Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 07:16 AM

14,876 posts, read 17,148,619 times

Advertisements

This thread is for sharing your favorite scripture passages and verses, that encourage you in your walk as a believer. This thread is not for bashing of believers or scriptures, for any attacks, or debates. Thanks and God bless!!

Philippians 3

7 But what things were to me gains, these I have counted, because of the Christ, loss;
8 yes, indeed, and I count all things to be loss, because of the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, because of whom of the all things I suffered loss, and do count them to be refuse, that Christ I may gain, and be found in him,
9 not having my righteousness, which [is] of law, but that which [is] through faith of Christ -- the righteousness that is of God by the faith,
10 to know him, and the power of his rising again, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being conformed to his death,
11 if anyhow I may attain to the rising again of the dead.
12 Not that I did already obtain, or have been already perfected; but I pursue, if also I may lay hold of that for which also I was laid hold of by the Christ Jesus;
13 brethren, I do not reckon myself to have laid hold; and one thing -- the things behind indeed forgetting, and to the things before stretching forth --
14 to the mark I pursue for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus. (Young's Literal)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 08:29 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,211,479 times
Not because I like it or find it enjoyable, but it is one I come back to often---

Matthew 27:5

So Judas threw the money into the temple and left. Then he went away and hanged himself.

Also fond of Ezekiel 18:20

The one who sins is the one who will die. The child will not share the guilt of the parent, nor will the parent share the guilt of the child. The righteousness of the righteous will be credited to them, and the wickedness of the wicked will be charged against them.

Old 11-11-2015, 08:32 AM

309 posts, read 511,899 times
James 2:23
For Abraham believed and it was accounted to him for righteousness and he was called a Friend of God.

Old 11-11-2015, 08:49 AM

3,987 posts, read 2,110,332 times
IICor 12:9-10 God said to Paul "My grace is sufficient, for in weakness is my strength perfected. Therefore, when I am weak, I am strong.

Old 11-11-2015, 10:49 AM

3,052 posts, read 2,924,279 times
Romans 8:38-9
For I am persuaded that neither death, nor life, nor Angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Psalm 139 23-4
Try me, O God, and know mine heart: prove me and know my thoughts, and consider if there be any way of wickedness in me, and lead me in the way forever.

Psalm 73 25-6
Whom have I in heaven but thee? and I have desired none in the earth with thee. My flesh faileth and mine heart also: but God is the strength of mine heart, and my portion forever.

Philippians 2: 12-3
... so make an end of your own salvation with fear and trembling. For it is God which worketh in you both the will and the deed, even of his good pleasure.

John 6: 66-8
From that time, many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him. Then said Jesus to the twelve, Will you also go away? Then Simon Peter answered him, Master, to whom shall we go? Thou has the words of eternal life.

John 7: 45-7
Then came the officers to the high Priests and Pharisees, and they said unto them, Why have you not brought him? The officers answered, Never man spake like this man. Then answered the Pharisees, Are you also deceived?

Isaiah 29: 13-4
Therefore the Lord said, Because this people come near unto me with their mouth, and honour me with their lips, but have removed their heart far from me, and their fear toward me was taught by the precept of men, therefore behold, I will again do a marvelous work in this people, even a marvelous work, and a wonder: for the wisdom of their wise men shall perish, and the understanding of their prudent men shall be hid.

And Jesus' quoting this scripture in Matthew 15: 7-9
O hypocrites, Isaiah prophesied well of you, saying, This people draweth near unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with the lips, but their heart is far from me. But in vain they worship me, teaching for doctrines, men's precepts.

I like this one a lot, I think it portrays Jesus' sense of humour:
John 1:49-50
Nathanael answered and said unto him, Rabbi, thou art that Son of God: thou art that King of Israel. Jesus answered, and said unto him, Because I said unto thee, I saw thee under the fig tree, believest thou?[?] thou shalt see greater things than these.

Thank you for starting this thread, Shana! It is wonderful to see a place where there is no academic arguments which often strike up contention, and rather to share among others and recount the words of our lovely, glorious Redeemer!

Old 11-11-2015, 12:32 PM

20,439 posts, read 12,779,436 times
1 Thess. 4

13 But we do not want you to be uninformed, brethren, about those who are asleep, so that you will not grieve as do the rest who have no hope. 14 For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who have fallen asleep in Jesus. 15 For this we say to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive and remain until the coming of the Lord, will not precede those who have fallen asleep. 16 For the Lord Himself will descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. 17 Then we who are alive and remain will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air, and so we shall always be with the Lord. 18 Therefore comfort one another with these words.

Old 11-11-2015, 12:52 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,784,460 times
"He who believes in me shall do the works I do and far greater than these."

Old 11-11-2015, 02:55 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,011,211 times
Ephesians 2:6-7..........``And raised us up together , and made us sit together in heavenly places in Jesus Christ , that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus ``..............I always remembered this scripture, as it rejects Spiritual pride of standing over people .....

Old 11-11-2015, 06:57 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,568,790 times
Ephesians 5:25-27
25 Husbands, love your wives, as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her, 26 that he might sanctify her, having cleansed her by the washing of water with the word, 27 so that he might present the church to himself in splendor, without spot or wrinkle or any such thing, that she might be holy and without blemish.

Colossians 2:8
See to it that no one takes you captive by philosophy and empty deceit, according to human tradition, according to the elemental spirits of the world, and not according to Christ.

Romans 9:33
as it is written, “Behold, I am laying in Zion a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offense;
and whoever believes in him will not be put to shame.” (Isaiah 8:14-15 & 28:16)

Old 11-11-2015, 09:35 PM

22,152 posts, read 19,206,964 times
lovely thread, thank you for this

"Turn away from evil and do good, seek peace and pursue it"
Psalms 34:15

"Only goodness and kindness shall follow me all the days of my life, and I shall dwell in the House of the Lord for many long years"
Psalms 23:6

"In distress you called and I delivered you; you called to Me in secret, and I answered you with thunderous wonders"
Psalms 81:8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity