Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 02:54 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,098,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
You have made it clear you have no idea who God is. You have an interpretation of the bible suited to your prejudiced beliefs you are so attached to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 02:57 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,022,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
You have made it clear you have no idea who God is. You have an interpretation of the bible suited to your prejudiced beliefs you are so attached to.
Imagine no religion......

Of course then the fundamentalists would find some other way to tell everyone who disagrees with them about .....whatever..... that bad things are going to happen to them.

Old 01-06-2016, 02:57 PM

1,569 posts, read 1,318,360 times
it will likely always be hard for us to reconcile or understand the mystery of both the power and foreknowledge of almighty God and ALSO the free will of humans to accept or reject the "free gift of salvation" offered by God in Christ---except in that He is BOTH just and merciful.

perhaps our HOPE of salvation may be glimpsed in scriptures like this:

"now I see that God shows NO favoritism but in EVERY nation the man who does what is right IS acceptable to Him"

"for the Son of Man will render judgment according to every man's DEEDS"

"NO ONE who even gives a cup of water to the least of my brethren shall not lack a REWARD."

"this is how we know we are God's children....anyone who does NOT do what is righteous is not God's child AND anyone who does not love their brother or sister."

FWIW and IMHO we are all part of God's plan and no matter how sure (or unsure) we are of our "predestination" or "election" we can hope for God's mercy and assistance in becoming all that He has planned for us to be IF we strive to serve Him in faith, hope, love, and humility or all the graces and powers God has planned and intended for us (faith to move mountains, prophecy, knowledge, the gift of tongues, whatever) are apparently NOTHING without charity (love in action) and forgiveness ("forgive us as we forgive others").

"...if our heart does not condemn us , we HAVE confidence before God....because we keep his commandments and do what is pleasing in His sight."

"His commandment is this: we are to believe in the name of His Son...AND are to LOVE one another as He commanded us."

hopefully we can all confirm that blessed HOPE of "election" to eternal life by a loving and merciful God by spreading that love and mercy to others as best we can with God's grace and help as was God's plan for His children from the beginning---indeed God has no "favorites" and wants us all to be with Him---but it's ultimately our choice---like the prodigal son we can always leave BUT (thanks be to God) there is the (long) standing invitation to come back in repentance to a forgiving Father and the Good Shepherd is always looking to bring back His "lost sheep" however far they stray (if they want to be found).

Old 01-06-2016, 03:01 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,212,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
83% of all statistics are 99% wrong.

No one polled me.

Old 01-06-2016, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Imagine no religion......

Of course then the fundamentalists would find some other way to tell everyone who disagrees with them about .....whatever..... that bad things are going to happen to them.
You seem to enjoy telling everyone who you disagree with that they're wrong. Does that make you a fundy?

Old 01-06-2016, 03:07 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,869,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
No. This is where it all falls apart. You think that because people won't bow down to your warped ideas about God, it means they hate God. So, I repeat this on the off chance that you will comprehend it .... your views ABOUT God do not equal God. But your views about God do portray God as a contemptible character, I agree.
Indeed.

Old 01-06-2016, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleroo View Post
No. This is where it all falls apart. You think that because people won't bow down to your warped ideas about God, it means they hate God.
No..that really isn't it. As I've said--it's because I actually believe what God has said. Please try to at least pay attention to what I say rather than tell me what I believe.
Quote:

So, I repeat this on the off chance that you will comprehend it .... your views ABOUT God do not equal God. But your views about God do portray God as a contemptible character, I agree.
My views or your views are irrelevant. It's what God has said about himself that is relevant.

Old 01-06-2016, 03:15 PM

37,336 posts, read 28,087,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Unless you can explain why you are chosen while others are not and end up eternally tormented because they are not chosen, you will not be taken seriously by me. While you are at it prove by the bible you think you believe in by example how someone other than a fundamentalist was shown to hate God. Paul did not go around telling folk they hated God so why are you? .

Old 01-06-2016, 03:17 PM

37,336 posts, read 28,087,833 times
Quote:
No..that really isn't it. As I've said--it's because I actually believe what God has said. Please try to at least pay attention to what I say rather than tell me what I believe.

My views or your views are irrelevant. It's what God has said about himself that is relevant.
Yet you believe your biased views are God's.

Old 01-06-2016, 03:19 PM

30,907 posts, read 32,869,471 times
Quote:

And since He's not standing there talking to you directly and giving all this instruction, you don't KNOW what He has to say about Himself.

He's God; if He wanted to literally say anything, He'd stand there for everyone to see, and say it, plain and simple, and when people had questions about whatever He'd said, He'd be able to answer them. Not in an old perhaps poorly translated, then interpreted colloquially, etc. piece of scripture or the eternal beauty of a flower but with, you know, words. It's God. It could surely manage to pull that off. If an all-powerful God were to say "Let me have a human-like mouth and vocal cords," surely it would happen. N'est-ce pas?

What you feel "God has to say about Himself" is from words written by men, and chauvinistic, warring, backward, frequently vengeful, frightened ancient men ** at that. Followed by a game-change once people were very logically beginning to question their God in earnest - a real human, at least according to stories not written until MUCH later than he lived, despite the fact that not only could his direct disciples probably write, but Jesus himself could he certainly write (having read and argued the Torah), and surely could many of the people just supposedly standing there and listening to him talk could write. Now things were altered a bit...still imperfectly and still with plenty of holes that cropped up immediately but altered...and now THAT'S the "real" word of God directly from God Himself..hmmmmm.

Yeah, none of this is fishy. Gotta be true...

** Not disrespecting Bronze Age peoples, I am actually fascinated by ancient cultures all around the globe and in all time periods. But it is what it is. The Bible is a very, very outwardly, obviously product of its times and locale. Which just by some crazy coincidence happened to place the one true God dead-center of where the men who were writing about Him lived, with those people the chosen people...Yeah, go figure, because that's never been done in any other religion.

Sigh.

ETA: Yikes. I didn't realize this had been moved to the Christianity forum. For some reason I thought it was in the R&S forum...? I have been answering from links in heads-up emails so didn't notice "where" I was. I don't know if the above is okay to post in Xtianity specifically. If not, sorry. However...I definitely am writing from a position of honesty.

ETA:

Quote:
Unless you can explain why you are chosen while others are not and end up eternally tormented because they are not chosen, you will not be taken seriously by me.
But you know why, pcamps.

We all know why.

It's the same reason most if not all fundies (IMO - I haven't personally met every fundie on earth) "have to" believe without question (that "without question" is very important, really thinking logically about all this makes it crumble) that they're of the "absolutely tiny!" percentage of saved.

Because the alternate possibility - that everyone who has humiliated them, cut them off in traffic, everyone who was ever mean to their kids, the bullies who beat them up on the playground, the humiliating bosses, the humiliating logical non-fundies - will NOT burn satisfyingly, complete with agonized screams, for their transgressions against said fundie personally, is absolutely, literally unbearable.

A fundie will pretend he has a larger outlook, and purpose. In reality his purpose is far tinier than the average person's. Because despite lip service on cue with cherry-picked Bible verses, he is thinking about just him...just his incredible reward; punishments against people who have offended just him personally.

Life HAS TO be fair...it has to be...and "fair" means the person making himself that "small percentage" has all his good deeds (actually, just one - accepting Christ "the right way") are (is) rewarded richly, while all his own transgressions, perhaps as bad as all those people he can't wait to see, hear and smell burn, do just that...screaming and begging all the way.

Ahhhhhhhhh good times.

Last edited by JerZ; 01-06-2016 at 03:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity