Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 08:35 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,491,540 times

Advertisements

Faith alone is easily explained:
Luke 7:50
Jesus said to the woman, “Your faith has saved you; go in peace.”
Jesus did not go beyond that, he did not say:
Jesus said to the woman, “Your faith has saved you; go in peace .... and now prove yourself worthy"
or he did not say:
Jesus said to the woman, “Your faith has saved you; go in peace ..... and do all you can do in keeping the commandments"
And Paul continued that same teaching:
Romans 3:28
For we maintain that a person is justified by faith apart from the works of the law.
Galatians 2:16
know that a person is not justified by the works of the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ.
So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in Christ
and not by the works of the law, because by the works of the law no one will be justified.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2015, 08:43 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,379,197 times
Well, if you are going to quote...there are the ones that never use the word 'faith'...
that I follow 100% (not 99%).

You MUST have rock solid faith to:

Give him your burdens.
Cast your cares.
Be anxious for nothing. Phil 4:6
Focus on the above and not the things on the earth. Col 3:2
Be not afraid.
Do not worry. Matthew
Ask for anything in his name and he will do it. John 14:14
Delight in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart. Ps 37:4

Faith, belief, knowing, steadfastness, unwavering trust and reliance GALORE!

Oh, and again, I am not a Christian according to the definition of the Nicene Creed.
Just fyi.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:11 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,917,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Well, if you are going to quote...there are the ones that never use the word 'faith'...
that I follow 100% (not 99%).

You MUST have rock solid faith to:

Give him your burdens.
Cast your cares.
Be anxious for nothing. Phil 4:6
Focus on the above and not the things on the earth. Col 3:2
Be not afraid.
Do not worry. Matthew
Ask for anything in his name and he will do it. John 14:14
Delight in the Lord and he will give you the desires of your heart. Ps 37:4

Faith, belief, knowing, steadfastness, unwavering trust and reliance GALORE!

Oh, and again, I am not a Christian according to the definition of the Nicene Creed.
Just fyi.
Well said, Miss Hepburn. Thanks for the rep. I cannot return it because of the system. But I am definitely working on what you suggest.

Old 11-02-2015, 10:29 AM

689 posts, read 549,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I know that some Christians, perhaps the majority, believe that one is "saved" by faith alone and that "works" do not come into play.
That's a yes and no.

Saved by faith alone is in the perspective of the covenant that if we are under the protection of the New Covenant, we are no longer subject to the Final Judgement of Law.

Works on the other hand, we let us know if our faith is the correct kind of faith required by the covenant.

Old 11-02-2015, 02:02 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,925,052 times
It is my understanding that as Jesus demonstrated , we are under the aw of the Father from the spiritual aspect of a relationship, which can supersede the letter of the law, as demonstrated in the law itself ,and those God had instructed superseding the written law.
The direct designation of making the ark of the covenant is in direct conflict with the commandment that states thou shalt not make unto thee ANY graven images ,be that things of earth or heaven . Or making a poll and putting brass snake on it, for the people bitten, to look at for healing.
The law of the Father can come with some very specific details ,only personal relationship can receive. Details God gave Joshua in leading the soldiers of Israel are not commands for all military tactics , and Israel failed miserably thinking the were exempt from this obedience , but I see nothing changes.
Jeremiah 31; 31,32,33,34, God laid out His intention and Jesus demonstrated it an provide the Holy Spirit to fulfill this agreement.

Old 11-02-2015, 02:22 PM

11,825 posts, read 12,491,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkins View Post
That's a yes and no.

Saved by faith alone is in the perspective of the covenant that if we are under the protection of the New Covenant, we are no longer subject to the Final Judgement of Law.

Works on the other hand, we let us know if our faith is the correct kind of faith required by the covenant.
Works are designed to bring glory to God, not as the work-righteous religions use it for ... which is to prove oneself worthy in some fashion.

Old 11-02-2015, 02:33 PM

18,491 posts, read 9,157,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Your problem is that you think that somehow human beings can be good in God's eyes. Do you realize even Mother Teresa deserved to go to hell? As good as she was, she needed a savior, just like everyone else.
This is what fundamentalist Christians actually teach. And yes, it can do real long-term psychological damage.

"I am a poor miserable sinner deserving nothing but my present and eternal punishment" as we said in church every Sunday. Makes 50 Shades of Grey look like an episode of Family Ties by comparison.

Just Say No fundamentalist Christianity.

Old 11-02-2015, 03:42 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Quote:
Your problem is that you think that somehow human beings can be good in God's eyes. Do you realize even Mother Teresa deserved to go to hell? As good as she was, she needed a savior, just like everyone else.
This is why 50% of your congregation refuses to hear you ...but on a side--it must be hell around the house come the holidays, huh? Birthdays must be a joyous occasion as well.

Do you tell your children that they are loved and special--or do you constantly remind them they deserve HELL for being born?

Give up the chantix vizio and LIVE a little. Your congregation will love you for it.

Old 11-02-2015, 04:20 PM

63,803 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
This is not true and never was. It is a primitive meme that has been improperly retained in the mistaken belief that it is a sign of faith in God. It is long past the time for it to be stricken from the human psyche.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
This is what fundamentalist Christians actually teach. And yes, it can do real long-term psychological damage.
"I am a poor miserable sinner deserving nothing but my present and eternal punishment" as we said in church every Sunday. Makes 50 Shades of Grey look like an episode of Family Ties by comparison.
Just Say No fundamentalist Christianity.
Amen. Well said, Freak. It is a psychological travesty of immense proportions that has done untold damage to uncounted millions of people over the millennia. No real Satan could have inflicted more damage on the Spiritual development of humankind.

Old 11-02-2015, 04:26 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
Quote:
If any form of salvation is necessary today, it is from this kind of thinkng. You have been so indoctrinated and immersed in such thinking, you need faith to be set free from it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity