Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 08:12 AM

10 posts, read 8,813 times

Advertisements

Does obedience to the law of God save us or not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 09:08 AM

28,099 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse2014 View Post
No, it does not, but that doesn't mean we're not supposed to be obedient. God's grace allows you to be better than you could ever hope to be on your own, and when you've shown Him by your obedience that you love and honor Him, His grace will lift you to heights you never dreamed of.

Old 12-31-2015, 09:30 AM

33,230 posts, read 26,447,455 times
Quote:
No. It is not by obedience to the Law, or by works, or by anything that you can do by which you are eternally saved. Eternal life is clearly stated to be a free gift which you receive simply by trusting in Jesus Christ who did all the work by which our salvation was made possible, and who alone perfectly kept the law.

If eternal life is a free gift, and it is, then you can do nothing to earn it. You do not work, or do something such as keeping the Law in order to earn or otherwise deserve the gift. A true gift is freely given without strings.
Ephesians 2:8 For by grace you are saved through faith; and that not of yourselves, it is the gift of God; 9] not as a result of works, so that no one may boast.

Titus 3:5 He saved us, not on the basis of deeds which we have done in righteousness, but according to His mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewing by the Holy Spirit,
We are saved by grace. Grace is God's policy and attitude toward sinful man. Grace means that God did everything necessary to make our salvation possible. We are saved through faith in Christ Jesus. Faith is simply the means by which you take possession of the free gift which God offers. A gift which is offered must still be received, taken hold of. Faith, that is, trusting in the finished redemptive work of Jesus on the cross is how you take possession of the free gift of eternal life. There is no merit in the faith. The merit is in the object of your faith which is Jesus.

Revelation 22:17 tells us that the water of life is offered without cost.
Revelation 22:17 The Spirit and the bride say, "Come." And let the one who hears say, "Come." And let the one who is thirsty come; let the one who wishes take the water of life without cost.
You must distinguish between what is required for eternal life which is simply to have trusted in Jesus which again is simply how you take possession of eternal life, and what is necessary to be a spiritually growing believer which demands learning and applying the word of God to your life which includes obedience to the stated commands for the Church-age believer. The Church by the way is not under the Mosaic Law.

Old 12-31-2015, 09:32 AM

7,874 posts, read 14,179,752 times
Great question!

Grace is not a doctrine or a belief system, but a Person: the Lord Jesus Christ.

The easiest way to accept the grace of God is to see the Lamb as your replacement, just as the Old Testament lambs were for those under the law. He died for you, yes - but He also died AS YOU.

Your old man (nature) is crucified with Him, and when He was raised, you were raised with Him. Now, we are seated with Him in heavenly places, resting in the finished work that is our righteousness - I repeat - He is our righteousness - our peace, joy, strength, all we need in this life.

And not to be overlooked, our relationship with the Father is based on the One at His right hand, as we are covered by His blood. We should not look at our weakness or faults, but at His status on the throne.

Because as He is, so are we in the earth. (1 John 4:17)

Old 12-31-2015, 09:46 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
OBEDIENCE is no longer a criteria to FREE grace.

Love your Neighbor whom you see and then you are able to love God whom you have not seen...

A simple 4-letter word will get you "grace"----LOVE

Old 12-31-2015, 09:57 AM

17,161 posts, read 11,392,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
OBEDIENCE is no longer a criteria to FREE grace.

Love your Neighbor whom you see and then you are able to love God whom you have not seen...

A simple 4-letter word will get you "grace"----LOVE
Here's a Jesus quote to go along with that:

"Therefore I tell you, her sins, which are many, are forgiven—for she loved much. But he who is forgiven little, loves little.â€

Old 12-31-2015, 10:03 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,033,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Great question!

Grace is not a doctrine or a belief system, but a Person: the Lord Jesus Christ.
Now, see?...This is why we have ridiculous BS out there now along with all the confusion...And so many arguments going on...According to your bible, Grace IS NOT a person...

Old 12-31-2015, 10:07 AM

Grace is getting what you don't deserve and not getting what you do deserve...

Old 12-31-2015, 10:18 AM

4,217 posts, read 2,785,792 times
"If the son frees you, you shall truly be free.

The son can only do what he sees the Father doing whatever the Father does the son does likewise for the Father loves the son and whatever he does He shows him.

Israel is my son my firstborn let my son go so he can serve me, says the Lord.

I said you are gods, all of you, sons of the Most High, says the Lord to Israel. Rise up O god and judge the earth.

You are my witnesses (Israel), my servants whom I have chosen.

Here is my servant whom I uphold my chosen one with whom I am pleased upon whom I have put my spirit, he will deliver justice to the nations.

A king will reign rightly and princes will rule justly.

I am the Lord your God (Israel) the one who stirs up the sea till its waves roar, the Lord of Hosts by name, I have put my words into your mouth and shielded you with the shadow of my hand.

The upright shall dwell in the land, the blameless shall remain in it.

The words of the Lord are upright and all His works are truthful He loves justice and right.

My chosen ones shall inherit my holy mountain, my servants shall dwell there.

This is the covenant I have made with them. My spirit which is upon you and my words which I have put into your mouth shall never leave your mouth nor the mouths of your children nor the mouths of your children's children from now on and forever.

Genuine worshipers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth.

God's word is truth.

Speak the truth to one another"

Old 12-31-2015, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post
"If the son frees you, you shall truly be free.

The son can only do what he sees the Father doing whatever the Father does the son does likewise for the Father loves the son and whatever he does He shows him.

Israel is my son my firstborn let my son go so he can serve me, says the Lord.

I said you are gods, all of you, sons of the Most High, says the Lord to Israel. Rise up O god and judge the earth.

You are my witnesses (Israel), my servants whom I have chosen.

Here is my servant whom I uphold my chosen one with whom I am pleased upon whom I have put my spirit, he will deliver justice to the nations.

A king will reign rightly and princes will rule justly.

I am the Lord your God (Israel) the one who stirs up the sea till its waves roar, the Lord of Hosts by name, I have put my words into your mouth and shielded you with the shadow of my hand.

The upright shall dwell in the land, the blameless shall remain in it.

The words of the Lord are upright and all His works are truthful He loves justice and right.

My chosen ones shall inherit my holy mountain, my servants shall dwell there.

This is the covenant I have made with them. My spirit which is upon you and my words which I have put into your mouth shall never leave your mouth nor the mouths of your children nor the mouths of your children's children from now on and forever.

Genuine worshipers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth.

God's word is truth.

Speak the truth to one another"
IOW...The Jews...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity