Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2015, 10:17 AM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
I cannot imagine wasting one minute of time with God speaking about others and their sin.

The Pharisee seems to occupy the thoughts of a fundamentalist ideology. I think they quote what they know and do, while attributing it to others.

The Pharisee, is a fundamentalist ideologue.
Jesus did. See John 4. A person has to understand how their sin affects a relationship with God and what Jesus has done for them. Philip did the same with the Ethiopian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 10:19 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Recovering sinner set free from the burden of guilt and penalty is sin.
If you are set free you are recovered.

Old 11-17-2015, 10:25 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
Striving never sets you free from anything, it owns you while you strive to over come it. Read Romans 7.... that is why you call yourself a sinner still rather than what the scriptures states....... I am a new creation......old things have passed away. You are still bound by the old creation.
That certainly seems to be true. Give energy and attention to what you want to see in your life, rather than what you do not want to see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Luke 18:11

The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed: 'God, I thank you that I am not like other people--robbers, evildoers, adulterers--or even like this tax collector (or one of those darn fundamentalists).
The Pharisee like the fundamentalist through wrong believing thought righteousness was abstinence from that which he thought God was disapproving of, he had no concept of what true righteousness is and where to seek it.............. Sin according to the scriptures is unbelief.

6,961 posts, read 4,615,972 times
Quote:
Jesus did. See John 4. A person has to understand how their sin affects a relationship with God and what Jesus has done for them. Philip did the same with the Ethiopian.

I have never spent one minute with God speaking about the sin of others. I have never thanked God for not making me........ fill in the blank. It has no place in our relationship.

To act like, and quote the Pharisee is a fundamentalist ideology, and an attempt to paint others with your personal failings.

Old 11-17-2015, 10:42 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Luke 18:11

The Pharisee stood by himself and prayed: 'God, I thank you that I am not like other people--robbers, evildoers, adulterers--or even like this tax collector (or one of those darn fundamentalists).
Yes, that is the prayer of those who claim to be sinless. Being sinless, they have nothing to repent, so they focus on talking about those who don't agree with their views.

They'll shout: "Those fundies can't even stop sinning". "They don't even know the scriptures".

It is the true Pharisee spirit.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 11-17-2015 at 11:59 AM..

Old 11-17-2015, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, that is the prayer of those who claim to be sinless. Being sinless, they have nothing to repent, so they focus on talking about those who don't agree with their views.
Every post of yours shows you have no understanding of the scriptures. Go and learn what it is to be sin conscious and God conscious.

Old 11-17-2015, 12:01 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan85 View Post
As a Born Again Christian, I would agree with you. Being a Christian is no guarantee of good behavior.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Ok, so what's the point of evangelical Christianity then? Getting a Pie In The Sky when you die? Avoiding imaginary dangers after death?

I wasn't up to wading through 62 pages... Did bryan (or anyone) ever respond to this?

Old 11-17-2015, 12:29 PM

20,441 posts, read 12,788,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
I have never spent one minute with God speaking about the sin of others. I have never thanked God for not making me........ fill in the blank. It has no place in our relationship.

To act like, and quote the Pharisee is a fundamentalist ideology, and an attempt to paint others with your personal failings.

Well, of course (bolded above). I should be concerned with me. Nevertheless, to share the gospel with someone, you have to help them confront the sin that separates them from God.

Isaiah 59:2

It's your sins that have cut you off from God. Because of your sins, he has turned away and will not listen anymore.

Old 11-17-2015, 12:32 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,828,984 times
Well its either that or the Bunny Ranch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity