Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2015, 10:19 AM

178 posts, read 227,834 times

Advertisements

which is not a new thing. I was saved in 93, I am born-again, and now 62 years old. The way the world is going scares me, so I begin to cling to my faith, or try to.

I want to meet other christians, including those who doubt like me. I suppose what I want most is to know I am not alone in believing what God says in His Word. I chose to believe it is His Word. Just for me, I don't ask others to believe, and try never to preach.

The truth about me is that it takes a lot to get me to fall on my knees That is frightening too when I think of Jonah, and David, others that rebelled, or were rebellious types. I don't see, or hear another thing in this world that brings me more comfort than to trust in Him.

Comments so welcome, would love to meet some of you. I was looking at housing for myself in a particular area, so came across this forum/section of

Denise
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2015, 10:38 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,332,390 times
think most everybody at some point doubts or fears or both of how the world is going and what plans God has for it in general and them in particular---or if He even exists at all let alone cares. many a saint, sage, and mystic (let alone "average" folks like us) has felt lonely, unloved, and unheard by the God they believe in but they keep on anyway. even Jesus suffering on the cross said, "my God, my God, why have YOU forsaken me!!!! if Jesus can pass through pain, suffering, indifference, and cruelty (for love of us) then sadly often we must also sometimes endure, and accept and ultimately transcend the bad and sad things both in and outside of ourselves as challenges but NOT barriers. IMHO, maybe that's what faith is about---persevering in belief AND acting on that belief by loving God and serving our neighbor even if we are unsure if anyone cares---we try to keep on loving and praying (both on and off our knees) for help for ourselves and for the ability to love and help others----"Lord, I believe----HELP MY UNBELIEF!!!" may God bless you and help you now and always---and all of us who have need of the assurance of His existence and His love for us.

Last edited by georgeinbandonoregon; 12-06-2015 at 11:40 AM.. Reason: more info.

Old 12-06-2015, 10:39 AM

689 posts, read 494,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwcountry View Post
which is not a new thing. I was saved in 93, I am born-again, and now 62 years old. The way the world is going scares me, so I begin to cling to my faith, or try to.

I want to meet other christians, including those who doubt like me. I suppose what I want most is to know I am not alone in believing what God says in His Word. I chose to believe it is His Word. Just for me, I don't ask others to believe, and try never to preach.

The truth about me is that it takes a lot to get me to fall on my knees That is frightening too when I think of Jonah, and David, others that rebelled, or were rebellious types. I don't see, or hear another thing in this world that brings me more comfort than to trust in Him.

Comments so welcome, would love to meet some of you. I was looking at housing for myself in a particular area, so came across this forum/section of

Denise

I did the 'saved' bit in 1961 when I was eleven. By the time I was 19 and married the doubts became too overwhelming I lost my faith never to rekindle it. Doubt is healthy, unquestioning faith isn't. One should never hang onto a faith as a form of 'fire insurance' if you find it isn't credible, imo.

Old 12-06-2015, 10:43 AM

15,864 posts, read 6,322,813 times
There is some scary things going on right now. It doesn't mean humans are off on some path of self destruction. There is a lot of good around too. Try and focus on some of that for awhile or even be a part of it.

I am no longer a Christian but I had to back my way out from some pretty strong fears of being "rebellious". I finally realized that at the very least I could be confident that God would never do me wrong. I don't have to listen to what men would tell me was required of me, even if those men were using a 2000 year old book. They are still just men and that book was written by men. I would think a persons bond to a Christ-like power would transcend fear induced by the written or spoken word. Choose your own adventure. If you are still so inclined:

There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love. 1 John 4:18

Old 12-06-2015, 10:45 AM

4,749 posts, read 4,322,571 times
Hi Denise,

I fully believe in Him, but I did struggle due to a video that I watched on YouTube where a lady tired to convince a black woman that Christianity was a lie created to "keep blacks in line". I decided to put my faith in him and trust him because there's no reason not to (in my opinion). I'm better off believing in Christ and the word than not believing.

You say you want to meet other Christians. Do you go to good bible-based church? Are you a member of a small group? I'm working on doing these things, myself. I know that I have a lot of growing to do.

This is because I idolize marriage and motherhood and fantasize about my future husband (I'm 21). I've spoken to the Lord about this and he has assured me that once I do what he wants me to do, he will send me the husband he has for me, and I will get the things I desire in life (example: I'd like to homeschool my future children).

Take care,
Pinkmani

Old 12-06-2015, 11:32 AM

28,956 posts, read 16,357,412 times
Struggling with my faith in Christ?

It's what you make it, and how you take it?
Doubt is looking for light in a world of darkness.

Old 12-06-2015, 01:37 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times
I try not to loose faith a much as I can , still I would love to go to a cemetery and get Jesus to raise the dead or go to a river and walk on water , but Jesus spirit thinks that is funny ........ Then as we live in a world who has hypocrisy governments and lean to things of the death , and has perplexing ideas with hypocrisy with ideas of climate change and the inabilities to fix the issue which is a threat to the economies of the world , where the world is a dangerous place with strange ideas , so some of us will have to lean of God without any fear and faith in God and His promise will be important especially if in these times atheism and its hopelessness rises up and tries to push the Christians around .........

Old 12-06-2015, 05:20 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecheese View Post
I did the 'saved' bit in 1961 when I was eleven. By the time I was 19 and married the doubts became too overwhelming I lost my faith never to rekindle it. Doubt is healthy, unquestioning faith isn't. One should never hang onto a faith as a form of 'fire insurance' if you find it isn't credible, imo.
DITTO here...It is not FAITH that I was seeking. Over the years I have learned that faith can be what ever I make it to be--dependent completely on my point of view.

The great thing about "doubt" is the opportunity to meet so many others in teh same place and learning we are not alone, immoral of bound for hell.

My Emancipation From American Christianity

Suddenly all these really neat blogs and articles are falling in my lap.

Old 12-06-2015, 05:29 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,367,893 times
Quote:

Denise
"Saved" and "born-again" are just fundie titles.

What do you feel in your heart? Do that, and ignore what other people tell you that you "should do". I think if you did that, you would be at peace.

Old 12-06-2015, 09:05 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:

Denise
You talk about "...believing what God says in His Word." Presumably you are referring to the bible. And you claim you "chose to believe" that was so.

Many of us are not so...I'll call it, "fortunate," to be able to choose our beliefs, as if they were selections at a deli.

They either make sense or they do not. They are either palatable and digestible and good for you, or they fail in some aspect and are rejected.

If they make sense. If they feel true. If they bring comfort.

Yay!

Go with it.

But if you have to talk yourself into them, as you appear to be doing, and you're still concerned about possible ramifications for possibly sounding "rebellious," then I'd pause and do some questioning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity