Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 04:37 PM

1,606 posts, read 1,254,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
Aren't biblical platitudes enough? Your sins will be forgiven if you just believe? Forget your hunger, you are sinners that need saving, and so are your evil children.

I agree Dew.

Platitudes are so practical for fundamentalist ideologues. They get to feel all warm and righteous inside.

They blame the victim of hunger on their assumed lack of Christianity. So convenient.
See? No one said that. At all. You are just a disrespectful hate-monger looking for a fight. I just feel sad for you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2015, 04:42 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post

Platitudes are so practical for fundamentalist ideologues. They get to feel all warm and righteous inside.

Platitudes: The things said by people who get three squares a day and complain about funding school lunch programs.

Old 11-28-2015, 04:56 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,785,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecheese View Post
I am of the opinion that the sort of person you are is much more important than the faith you espouse. If you try to help others less fortunate than yourself that is much more to be prized than worshipping a deity which more than likely either doesn't exist, or not as the human imagination represents it. Yes there are a lot of fantastic Christians who do a lot to help others in a practical way, just as there are many non believers who do so too. What gets me is the ones who run off at the mouth about their faith but do nothing worthwhile with their lives, what is the point?

I realise as a non believer and challenger of those more extreme Christians who think the, 'you must be 'saved', abusive dogma has credibility, I am seen as a heathen bound for hell! However, although I am far from being any kind of saint, nor would I wish to be, I try to do my bit to help others as that is part of me being me. When my husband and I were kids planning our marriage in 1969, we decided that after we had our own children we would adopt a child less fortunate than our own, as we felt we had something to offer such a child. As it turned out after we had our three birth children we eventually adopted two lads with special educational needs, one has Down's Syndrome. We also fostered a teenage boy also with Down's Syndrome. It could be quite hard work, but rewarding. We felt we had made a difference and that made our lives worthwhile.

As far as I am concerned deeds are much more important than words, faith or no faith.
Correct. Deeds are what counts. The Lord is righteous in all His ways and holy in all His works.

"He who acts in truth comes to the light so his deeds are revealed as works of God."

"By your words you'll be justified and by your words you'll be condemned."

"The man who comes to me hears my word and puts it to use."

"My brother's, mother and sisters hear the word of God and do it."

"Man does not live by bread alone but by every word from the mouth of God."

"No one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and spirit."

"Blessed is he who hears the word of the Lord and keeps it."

"From the believers heart shall flow rivers of living water."

Anyone who drinks the water I give him shall never become thirsty, the water I give him shall be like a fountain inside him springing up to provide eternal life.

Old 11-28-2015, 05:08 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,615,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ_Maxx View Post
See? No one said that. At all. You are just a disrespectful hate-monger looking for a fight. I just feel sad for you.
I put you in context. A much needed context, and I hit a nerve. You did not come here for silence and agreement.

Old 11-29-2015, 06:27 AM

689 posts, read 494,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
So your boasting about all the "good" you have done is not the same as the Pharisees praying in public so they are seen by all and boasting about how "good" they are?
Alrighty then.
I certainly wasn't bragging about the 'good' we have done! I said, if you read my post, that we had found adopting our sons a rewarding experience!

Old 11-29-2015, 06:29 AM

689 posts, read 494,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post
Correct. Deeds are what counts. The Lord is righteous in all His ways and holy in all His works.

"He who acts in truth comes to the light so his deeds are revealed as works of God."

"By your words you'll be justified and by your words you'll be condemned."

"The man who comes to me hears my word and puts it to use."

"My brother's, mother and sisters hear the word of God and do it."

"Man does not live by bread alone but by every word from the mouth of God."

"No one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and spirit."

"Blessed is he who hears the word of the Lord and keeps it."

"From the believers heart shall flow rivers of living water."

Anyone who drinks the water I give him shall never become thirsty, the water I give him shall be like a fountain inside him springing up to provide eternal life.
A meaningless phrase, imo!

Old 11-29-2015, 07:52 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,293,297 times
Quote:
But not meaningless when understood correctly.

Old 11-29-2015, 08:47 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,580,220 times
religion is a "crutch" until such time as one "wakes up". But like legs that never work, some will need it the rest of their lives. Only a dope would take the crutch. and only an equal, but opposite dope, would say "I have a crutch, so to be fair, you all have to have a crutch too, or yo are a sinnrer.

Of course neither sides cares about such middle stances, they only see the world from one end. I just can't figure out witch one is the back end. EERR, maybe they are just one check in a pair that makes one rear end.

Old 11-29-2015, 10:38 AM

4,217 posts, read 2,785,792 times
Quote:
You will not see me until you say"blessed is he who comes in the name of the Lord."

I have works greater than the works of man. The works the Lord has given me, indeed the very works I am doing bear witness that I was sent by God.

I come to you in my Father's name and you fail to accept me but let someone come to you in his own name and him you will accept. How can you be saved when you seek the praise of man but do not seek the glory of the only God.

The works I do in my Father's name bear witness for me. If you do not want to believe in me then believe in the works so you will see that the Lord is in me and I in Him.

Old 11-29-2015, 11:10 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,360,776 times
How do you help others in a practical way?

Practical is not theoretical, you actually do something for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity