Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2015, 02:00 PM

369 posts, read 374,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Prove that they intermarried...
Use common sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
What in heck does this have to do with anything. Were the blacks in bondage to the Assyrians or something?
You didn't know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2015, 02:13 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
I've only worked and studied with ONE of the prophecies--the failed prophecy of Nebuchadrezzar destroying Tyre.

The middle chapters of Ezekiel describe the author's specific problem with Tyre.

Ezekiel 26:3-6:
Note that by habit Jewish OT authors loved using plays on words. The Hebrew word for Tyre means "rock." And God is promising a bare rock. Mostly these first verses are quite open and tie us into nothing historically. But the next verses tighten it up quite a bit. Ezekiel 26:7-14:
Verse seven starts with FOR says the Lord God--which ties it back to the previous four verses. In seven through fourteen God specifies how this will be done.

Except it wasn't done in this fashion--even Ezekiel saw it later and rewrote the ending to his book. Nebuchadrezzar never conquered the fortress of Tyre. He did conquer the outlying suburbs that were not a part of the island fortress. He lay siege for more than a decade but couldn't destroy it. That was left to Alexander almost 250 years later--and although Alexander destroyed a good portion of the island fortress--he didn't destroy it all. More importantly it didn't stay destroyed. It was immediately rebuilt and is an important seaport for Lebanon today after serving Greeks and Romans for centuries.

Moreover Ezekiel eventually recognized the failure of his prophecy because he wrote in Ezekiel 29:17-20
So Ezekiel unapologetically changed the prophecy to what DID occur--and that was Nebbie gave up on Tyre and took Egypt instead.

There have been all sorts of word games by verbal inspirationists attempting to reinterpret what happened and it includes the absurd assumption that Ezekiel didn't have a clue as to what he was writing at the time--it was all 250 years in the future and he never saw it because he was drowned in horror of the news of his own day. But it doesn't match what those same people do with other prophecies.

When people try to reduce the word of God to prophecies it is not redemptive for God’s people in on ongoing way, and becomes nothing more than a level of proof to bolster their own criteria of validation.

And that is my cry against fundamentalism constantly. As much as they claim only "faith" is needed, they spend a remarkable amount of time on "proofs," of God's existence--like OT prophecies when almost all of what was written was seen by the writers in light of their own world circumstances. Faith obviously is inadequate--if one needs "proof."
WRONG. This is actually a remarkable example of fullfilled prophecy.

The prophecy never specifically says Nebuchadrezzar would be the one who destroys the city. It says he would be the one who lays siege to it. It says MANY NATIONS, many that means more than one, would come against Tyre. Alexander landed waste to the city exactly as predicted in the Bible and built a land bridge with the rubble. The mainland city of Tyre was never rebuilt so you are wrong on that point as well.

Old 11-17-2015, 02:24 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,398,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Abraham was a Sumerian...And the Israelites would not have intermarried with Egyptians...Although Egyptian Gentiles did accompany them from Egypt and also took on the Torah along with the Israelites at Sinai...
KJV 41: 45 And Pharaoh called Joseph's name Zaphnathpaaneah; and he gave him to wife Asenath the daughter of Potipherah priest of On. And Joseph went out over all the land of Egypt.

KJV Genesis 46:20 And unto Joseph in the land of Egypt were born Manasseh and Ephraim, which Asenath the daughter of Potipherah priest of On bare unto him.

The ancient city of On

On, known today as Heliopolis or Ain-Shams, was considered the first Egyptian capital during the predynastic period. http://www.dailynewsegypt.com/2013/0...nt-city-of-on/

There goes 2 tribes.

Old 11-17-2015, 02:52 PM

369 posts, read 374,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
KJV 41: 45 And Pharaoh called Joseph's name Zaphnathpaaneah; and he gave him to wife Asenath the daughter of Potipherah priest of On. And Joseph went out over all the land of Egypt.

KJV Genesis 46:20 And unto Joseph in the land of Egypt were born Manasseh and Ephraim, which Asenath the daughter of Potipherah priest of On bare unto him.

The ancient city of On

On, known today as Heliopolis or Ain-Shams, was considered the first Egyptian capital during the predynastic period. http://www.dailynewsegypt.com/2013/0...nt-city-of-on/

There goes 2 tribes.
Great post!

Old 11-17-2015, 03:05 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,714,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
WRONG. This is actually a remarkable example of fullfilled prophecy.

The prophecy never specifically says Nebuchadrezzar would be the one who destroys the city. It says he would be the one who lays siege to it. It says MANY NATIONS, many that means more than one, would come against Tyre. Alexander landed waste to the city exactly as predicted in the Bible and built a land bridge with the rubble. The mainland city of Tyre was never rebuilt so you are wrong on that point as well.
It does say it--quite clearly. That is why I emphasized the word FOR.

Young's Literal Translation spells out clearly that Ezekiel was speaking of Nebuchadrezzar:

¶ 26:7 For, thus said the Lord Jehovah: Lo, I am bringing in unto Tyre Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon, From the north—a king of kings, With horse, and with chariot, and with horsemen, Even an assembly, and a numerous people. 26:8 Thy daughters in the field by sword he slayeth, And he hath made against thee a fort, And hath poured out against thee a mount, And hath raised against thee a buckler.
26:9 And a battering-ram before him he placeth against thy walls, And thy towers he breaketh by his weapons.
26:10 From the abundance of his horses cover thee doth their dust, From the noise of horseman, and wheel, and rider, Shake do thy walls, in his coming in to thy gates, As the coming into a city broken-up.
26:11 With hoofs of his horses he treadeth all thine out-places, Thy people by sword he doth slay, And the pillars of thy strength to the earth come down.
26:12 And they have spoiled thy wealth, And they have plundered thy merchandise, And they have thrown down thy walls, And thy desirable houses they break down, And thy stones, and thy wood, and thy dust, In the midst of the waters they place.
26:13 And I have caused the noise of thy songs to cease, And the voice of thy harps is heard no more.
26:14 And I have given thee up for a clear place of a rock, A spreading-place of nets thou art, Thou art not built up any more, For I, Jehovah, I have spoken, An affirmation of the Lord Jehovah

Now you may wish to continue to fool yourself--it is typical of fundamentalists to deny the SPECIFIC WORDS OF TEXT when it refutes what they wish to believe. But the pronouns all refer back to Nebbie and his army--not forward looking 250 years. That was why Ezekiel felt it necessary to modify his prediction to be that the payment for Nebbie's army would come from ransacking Egypt. Otherwise there would be no necessity for modification.

In addition, it is possible to visit the site of Tyre today--it was not completely destroyed forever.
Quote:
a city in the South Governorate of Lebanon. There were approximately 117,000 inhabitants in 2003
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyre,_Lebanon

You've just displayed your unwillingness to learn anything biblical other than what your handlers have told you to believe.

Old 11-17-2015, 03:18 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wardendresden View Post
It does say it--quite clearly. That is why I emphasized the word FOR.

Young's Literal Translation spells out clearly that Ezekiel was speaking of Nebuchadrezzar:

¶ 26:7 For, thus said the Lord Jehovah: Lo, I am bringing in unto Tyre Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon, From the north—a king of kings, With horse, and with chariot, and with horsemen, Even an assembly, and a numerous people. 26:8 Thy daughters in the field by sword he slayeth, And he hath made against thee a fort, And hath poured out against thee a mount, And hath raised against thee a buckler.
26:9 And a battering-ram before him he placeth against thy walls, And thy towers he breaketh by his weapons.
26:10 From the abundance of his horses cover thee doth their dust, From the noise of horseman, and wheel, and rider, Shake do thy walls, in his coming in to thy gates, As the coming into a city broken-up.
26:11 With hoofs of his horses he treadeth all thine out-places, Thy people by sword he doth slay, And the pillars of thy strength to the earth come down.
26:12 And they have spoiled thy wealth, And they have plundered thy merchandise, And they have thrown down thy walls, And thy desirable houses they break down, And thy stones, and thy wood, and thy dust, In the midst of the waters they place.
26:13 And I have caused the noise of thy songs to cease, And the voice of thy harps is heard no more.
26:14 And I have given thee up for a clear place of a rock, A spreading-place of nets thou art, Thou art not built up any more, For I, Jehovah, I have spoken, An affirmation of the Lord Jehovah

Now you may wish to continue to fool yourself--it is typical of fundamentalists to deny the SPECIFIC WORDS OF TEXT when it refutes what they wish to believe. But the pronouns all refer back to Nebbie and his army--not forward looking 250 years. That was why Ezekiel felt it necessary to modify his prediction to be that the payment for Nebbie's army would come from ransacking Egypt. Otherwise there would be no necessity for modification.

In addition, it is possible to visit the site of Tyre today--it was not completely destroyed forever. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyre,_Lebanon

You've just displayed your unwillingness to learn anything biblical other than what your handlers have told you to believe.

All I see in your highlighted texts is Neb will siege the city and "they" again meaning more than one nation will plunder the spoils. The only thing you demonstrate is your willingness to attack the Word of God at any turn while claiming to be a Christian.

Old 11-17-2015, 04:01 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
Quote:
All I see in your highlighted texts is Neb will siege the city and "they" again meaning more than one nation will plunder the spoils. The only thing you demonstrate is your willingness to attack the Word of God at any turn while claiming to be a Christian.
And you demonstrate how a fundamentalist processes information:

Old 11-17-2015, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Good point. Neb is refereed to in the singular as"he"and "his". Then it changes to "They" showing others than Neb will be involved in the final work of destruction.

Old 11-17-2015, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
And you demonstrate how a fundamentalist processes information:
Fundamentalist unbelievers , yep.

You got it right again.

Old 11-17-2015, 06:33 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,714,086 times
Quote:
Okay, we know you don't understand or study Greek, and now you're making it obvious that English grammar construction is a strain on you as well.

I'm not 'attacking' the word of God. I'm clarifying it for those who really wish to know it.

You don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity