Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 10:14 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Christ is a title and refers to "The Word" or divine idea, concept, spirit or whatever you wish to call it that was embodied in the man called Jesus, often referred to as Jesus, the Christ or Jesus Christ, or in this case, the Christ, Jesus or Christ Jesus.
Actually, "Christ" is the Greek word for the Hebrew word "Messiah" -- the anointed one sent by God. He was foretold since Genesis. He wasn't just embedded in Jesus, but is the 2nd person of the Godhead, the Son. He did leave Heaven and was incarnate -- meaning that he became 'in flesh", but Jesus was not just some guy that God entered into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2015, 10:31 AM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
He saves all that the Father gives him. He is a complete success.

John 6:37 "All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out." He never suggested that he wanted to save all human beings that ever lived.

Yes. this is part of the whole problem.

Please explain to me how Jesus can teach that God loves everyone, yet He only loves a portion of them so much more than the others that He calls them to salvation, John 6:37 while the vast majority of mankind that He "loves" He doesn't love them enough to call them to salvation. And please reconcile this with Paul's proclamation that "There is no partiality with God". Romans 2:11

Old 12-22-2015, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post

Please explain to me how Jesus can teach that God loves everyone,
What passage says that? Can you show me?
Quote:
yet He only loves a portion of them so much more than the others that He calls them to salvation, John 6:37 while the vast majority of mankind that He "loves" He doesn't love them enough to call them to salvation. And please reconcile this with Paul's proclamation that "There is no partiality with God". Romans 2:11
Paul's statement in Romans 2:11 is in the context of the question of God choosing Jews only, or Gentiles, as well. He's stating that God condemns both--and is not partial to only Jews or only Gentiles. Everyone -- Jew and Gentile alike, deserves damnation because we have all sinned -- and we have demonstrated that none of us are righteous because we live by the Law. None of us can achieve perfect obedience to the Law, and we all condemn ourselves by sinning.

Old 12-22-2015, 11:09 AM

1,506 posts, read 1,379,980 times
Quote:
He saves all that the Father gives him. He is a complete success.

John 6:37 "All that the Father gives me will come to me, and whoever comes to me I will never cast out." He never suggested that he wanted to save all human beings that ever lived.
That's actually quite debatable as we've seen endlessly on this forum...Wow, it seems like a while since we've actually had a UR debate here though..but given the holiday season, I'm not in the mood right now. Maybe Eusebius will show up!

Old 12-22-2015, 12:26 PM

Quote:

Paul's statement in Romans 2:11 is in the context of the question of God choosing Jews only, or Gentiles, as well. He's stating that God condemns both--and is not partial to only Jews or only Gentiles. Everyone -- Jew and Gentile alike, deserves damnation because we have all sinned -- and we have demonstrated that none of us are righteous because we live by the Law. None of us can achieve perfect obedience to the Law, and we all condemn ourselves by sinning.

I say in conclusion there's no earthly reason for a PhD course in the mechanics of God's salvation. Paul is the one who turned a simple concept of God's salvation into a Jews first and Gentiles afterwards thing. It's all man-made dogma that serves no purpose other than to cause debates, hard feelings, and controversies.

And before you say it, I'll say it for you:

"The only one who debates, has hard feelings, and causes controversies is you, Thrill."

Old 12-22-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
I say in conclusion there's no earthly reason for a PhD course in the mechanics of God's salvation. Paul is the one who turned a simple concept of God's salvation into a Jews first and Gentiles afterwards thing. All manmade dogma that serves no purpose other than to cause debates, hard feelings, and controversies.

Paul's writings were inspired by God. He learned them firsthand from Jesus himself.
Quote:
And before you say it, I'll say it for you:

"The only one who debates, has hard feelings, and causes controversies is you, Thrill."
You're not he only one, but you're one of them makes a habit of posting things that get people worked up.

Old 12-22-2015, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Paul's writings were inspired by God. He learned them firsthand from Jesus himself.

Oh, like hell he was.

Quote:
You're not the only one, but you're one of them makes a habit of posting things that get people worked up.

Why? Because I tell the truth that Paul was a Jew who desperately wanted acceptance by his fellow Jews for his wacky ideas on salvation? And when he couldn't find acceptance from ANY of the original 12 apostles he broke off and started calling himself "The Apostle to the Gentiles" because the Jews were too educated to be taken in by his outlandish ideas of salvation through faith alone when they had it directly from Jesus that salvation was by faith plus good works.

Paul succeeded because he drew lots of poor disenfranchised Gentiles who readily took to a religion that didn't require them to work hard for salvation but could be done strictly on belief (faith). That's why 99.9% of Paul's converts were uneducated and without any sense of being able to discern truth from fiction--much like fundamentalist Christians in the Appalachians and South today.

Old 12-22-2015, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Oh, like hell he was.

Why? Because I tell the truth that Paul was a Jew who desperately wanted acceptance by his fellow Jews for his wacky ideas on salvation? And when he couldn't find acceptance from ANY of the original 12 apostles he broke off and started calling himself "The Apostle to the Gentiles" because the Jews were too educated to be taken in by his outlandish ideas of salvation through faith alone when they had it directly from Jesus that salvation was by faith plus good works.

Paul succeeded because he drew lots of poor disenfranchised Gentiles who readily took to a religion that didn't require them to work hard for salvation but could be done strictly on belief (faith). That's why 99.9% of Paul's converts were uneducated and without any sense of being able to discern truth from fiction--much like fundamentalist Christians in the Appalachians and South today.
I've long realized that Biblical hermeneutics was not a strong suit of yours....but wow.

Old 12-22-2015, 01:32 PM

Quote:
I've long realized that Biblical hermeneutics was not a strong suit of yours....but wow.

That's not me talking, that PhD scholars Robert Price and Richard Carrier. Take it up with them.

Old 12-22-2015, 03:38 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,920,829 times
Quote:

Please explain to me how Jesus can teach that God loves everyone, yet He only loves a portion of them so much more than the others that He calls them to salvation, John 6:37 while the vast majority of mankind that He "loves" He doesn't love them enough to call them to salvation. And please reconcile this with Paul's proclamation that "There is no partiality with God". Romans 2:11
Quote:
You have been shown many times that the last few verses of Matthew 5 unequivocally says that and yet you will neither address the issue nor cease your canard against the nature of God.

What ever happened to honesty?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity