Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 12:25 PM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
A full English while listening to BBC Radio 4 ......... Close Arequipa ?
What's a full English?...And he said he was listening to the church across the street from him...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2015, 02:00 PM

17,161 posts, read 11,390,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Age-enduring View Post
It's not a controversial enough topic, old friend.
I'll say this ... I grew up in a church that did justice to traditional music, liturgical chanting, and hymns: a beautiful pipe organ (and amazing organists), brass and other instrumental choirs, hand bells, adult choirs, children's choir, many gifted vocalists and instrumental musicians, and a large congregation that absolutely loved to sing with all their hearts. Advent and Lent were filled with special services devoted to Handel's Messiah and other musical fare. I've never attended a church as an adult that could come close in comparison. I didn't realize at the time what a rare beast that church was. I still get chills when I think about the music of Christmas Eves and Easter mornings which I had the privilege to experience as a child. I don't know if it would have the same impact on me now that it did when I was a True Believer, but those are good memories nonetheless.

Old 11-22-2015, 03:10 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times
It is just preference in the church were you go some have old hymns which are good for devotion , and some spiritual bluesy good for rockin` , then some contemporary great for the spirit , all would be good for the soul ..... Just when you get into hard rockin` then it may be great for gospel concerts but the church is not there a lot ....... God does not have preference against His children , as long as the Words are clean and close interpretation to the ways of God ....... Some preachers will condemn some Gospel music but that is just their personal preference and not from God through Jesus

Old 11-22-2015, 03:20 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
What's a full English?...And he said he was listening to the church across the street from him...
Bacon, eggs, fried tomatoes, fried mushrooms, fried bread or toast(or both), sausages, and baked beans and if you can stomach it, black pudding(yuck). Not to forget swilling it down with a proper cup o tea... not the English breakfast tea they pass off as being English tea over here.

Old 11-22-2015, 05:00 PM

3,402 posts, read 2,788,286 times
Quote:
Bacon, eggs, fried tomatoes, fried mushrooms, fried bread or toast(or both), sausages, and baked beans and if you can stomach it, black pudding(yuck). Not to forget swilling it down with a proper cup o tea... not the English breakfast tea they pass off as being English tea over here.
Mmm... black pudding! I am actually more weirded out by the baked beans for breakfast. Last year I went up to Scotland, and there they had a Full Scottish breakfast, which was basically just swapping the black pudding for haggis, which was also very good...

They also have Marmite for your toast, which is the stuff of the gods! More salt than a human should consume in a week!

-NoCapo

Old 11-22-2015, 05:14 PM

To actually respond to OP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AREQUIPA View Post
Imagine me starting a thread on the Christian foerum! I was just thinking this morning cooking breakfast and listening to the ten -strong congregation doing the ol' Welsh harmony in the church across the road and just thinking about Hymns.

Some of the old traditional ones are grand. Others are a bid dismal, frankly. But when i hear modern hymns with the congregation trying to pop it up, I want to laugh.

So how do you Biblebods feel about it? Should hymns be of a seriously sober solemnity suitable for services, or should it be hymnal hip -hop and happyclappy hoopla for suitable praising of His name?
So I am clearly not a biblebod, but I was one for a long time. I grew up in a small rural Southern Baptist church. I assumed that my church was the template musically for all churches, I supposed like every kid.

We did not do Handels messiah, or have handbells or any of that. But out of a Sunday attendance of about 100, we had 15 or 20 people in the choir. We had two hymnals, one of which was shaped note, and pretty much the entire congregation sang 4 part harmony. I grew up on the traditional hymns, like Blessed Assurance, A Mighty Fortress is our God, gospel songs like I'll Fly Away, Just over in the Glory Land, and more modern southern gospel like the Gaithers and Squire Parsons.

When was in my late teens we went to more contemporary and charismatic churches. I played in worship bands for years. At the time I was really into the Vinyard stuff, Chris Tomlin, and CCM. Maranatha was for old people, but I knew it, sang it and played it.

Now that I am older, and have left the church, I still have a soft spot for the music of my youth. I honestly have no use anymore for the praise and worship genre. Once I was out of it, the songs feel so shallow and vapid, the music a bad imitation of U2, and the atmosphere and emotion contrived and manipulative. (I suspect part of this is because I spent so long as a worship leader. I know how the sausage is made...)

But I still like the old hymns. They hold no religious significance for me, but I do miss the communal singing, the repertoire that everyone know. My wife and I occasionally visit some local churches for special occasions or for confirmations and what not, and I really get dissapointed. The local Lutheran church has weird versions of the hymns, they don't use the hymnal, so the parts aren't written out, and almost no one sings. I am used to 100 people shaking the rafters in 4 part southern drawls, in all their twangy amateur glory. That is about the only thing I miss about church...

Some glad morning, when this life is o'er...

-NoCapo

Old 11-22-2015, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoCapo View Post
Mmm... black pudding! I am actually more weirded out by the baked beans for breakfast. Last year I went up to Scotland, and there they had a Full Scottish breakfast, which was basically just swapping the black pudding for haggis, which was also very good...

They also have Marmite for your toast, which is the stuff of the gods! More salt than a human should consume in a week!

-NoCapo
Black pudding is like Marmite.. you either love it or hate it.. I love marmite but you keep your black pudding . Not sure if you know this too, but the British baked beans are nothing like your American version.

Old 11-22-2015, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Black pudding is like Marmite.. you either love it or hate it.. I love marmite but you keep your black pudding . Not sure if you know this too, but the British baked beans are nothing like your American version.
Yeah, they don't put enough Jack Daniels in their baked beans!
The bacon is also surprising. First time I had it, I thought, in my best North Alabama Redneck voice, "Well, shoot, this ain't bacon its just country fried ham! Where's the red-eye gravy?" One of my British co-workers explained his shock that when he visited America he ordered bacon and , "I touched it with my fork and it bloody shattered!"

-NoCapo

Old 11-22-2015, 07:27 PM

8,172 posts, read 6,924,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nocapo View Post
one of my british co-workers explained his shock that when he visited america he ordered bacon and , "i touched it with my fork and it bloody shattered!"

-nocapo
lol

Old 11-22-2015, 07:44 PM

Arequipa, surely that Welsh choir(Swansea and Cardiff both lost yesterday) across the street were not that good that you can't tell us what you had for Brekkie ths morning
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity