Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2016, 03:28 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrhockney View Post
Hey Finn, is it possible to really Love God without Loving your neighbor?
I have explained that one leads to the other, so they go hand in hand, and you will love both God and your neighbor. The Spirit brings forth the fruit. The desire to serve your neighbor is a fruit of the Spirit, given to you by God. Paul didn't love his neighbor until he loved God first. Soon after his conversion he loved God AND his neighbor.

Other posters here argue you must "master" loving your neighbor before you can love God. I disagree with that.

Sometimes, like in the case of the thief on the cross, there is only love for God. He died loving God without ever having the change to serve others.

Quote:
LOL, I just gazed over this thread and I'm still trying to figure out if Warden and Finn actually disagree on something here..
Like I mentioned earlier, people often disagree only for the sake of disagreeing. In the other hand, Warden maintains he cannot understand anything I say, and without understanding it is impossible for him to agree, or disagree.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2016, 03:32 PM

1,613 posts, read 1,028,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
I know evangelicals will never admit it but keeping the greatest commandment according to them is primarily believing the right things about Jesus and the bible and if you don't believe all the right things about the bible and Jesus, then do not even waste your time trying to love your neighbor as yourself because you can't.
Ain't that the truth. I'd buy you a beer for nailing that one, neighbour.

Old 01-04-2016, 03:38 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,917,131 times
Synergy

Old 01-04-2016, 03:43 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,354,085 times
Quote:
Hey Finn, is it possible to really Love God without Loving your neighbor?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Paul didn't love his neighbor until he loved God first.
There it is!

Paul was brought to his knees and corrected for persecuting others.

Old 01-04-2016, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
There it is!

Paul was brought to his knees and corrected for persecuting others.
Lot of Christians were persecuted and even killed for their beliefs. God hand-picked Paul specifically for a very special mission. I mentioned him, because he is a good example of someone who received the fruits of the Spirit after receiving the Spirit first.

Old 01-04-2016, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Lot of Christians were persecuted and even killed for their beliefs. God hand-picked Paul specifically for a very special mission. I mentioned him, because he is a good example of someone who received the fruits of the Spirit after receiving the Spirit first.
And, if you already by nature possess this Spirit?

Old 01-04-2016, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Synergy
The interaction or cooperation of two or more substances, that produce a combined effect greater than the sum of their separate effects.

Old 01-04-2016, 04:16 PM

1,506 posts, read 1,379,439 times
Quote:
I have explained that one leads to the other, so they go hand in hand, and you will love both God and your neighbor. The Spirit brings forth the fruit. The desire to serve your neighbor is a fruit of the Spirit, given to you by God. Paul didn't love his neighbor until he loved God first. Soon after his conversion he loved God AND his neighbor.

Other posters here argue you must "master" loving your neighbor before you can love God. I disagree with that.

Sometimes, like in the case of the thief on the cross, there is only love for God. He died loving God without ever having the change to serve others.

Like I mentioned earlier, people often disagree only for the sake of disagreeing. In the other hand, Warden maintains he cannot understand anything I say, and without understanding it is impossible for him to agree, or disagree.
Hmm. Ok but what if a person says they love God but does not love their neighbor? Are they lying when they say they love God?...And perhaps to make it more interesting (bonus question): what if another person clearly loves their neighbor and perhaps even lay down their lives for them, but don't know if they love God because they are not sure he exists?

Last edited by Jrhockney; 01-04-2016 at 05:14 PM..

Old 01-04-2016, 04:24 PM

37,337 posts, read 28,285,273 times
Finn Jarber, you said Paul didn't love his neighbor until he loved God first....can you explain what loving God first is?

Old 01-04-2016, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Hmm. Ok but what if a person says they love God but does not love their neighbor? Are they lying when they say they love God?...And perhaps to make it more interesting (bonus question): what if another person clearly loves their neighbor and perhaps even lay down their lives for them, but don't know if they love God because they are not sure he exists?
I think it is best to allow God be the judge of whether or not they love God. Don't ask me to judge them and call them liars if they say they love God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity