Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2015, 09:07 AM

22 posts, read 14,321 times

Advertisements

Sandlin has interpretive flaws in that article, IMO.

It is not exclusionary of YHWH to see Himself as the only path to YHWH in the person of Christ. It is inclusive just as it would be if there was 1 pill that would cure cancer and YHWH offered it to all humanity.

The entire biblical narrative preaches that reverence for any other god except YHWH is an abomination to YHWH. As well, other gods being part of creation cannot give life like YHWH does.

Sandlin has the right attitude, IMO. He cannot believe Jesus would exclude anyone and he is accurate. But, he errs when he sees the inclusiveness of Christ via another god or gods.

It is going to be via Christ either now or at the eschaton. That's where Sandlin needs to concentrate.

That's what Isaiah saw in chapter 45 and Paul alluded to that twice in Romans and Philippians. "Every knee will bow,etc".

I think we worshippers of Christ should re-examine our view of what exactly Jesus accomplished on the cross. His job was to re-claim what was lost at Eden. "I came to seek and to save that which was lost".

Until Augustine, you will find no Christian interpreter who felt Jesus failed at that. The western church has bought into Augustinian nonsense when we accepted his view on that, the eastern church never bought that nonsense.

The Plan of God worked and His Plan was to reclaim all He created. He succeeded at that. Every human will proclaim Jesus is YHWH at the eschaton and like with Paul and Thomas, God recognizes this and accepts their worship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 09:28 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,432,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
What it boiled down to: The Penal Substitution Theory is fallacious.

Synonyms: erroneous, false, untrue, wrong, incorrect, flawed, inaccurate, mistaken, misinformed, misguided; specious, spurious, bogus, fictitious, fabricated, made up; groundless, unfounded, ill-founded, unproven, unsupported, uncorroborated; and full of holes.
That then shows how clueless you are about Biblical teaching or flat out mislead(ing).
Which if it is misleading, then take it back to hell where it belongs.

In the OT, God instituted the sin offering for exactly that purpose:
Exodus 30:10
Leviticus 4
Leviticus 5:10
The priest shall then offer the other as a burnt offering in the prescribed way and make
atonement for them for the sin they have committed, and they will be forgiven

and what was preformed by the OT priests was solely to point to Jesus' sacrificial death on the cross
Hebrews 13:11-12
The high priest carries the blood of animals into the Most Holy Place as a sin offering, but the
bodies are burned outside the camp.

And so Jesus also suffered outside the city gate to make the people holy through his own blood.

Old 11-05-2015, 10:37 AM

20,392 posts, read 12,668,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
What it boiled down to: The Penal Substitution Theory is fallacious.

Synonyms: erroneous, false, untrue, wrong, incorrect, flawed, inaccurate, mistaken, misinformed, misguided; specious, spurious, bogus, fictitious, fabricated, made up; groundless, unfounded, ill-founded, unproven, unsupported, uncorroborated; and full of holes.

I know what I believe. What you haven't explained is what you believe.

Old 11-05-2015, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
And the application to the question is simply not there. You readinto itwhat you WANT to see and expect others to see those quotes the same way. Try to answer the question without quotes that don't apply.
Those two passages apply exactly to what I said.

Old 11-05-2015, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Precisely. Jimmie, you are quoting bible verses that, based on your understanding of them, simply reiterate that you believe God's holiness demands that people must believe the mechanism (Jesus' suffering and death) by which God supposedly forgives or else God's holiness is no longer satisfied, rendering God incapable of forgiving them.

I'm asking you to actually examine that belief. Then explain how it makes sense.
I have answered all your questions, according to scripture. You're asking the same questions over and over.

Old 11-05-2015, 11:01 AM

32,530 posts, read 21,861,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Richard...you can not possibly believe Jesus had time to say everything?
So, if he didn't say it there is no basis for more and deeper beliefs?
(And mind you...they left out tons!
They had to.... there were no tape recorders...it was from memory...and
he spoke many things around the campfire to his disciples he never would
say to the crowds! Those weren't found in the 'accepted' gospels.)

He even said himself (*note the extraordinary scene, his last supper!*)
I have so much more to tell you but you can not bare (grasp) them now....
depending on the translation or version.
(John something, 16?)

There is so much more the Holy Spirit would teach us..he said that somewhere, also.

Richard....
I think you misunderstood...

Old 11-05-2015, 11:14 AM

31,374 posts, read 20,025,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
I have answered all your questions, according to scripture. You're asking the same questions over and over.
And you spit out scripture like a programmed robot unable to think for itself.

Old 11-05-2015, 11:31 AM

17,156 posts, read 11,306,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
You have NOT answered the question. You aren't answering it because you realize -- or are trying to avoid the realization -- that anything you say would only highlight the nonsensical nature of your belief.

Old 11-05-2015, 11:49 AM

22,863 posts, read 10,253,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
Precisely. Jimmie, you are quoting bible verses that, based on your understanding of them, simply reiterate that you believe God's holiness demands that people must believe the mechanism (Jesus' suffering and death) by which God supposedly forgives or else God's holiness is no longer satisfied, rendering God incapable of forgiving them.

I'm asking you to actually examine that belief. Then explain how it makes sense.
In your left eye is Adam, a fallen Adam and you are married to him, but the two of you will never produce a child of God. The seed in you is cursed and doomed. That's why we have a need for a NEW HUSBAND, we have a need to be born again, to LITERALLY be given a spiritual seed of God and this cannot happen with Adam.

There was a need for a new Adam to come and this could only happen if a man came and died and then was resurrected in order for him to go inside EVERYONE who opens their door to him. We had a need for a LITERAL change in what we were made of.

All men were in sin, no man had hope BECAUSE there was no spiritual seed, and so we take on a NEW ADAM, A NEW SPIRIT and this spirit is literally a part of us and then after this guiding spirit leads into good works and self sacrifice, at some point, we are given a spiritual seed.

We are made the keepers over the household of God. We become a house with a baby inside that we are teaching. The prophets speak about this change and this child who would rule when they declare God has created a new thing in the earth, that a woman will give birth to a fully grown man. How does a woman give birth to a full grown man?

Covering sins is something we also do, charity will cover the multitude of sins, and bringing a brother back to the respect of the law will cover a multitude of sins.

When I think of Jesus, I see him as a salvation because he made a literal change in what I was before. I became like a virgin who has become pregnant, and Christ is literally being formed in me.

Old 11-05-2015, 11:59 AM

17,156 posts, read 11,306,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
In your left eye is Adam, a fallen Adam and you are married to him, but the two of you will never produce a child of God. The seed in you is cursed and doomed. That's why we have a need for a NEW HUSBAND, we have a need to be born again, to LITERALLY be given a spiritual seed of God and this cannot happen with Adam.

There was a need for a new Adam to come and this could only happen if a man came and died and then was resurrected in order for him to go inside EVERYONE who opens their door to him. We had a need for a LITERAL change in what we were made of.

All men were in sin, no man had hope BECAUSE there was no spiritual seed, and so we take on a NEW ADAM, A NEW SPIRIT and this spirit is literally a part of us and then after this guiding spirit leads into good works and self sacrifice, at some point, we are given a spiritual seed.

We are made the keepers over the household of God. We become a house with a baby inside that we are teaching. The prophets speak about this change and this child who would rule when they declare God has created a new thing in the earth, that a woman will give birth to a fully grown man. How does a woman give birth to a full grown man?

Covering sins is something we also do, charity will cover the multitude of sins, and bringing a brother back to the respect of the law will cover a multitude of sins.

When I think of Jesus, I see him as a salvation because he made a literal change in what I was before. I became like a virgin who has become pregnant, and Christ is literally being formed in me.
I used to believe quite similarly. Until I realized that it still had an exclusivity to it ... that "Jesus club" feel. There are many people who don't "believe in Jesus" who are obviously as led by the spirit of God/love as the most spiritual of Christians. No one is excluded from that potential within them simply because of their religious beliefs or lack thereof. Could a literal Jesus have been the linchpin that is responsible for "Christ" being formed in humankind? I have absolutely no idea. And I don't think it matters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity