Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2016, 11:11 AM

31,374 posts, read 20,045,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Can you think of any reason why I put those quotation marks in there ?
Can you comprehend that I was joking?

I know better than to think you were starting to figure out some truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 11:12 AM

2,678 posts, read 2,077,950 times
"God won't give you more than you can handle".

Easy way to dismiss a suffering person without lifting a finger to help. Takes the Christ out of Christianity.

Old 01-04-2016, 11:20 AM

17,156 posts, read 11,322,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrhockney View Post
I have to say though, if it wasn't so badly executed by many fundamentalists, the concept really isn't such a bad thing...I mean while there are many things fundamentalists consider sinful that normal people do not, imagine employing this philosophy without any religious aspects at all and only use what the law considers a sin...in this case, it might actually be more loving and decent than the standard secular model of Criminal Justice but I'd have to think about that more...yeah, it would depend on the situation and crime but who knows..
I agree, Jr.

Old 01-06-2016, 10:37 AM

88,160 posts, read 84,024,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vall View Post
"God won't give you more than you can handle".

Easy way to dismiss a suffering person without lifting a finger to help. Takes the Christ out of Christianity.
Agree. That phrase is a crock. I also hate hearing people claim that Christians in the US are being persecuted. What arrogance.

Old 01-06-2016, 05:59 PM

23,896 posts, read 32,199,228 times
"That is a dead church" - translation "That church is not charismatic".

"The Lord told me to tell you that..." translation - "I feel this way, but I am going to let God take the rap".

"I rebuke you in the name of Jesus" - "eff you, and I hate what you just said"

"the enemy" - the devil

Crises Pregnancy Center a place that tries to scare women out of abortion.

Hate the sin, love the sinner - they hate what you are.

Fellowship (as a verb) - translation have coffee and baked goods together in the basement of the church.

partake - usually that means "eat".

Old 01-06-2016, 06:13 PM

23,896 posts, read 32,199,228 times
"I don't feel led to to that" - I don't want to do that, but I'll blame God.

"She has a such a sweet spirit!" - a submissive woman with a soft voice who sings - watch out.

"I'll be there, Lord willing" - hire a mover.

"I don't feel led to do that" - I don't want to do that.

That's not my gifting" - I don't wanna do that either.

"OK, lets come to the Lord in prayer" - this discussion is over.

"Are you a Christian?" - Do you attend a Baptist, Assembly of God, Church of God, Nondenominational Christian, Christian Missionary Alliance, Church of Christ, Pentecostal, Nazarene, Spirit Filed or Non Denominational Christian Church. (As opposed to any mainline denominational Church, Catholic, Orthodox Christian, Mormon, Episcopalian, Lutheran, Presbyterian - or other church.

Last edited by sheena12; 01-06-2016 at 06:55 PM.. Reason: I had to add that last one.

Old 01-06-2016, 06:20 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,034,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

"She has a such a sweet spirit!" - a submissive woman with a soft voice who sings - watch out.

Keep 'em coming! You're nailing it.

Old 01-06-2016, 06:27 PM

19,773 posts, read 13,311,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
... I find many worship songs to be presented with such redundant lyrics you pretty much are nuts and spent by the 12th repetitive verse.
The repetition is hypnotic on purpose; it is supposed to evoke worshipful awe and in charismatic circles especially it is absolutely essential to set the stage for what is called (another buzz word!) "the move of god" (which I always thought sounded a bit like god was taking a dump). You can't get nearly as many people "slain in the spirit" or speaking in tongues without putting them in the right state of emotional arousal.

Even less emotionally manipulative songs use repetition to drive home points ... and that is in fairness not limited to religion. Think: advertising jingles. How much does anyone really wonder where the yellow went and what that had to do with Pepsodent? And yet here I am some half century after I heard that blasted commercial and I can sing it and remember most of the words. And of course there's the equivalent from children's church, e.g.,
Quote:
The B-I-B-L-E, yes that's the book for me, I stand alone on the word of god, the B-I-B-L-E!
Or even without music: "God said it, I believe it, that settles it."

Whether ad jingles or gospel songs or repetitive praise anthems or group slogans, all are designed to disengage the brain and immerse you in the desired emotions, so that you are convinced, as Gollum says in Lord of the Rings, "We NEEDS it! We WANTS it!!"

Indoctrination is effective, no matter who does it.

Old 01-06-2016, 06:30 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,126,183 times
Cover them in your blood Lord.

Old 01-06-2016, 06:44 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,665,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

"Bless his/her heart!!"

Example: He just has trouble staying in the Word, bless his heart!

Translation: That SOB is going straight to hell!

Example: She would do so much better if she spent more time on her knees, bless her heart!

Translations: That SOB is going straight to hell.

Example: Wardendresden might make a fine child of God without all that textual criticism stuff, bless his heart!

Translation: That SOB is going straight to hell!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity