Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2015, 10:08 AM

27,914 posts, read 29,727,261 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
p.s. I consider 'quirky' a compliment.
Quirky! Quirky! Quirky! Quirky! Quirky! Quirky! Quirky! Quirky! Quirky! Quirky! Quirky! Quirky!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2015, 10:29 AM

1,569 posts, read 1,318,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
No worries, george. I knew what you meant and I've appreciated your posts on this thread. In fact, I enjoy all of your posts. I just thought that was as good a place as any to post my beliefs about prayer.

p.s. I consider 'quirky' a compliment.

thanks for the props, big guy and right back at ya!!!

yes, quirky can be very good both to lighten the mood and perhaps to help us realize that sometimes we are ALL kind of like the blind men and the elephant, EACH of us perceiving a part of reality and truth and NONE of us able to know it all---but with the grace of the God/the "higher power" we continue to grope toward the place where we can see and love both the truth and those others who also are looking for it in their ways as well.

peace to all of us on our sincere (and sometimes quirky, LOL and) journey to find the truth.

Old 12-30-2015, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeinbandonoregon View Post
thanks for the props, big guy and right back at ya!!!
"Big guy" is a woman, George.

Old 12-30-2015, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
"Big guy" is a woman, George.

golly gee and ain't I embarrassed---consider the props suitably modified gender appropriately (or they may be returned for a full refund---minus shipping and handling charges of course!!)

OTOH, seems "guy" nowadays has actually become rather gender neutral in many cases so you MIGHT also consider it's use in this case a rather "quirky" comeback (or not, LOL)!!!

Last edited by georgeinbandonoregon; 12-30-2015 at 11:18 AM..

Old 12-30-2015, 11:03 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,022,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeinbandonoregon View Post
golly gee and ain't I embarrassed--
No need. It happens a lot. I think because I chose a gender-neutral user name, but one that is often associated with dive bars and cheap beer.

Which makes it PERFECT for the Religion and Spirituality forum.

Old 12-30-2015, 11:25 AM

quote=DewDropInn;42449316]No need. It happens a lot. I think because I chose a gender-neutral user name, but one that is often associated with dive bars and cheap beer.

Which makes it PERFECT for the Religion and Spirituality forum. [/quote]

and your CDF "moniker" is as perfect as one could ever hope or expect for a definitely wild and crazy "speakeasy" like this forum. you go girl!!!

sometimes I kind of regret that my plodding pedestrian mind created a rather plodding pedestrian forum name that is for better or worse who I am and where I'm from---sadly no alluring mystery there but then I was never one of the cool or the clever kids (even when I WAS a kid---so LONG ago!!!!).

Last edited by georgeinbandonoregon; 12-30-2015 at 11:33 AM..

Old 12-30-2015, 11:56 AM

1,436 posts, read 1,875,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
And if you actually, really think that doing such in praying a hundred Our Fathers or a hundred Hail Marys is actually, really conversing with their heavenly Father, then so be it. It just seems rather shallow to me. It is not telling our heavenly Father what is really bugging us. It is a form of magic. If I pray this prayer 100 times, something magic will happen. Maybe God will get tired of me praying this same prayer over and over and over again and He will crack and give me what I want just to shut me up?
What's shallow to you, isn't to the 1.2 Billion of us who look to these prayers for devotions.
When I've prayed those Hail Mary's, I knew God heard and answered my prayer.
Try telling the Catholic priest that his continuous prayer of the Rosary was useless when he was trapped and held hostage by ISIS.

It's not about "magic" and Christianity has never been about magic, and to see you use this word echoes what the Atheist use in their arguments.

Talking to God has to be about how the heart motivates you to speak and act. God know's what's on the heart of his people.

If you condemn the use of "rote" prayers, then I expect you condemn music and dance as a form of prayer since it isn't a conversation with the heavenly father.

I'd also expect that you'd condemn the Catholic Mass, which follows the same structure in each Sunday, in each parish, around the world?

If expectations are correct, you just don't like the Catholic way of doing things.

Old 12-30-2015, 12:00 PM

1,436 posts, read 1,875,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Do you think your heavenly Father wants to have a real, loving relationship with you in which you converse with Him what is really on your heart? Or do you think He just wants to hear some canned prayer over and over and over and over again?

No, there was no sloppiness to it at all. That is just your opinion. I wouldn't have brought up the fact that a person needs to really express their problems to God such as the case when my nephews were being raped by a Catholic priest and the hierarchy would do nothing about it whatsoever. God wants to hear from us from the heart. He wants to hear what is really affecting us. Canned prayers don't do that.

That would have been fine if people just gave me their reply to my original question. But when they make posts condemning me for this or that, I think I have the right to defend myself against such attacks.
Actually my original post was such that it was posited as a simple question concerning two people and how they prayed and I asked "what do you think of this?" I was willing to hear opinions. But when it degraded into all manner of false accusations, I felt obligated to respond.

What you call "disrespecting" is what I call "open for debate." It is open for debate to consider the prayer of my Catholic sister and the prayer of her Baptist son-in-law. I'm sorry to have to tell you this, but the world does not revolve around you. Not everyone is going to agree with you. And if one disagrees with you, it is not out of disrespect.
"Canned Prayers don't do that"

How do you know?
Please let me know how you managed to schedule brunch with God, I must see if I can schedule one too!

You have no authority whatsoever to define what prayer should be.

The type of prayer you are talking about is "verbal." The prayer that is said threw the mouth, yet, that prayer is just echoing what's on the heart and mind.

No, it is disrespecting people's way of prayer. Calling someone's prayer useless is disrespectful and if this was truly open for debate, you'd know when the debate is over.

Old 12-30-2015, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
"Canned Prayers don't do that"

How do you know?
Please let me know how you managed to schedule brunch with God, I must see if I can schedule one too!

You have no authority whatsoever to define what prayer should be.

The type of prayer you are talking about is "verbal." The prayer that is said threw the mouth, yet, that prayer is just echoing what's on the heart and mind.

No, it is disrespecting people's way of prayer. Calling someone's prayer useless is disrespectful and if this was truly open for debate, you'd know when the debate is over.
Calm down and take a deep breath. Judgmental people are not deserving of your time, and the more you try to reason with them, the worse it gets.

Old 12-30-2015, 12:46 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,887,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
What's shallow to you, isn't to the 1.2 Billion of us who look to these prayers for devotions.
Sorry but you are using the fallacy called "argumentum ad populum" that if everyone does it, it must be right. But it proves nothing to use such a fallacy.

Quote:
When I've prayed those Hail Mary's, I knew God heard and answered my prayer.
Try telling the Catholic priest that his continuous prayer of the Rosary was useless when he was trapped and held hostage by ISIS.
You KNOW God heard and answered your canned prayers? I can play that game to: He told me those prayers were boring and irritating to hear it over and over and over again. He said He wished that Catholic priest would have just bared his heart to Him rather than praying useless repetitive prayers. There, how do you like that?

Quote:
It's not about "magic" and Christianity has never been about magic, and to see you use this word echoes what the Atheist use in their arguments.
Um, that's another fallacy called "guilt by association." It might help you to learn about fallacies in argumentation.

Quote:
Talking to God has to be about how the heart motivates you to speak and act. God know's what's on the heart of his people.
Now we are getting somewhere. That is so true. He does know. But He also just wants to hear it from YOUR heart! From YOU! not from some canned pre-prepared prayer from some long dead person.
Quote:
If you condemn the use of "rote" prayers, then I expect you condemn music and dance as a form of prayer since it isn't a conversation with the heavenly father.
Ooooo music and dance! Oooooo, that is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo evil! Oooooo.

Quote:
I'd also expect that you'd condemn the Catholic Mass, which follows the same structure in each Sunday, in each parish, around the world?
I used to be an altar boy for years. I knew the mass in Latin. I was one of the lucky ones that wasn't, well, how shall I say this without causing offence, abused. The priests in our parish were very godly men who really loved us. I also was always on the honor roll especially the religion classes. I excelled. I loved it. Sometimes I still visit the old Catholic church in the city I grew up in. Just recently over Christmas my twin brother and I drove to St. Mary's and had a walk around it and mused over the school behind the church we attended. It brought back a lot of good memories.

Quote:
If expectations are correct, you just don't like the Catholic way of doing things.
No, not really. I just wish my Catholic brothers and sisters would get out of their comfort zone and just talk to God as if He were their best friend. Just like they do over the phone. Laugh, share secrets, you know. God wants to hear the real you. Not something canned. He's waiting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity