, from Islamic terrorists to lunatics who think they are God. Wherever you may fit on the not-an-atheist spectrum, you do appear to be someone who is virulently opposed to the doctrines of mainstream Christianity. I invited you to provide a substantive response, but alas ... you did not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 11:40 AM

18,491 posts, read 9,153,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Bo Pepys View Post
To reject the Creator of the universe because, by your human understanding, He doesn't "measure up" to human standards is flatly illogical. You can certainly do this, of course, but don't pretend that those who do not are guilty of "unreasoning credulity." You merely expose the superficiality of your position - which, stripped of the hyperbole, boils down to nothing more than "I disagree with what you and many of the greatest minds of the past 2,000 years believe." There is an old saying in the law: When the facts are against you, argue the law; when the law is against you, argue the facts; when both are against you, shout and pound the table. You and your ilk are shouting and pounding the table.
According to the latest research at CERN, the Creator of the Universe is actually a hot dog down at Sheetz. How it ended up in the form of a hot dog at at Sheetz remains a mystery. Further research is anticipated.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheetz

Old 11-04-2015, 12:23 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,172,280 times
Quote:
You have upped the ante to the "spittle-flecked rant" ploy! This is indeed getting serious. I love how, in lieu of substantive answers, so many vehement anti-Christians apparently resort to some playbook of ad hominem attacks and choose phrases at random, without regard to whether they actually fit the circumstances. Perhaps the choir to which you preach enjoys this.

I make my living eating other lawyers' arguments for lunch. Spittle-flecked rants are not part of my repertoire. I do not keep a log, but I believe my last spittle-flecked rant was in 1952, when my mommy unreasonably denied me a second helping of pabulum and I was forced to resort to this tactic. I believe I filled my diapers as well, just to emphasize my point.

I pointedly invited you, in the post to which you responded, to make substantive points if you had any. I hesitate to point this out, but ... you did not. You instead went directly to the ad hominem playbook. (I'm just trying to be helpful here, but I really believe "mindless kettle of magical thinking" would have been a more appropriate choice from the hundreds of alternatives available to you.)

Not that it matters, but:
  1. I would be proud to characterize myself as a "fundie" if I were, in fact, a fundie. Suffice it to say, if I were to characterize myself as a fundie, anyone who knew me would collapse in laughter and any true fundie would be demanding an immediate retraction. "Conservative Christian," yes.
  2. Whether you are an atheist is pretty much irrelevant to the point of my post. "Not an atheist" covers a lot of ground, from Islamic terrorists to lunatics who think they are God. Wherever you may fit on the not-an-atheist spectrum, you do appear to be someone who is virulently opposed to the doctrines of mainstream Christianity. I invited you to provide a substantive response, but alas ... you did not.
You're cute when you're trying not to be apoplectic.

Old 11-04-2015, 01:00 PM

63,785 posts, read 40,053,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I generally avoid discussing these issues with people who believe as you do. There is no reasoning with unreasoning credulity... There is no there-there. But the damaging beliefs in mainstream Christian dogma are legion and can pose a clear and present danger to mental health. The very idea of an eternal torment existing for ANY reason is so incomprehensibly barbaric and ignorant that it qualifies as an insane belief. Yet this extreme abomination is cavalierly accepted by most mainstream Christians without giving the implications of it any real thought. Only a primitive mind would blindly accept as somehow okay the absurd notion of endless torment for ANY reason. It strains the bounds of ANY concept of love, decency, justice, or morality and to pretend that it is somehow justified because of some God's "Holiness" is just beyond the pale!!!! The insanity of the Christian narrative as currently interpreted is unbelievably ludicrous.
Quote:
One of the "primitive minds" who CLEARLY and UNEQUIVOCALLY believed the doctrine and taught it was Jesus. This is why it is impossible to reject or tap-dance away from ("reinterpret") the doctrine and still call oneself a Christian. One can reject Christianity, but one cannot rewrite it to suit one's personal notions of "fairness" or "morality" and still claim to be a Christian. I am not a Christian "because of" the doctrine of Hell - I accept the troubling doctrine of Hell because I am a Christian.
<snip>
This mindless rant in defense of blind faith is exactly why I usually don't bother with people who believe as you do. If you can believe what you do about what Jesus believed, you do not know Jesus or His Father the Spirit of agape love (Who IS God). You keep thinking my problem is with God and it is NOT. It is with the ignorant superstitious beliefs ABOUT God promulgated by primitive barbarians and perpetuated as a sign of faith in God by mindless minions. I cannot conceive of anything more barbaric than eternal torment for ANY reason or more savage and brutal than killing an innocent in the belief that it will somehow please and appease God!!! Have a nice day.

Old 11-04-2015, 01:23 PM

20,439 posts, read 12,777,841 times
Little Bo Pepys, Mystic has just proclaimed you are not a Christian. Congratulations! You must be on the right path.

Old 11-04-2015, 01:27 PM

18,491 posts, read 9,153,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
This mindless rant in defense of blind faith is exactly why I usually don't bother with people who believe as you do. If you can believe what you do about what Jesus believed, you do not know Jesus or His Father the Spirit of agape love (Who IS God). You keep thinking my problem is with God and it is NOT. It is with the ignorant superstitious beliefs ABOUT God promulgated by primitive barbarians and perpetuated as a sign of faith in God by mindless minions. I cannot conceive of anything more barbaric than eternal torment for ANY reason or more savage and brutal than killing an innocent in the belief that it will somehow please and appease God!!! Have a nice day.
You can easily tell that the other guy's religion is balderdash, can't you?

Old 11-04-2015, 01:38 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,220,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
I would never leave my children with people I did not trust 100%. I would never leave my children with a fundamentalist ideologue. I find a fundamentalist ideology was incompatible with my loving parenting style.

We always told our children they could tell us anything. We told them there was nothing we could not fix or manage.
Agreed! I'll inform my kids of religious extremism at the appropriate age. I was subjected to that "get saved or burn in hell for eternity" BS as a child. I actually had anxiety over it for a long time, from age 5 to about 10. Then I started thinking for myself

Old 11-04-2015, 02:33 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,962,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
institute the death penalty for proselytizing other people's children?
Sounds like Islam.

Old 11-04-2015, 02:36 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,962,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
Agreed! I'll inform my kids of religious extremism at the appropriate age. I was subjected to that "get saved or burn in hell for eternity" BS as a child. I actually had anxiety over it for a long time, from age 5 to about 10. Then I started thinking for myself
I was raised a Catholic and was never threatened with it. In fact, we were not allowed to even have the words "devil" or "hell" even come out of our mouths.

It wasn't until I began visiting non-denominational churches that I began hearing about burning in hell for eternity. I too had really bad anxiety over it and quit going to churches. But I still believe in God and Christ and have since found God is not in the torture business. He says He "will have all mankind to be saved" (1 Timothy 2:4-6). But they don't tell you that in most churches.

Old 11-04-2015, 03:01 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,385,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecheese View Post
Having had experience of this type of abuse in my childhood, and knowing it goes on today in extreme religious households, I believe children and the vulnerable need protecting from it. Telling a child they will burn in hell if they don't get 'saved' is wicked. I know for a fact it can cause trauma. When our children were young they opted of their own volition to attend church and Sunday school. It was only years later that our youngest girl revealed she had been told her unbelieving parents would burn in hell. She was instructed that if she informed us the Sunday School teacher had told her that she would also burn in hell! We wondered why she had so many nightmares in those days!

Mind you my husband and I were extremely remiss not to had found out exactly what our kids were being taught! We would have removed them immediately from the evil clutches of those nasty people.

I am on another religious forum where some of the posters claim to be in their very early teens. If that is true it is frightening the sort of extreme Christian dogma they come out with. One can only think they have been severely brain washed by their parents and churches.

I think it should be a specific offence to target kids with that sort of evil garbage, for which there isn't the slightest shred of proof to substantiate it.

I see that some Christians are asking what you suggest be done about it. My question to them is this:

Someone is telling you that from their own experience they know that teaching children such a thing can cause trauma. She's not the first to say it. Many people, both those who are still Christians and those who are ex-Christians, have said the same thing. So, is that of any concern to you? Do you care? If you do, why are you waiting for someone who is not a Christian to tell you what to do about it... shouldn't you be willing to take responsibility for that?

If it isn't a concern to you, why not?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity