Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2016, 10:20 AM

689 posts, read 549,173 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
James 5:14-15

Now let's make sure we've got this straight: the Bible is inerrant. That means that it is God talking DIRECTLY to humanity, not James. It is God Himself making this promise to men,

The language couldn't be more simple and direct and there's no smokescreen "context" that apologists can hide behind. It's an ironclad promise from God to His children that if His children pray to Him in faith, the person they are praying for will be cured and made well.

Down through 2000 years how many millions of Christians have done EXACTLY as the Lord commanded and prayed in faith only to see their beloved children die in misery and agony??????

Can there be any more convincing proof that the Bible is a fraud---that God DOES NOT keep His promises? Remember, if one promise in the Bible fails, then the whole Bible fails. It cannot be the Divine Word of God. It can be a good book for some helpful advice here and there like any other religious text, but it CANNOT be God's inspired Word, as fundamentalists love to claim.
Back then the apostles are given the ability to heal. Can you still find an apostle around today?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2016, 10:29 AM

3,348 posts, read 1,636,597 times
it might be better to read that you are presented a story, a parable, to us, even if presented as..."Gospel Truth," to use a little pun there, in which these Apostles are given this seemingly miraculous ability, which one might interpret into their walk.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
...and yet I have already said and more than once, that I will accept any verifiable evidence for your the existence of your god that you have...but you produce nothing. Where is this 'truth' that you claim?
yes, so iow you will accept the impossible, as long as it is served on a plate to you (iow, you do not have to commit to anything), and you don't have to even extend yourself so far as to posit a clear question for reflection on the matter (which would be perceived as a commitment), or in fact even choose one of two multiple choice questions that might accurately reflect your desire to pursue truth, which of course no one can "prove" to you--short of a "miracle" (thus putting you in the unenviable position of being susceptible to miracles; you, an unbeliever, while i, who am nominally a believer {even if that characterization will give you the wrong impression}, am immune to miracles, per se, eschew them, iow, and would be quite suspicious by what you might term a "miracle," for reasons plainly stated in the Book)--but which you can only be brought to see--possibly, if you even desire such a thing, which wadr you have demonstrated that you do not, in your choices, which i have no desire to abrogate, despite my multiple attempts to apparently try and do so, those stemming strictly by way of acknowledgement that i am a w **** and a murderer, too, you see, and so i understand--by yourself, your own reasoning, which after all comes on the wind, so to speak, only to you.

hopefully that clears things up.

Last edited by bbyrd009; 11-18-2016 at 11:42 AM..

Old 11-18-2016, 10:56 AM

18,249 posts, read 16,902,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
You can repeat it until you're blue in the face, it doesn't change the fact
that Jesus Christ, His Holy Apostles and thousands of Saints and laypersons
have been miraculously healed.
Miracles of the Saints: Saints who raised the dead -People brought back to life through the Saints
OMG!!!!!! LOL. I just took a closer look at your "proof source". It's off a blog called Miracle of the Saints whose description is (holding back the tears...of laughter):

Quote:
This website is devoted to the extraordinary miracles of God in the lives of the Saints including examples of Stigmata, Prophecy, Remarkable Cures, Bilocation, Heavenly voices from the afterlife, Levitation, Prolonged Fasts, Mystical Knowledge, Scourging and the Crown of Thorns, Speaking in Tongues, Incorrupt Bodies, and Miracles over nature along with many others. The author endeavors always to be faithful to the Catholic Church and its teachings.
If that's the best you can do in the evidence department no wonder Christianity is in such deep trouble.

Old 11-18-2016, 11:04 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,849,571 times
Quote:
That's not a fact, it's a belief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbyrd009 View Post
yes, so iow you will accept the impossible, as long as it is served on a plate to you, and you don't have to extend yourself so far as to posit a clear question for reflection on the matter, or in fact even choose one of two multiple choice questions that might accurately reflect your desire to pursue truth, which of course no one can "prove" to you--short of a "miracle" (thus putting you in the unenviable position of being susceptible to miracles; you, an unbeliever, while i, who am nominally a believer {even if that characterization will give you the wrong impression}, am immune to miracles, per se, eschew them, iow, and would be quite suspicious by what you might term a "miracle," for reasons plainly stated in the Book)--but which you can only be brought to see, possibly, if you even desire such a thing, which wadr you have demonstrated that you do not, in your choices, which i have no desire to abrogate, despite my multiple attempts to apparently try and do so, those stemming strictly by way of acknowledgement that i am a w **** and a murderer, too, you see, and so i understand.
I've explained it to you three times now. If you don't get it yet then you never will.

Quote:
hopefully that clears things up.
Nothing you say is likely to 'clear things up' due to your inability to speak in coherent sentences.

Old 11-18-2016, 11:08 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,013,938 times
Quote:
Miracles of the Saints: Saints who raised the dead -People brought back to life through the Saints
So, ya believe whatever you're told or read?...

Old 11-18-2016, 11:08 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,382,802 times
Actually an early poster had it right. The word "sick/ill" in this verse is a word meaning weary not physically ill. Anyone with a little knowledge of Biblical Greek and a good lexicon can find this out.

Friberg Greek Lexicon:
14864 ka,mnw 2aor. e;kamon; be weary; idiomatically ka,mnein th|/ fuch| literally be weary in soul, i.e. be discouraged (HE 12.3); be sick or ill (JA 5.15)

UBS: 3214 ka,mnw (aor. subj. 2 pl. ka,mhte) be sick; evn yuch/| kÃ… be discouraged (He 12.3)

Liddell-Scott Greek Lexicon (Koine Greek):
III. intr. to work, labour, Thuc.:-then, to be weary, avndri. de. kekmhw/ti me,noj oi=noj ave,xei Il.; ouvde, ti gui/a ka,mnei nor is he weary in limb, Ib.; peri. dV e;gcei? cei/ra kamei/tai he will have his hand weary in grasping the spear, Ib.:-c. part., ka,mnei polemi,zwn( evlau,nwn is weary of fighting, rowing, Ib.; ouvk e;kamon tanu,wn I found no trouble in stringing the bow, i.e. did it without trouble, Od.; ou;toi kamou/mai le,gousa I shall never be tired of saying, Aesch., etc.

Thayer's Greek Lexicon:
1. to grow weary, be weary

While the word can convey physical sickness the context must be clear that it is not just someone worn out or weary with daily life which is the basic meaning.

Trill has no real knowledge of the Bible, the Biblical languages and meanings, so accepts anything he believes is a negative about the Bible without really having an understanding of what is said. Not uncommon.

Old 11-18-2016, 11:10 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,013,938 times
Quote:
I didn't know that you were Catholic, Snowy....

Old 11-18-2016, 11:21 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,849,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Trill has no real knowledge of the Bible, the Biblical languages and meanings, so accepts anything he believes is a negative about the Bible without really having an understanding of what is said. Not uncommon.
Odd isn't it, that a book that is supposed to be so important to our 'salvation' requires a knowledge of biblical Greek and ancient Hebrew to understand it. One would have thought that it would be such a simple task for an omnimax deity to furnish us with it in a language that each of us understand.

Old 11-18-2016, 11:24 AM

3,348 posts, read 1,636,597 times
thus verifying that you refuse to accept the point, and do not understand "so seeing they will not see," and the lesson that goes with it, which is whispering directly to you, Raf. wadr.
Quote:
I've explained it to you three times now. If you don't get it yet then you never will.
yet it was you that had the question--"Do you have any?"--but here you are explaining, to me. still.

Last edited by bbyrd009; 11-18-2016 at 11:44 AM..

Old 11-18-2016, 11:36 AM

1,350 posts, read 1,365,996 times
Quote:
Odd isn't it, that a book that is supposed to be so important to our 'salvation' requires a knowledge of biblical Greek and ancient Hebrew to understand it. One would have thought that it would be such a simple task for an omnimax deity to furnish us with it in a language that each of us understand.
John 20:29
Jesus said to him, "Because you have seen Me, have you believed? Blessed are they who did not see, and yet believed."

If there was a self-publishing, self-translating Bible, at first you might think, oh, that would prove everything, people would have to accept the Bible as inspired and inerrant and God as sovereign, then.

BUT, then if I think about all the ways we do know that God exists -- my goodness, the Holy Spirit indwells believers individually, that's pretty convincing, I'd say, not to mention all the historical evidence and billions of powerful testimonies and changed lives -- and it made me think, well, there's probably never going to be enough proof to convince some people.

If such a Bible did exist, who's to say that scoffers and mockers wouldn't just ascribe it to black magic or science or an illusion or a hoax or some other incorrect interpretation? I guess it all gets back to the point that God provides ample evidence of His existence...and even if He did go around providing every requested form of ID all the world over every day...some people would still choose not to believe.

I have to imagine as a convicted non-believer, that you would actually agree with me. If you woke up tomorrow and saw on the news was a report about a new discovery of a self-publishing, self-translating Bible, would you to immediately accept Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior? Or would you continue to wonder/question/be skeptical/not believe what you've chosen not to believe so strongly for so long?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity