U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2016, 12:19 PM

14,872 posts, read 18,948,449 times

Advertisements

Is "Three Wise Kings Day" (Jan 6th) part of Christmas?
Because today, I'm the only person in my whole neighborhood that still has their Christmas lights on

Epiphany - ReligionFacts

Epiphany in Christianity is feast celebrating the 'shining forth' or revelation of God to mankind in human form, in the person of Jesus Christ. The observance had its origins in the eastern Christian church, and included the birth of Jesus Christ; the visit of the three Magi (Caspar, Melchior and Balthasar) who arrived in Bethlehem; and all of Jesus' childhood events, up to his baptism in the Jordan by John the Baptist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2016, 12:29 PM

51,969 posts, read 51,088,583 times
We just call it Epiphany (there's no number of Magi given or any indication that they were kings), and yes, that ends Christmas, which is a season, not a day. I keep my lights up until today, too.

Now a friend of mine, an Episcopal deacon, recently mentioned online that she keeps her creche out till Candlemas. I keep meaning to ask about this, but has anyone else ever heard of this tradition and how it originated?

Old 01-06-2016, 12:41 PM

1,484 posts, read 805,310 times
yes (at least for Catholics and Orthodox among others), the "Christmas Season" is not simply one day but a series of events in "salvation history" (the entry of the Divine into our world through Christ's birth and the "revelation"/manifestation of the Savior of "mankind" to both the Jews (the shepherds and those who saw the "dove" come upon Jesus at his baptism by John) AND the gentiles represented by the foreign/gentile wise men/magi who acknowledge that manifestation in the gifts they offer to the child Jesus these happenings are observed and celebrated over a number of days---hence "the 12 days of Christmas" song and for that matter the reason for the name of Shakespeare's play "twelfth night". because of this, it's not uncommon for Catholics to keep "Christmas" decorations up past secular New Years and sing "Christmas Carols" in church through Epiphany.

in fact, by the time the season is over, it often not that long (roughly a month) before the season of Lent begins in anticipation of and preparation for the solemn remembrance of the suffering, death, and resurrection of Jesus for our salvation at "Easter" (in English speaking countries) or "Pascha"/Passover in other lands.

Old 01-06-2016, 01:07 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,531,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Is "Three Wise Kings Day" (Jan 6th) part of Christmas?
Yes. In communities with large numbers of Hispanics and Filipinos it's the day Three Kings Day cookies hit the shelves! A yummy way to finish off the Christmas festivities.

Old 01-06-2016, 01:23 PM

23,708 posts, read 12,246,144 times
Ukrainian Christmas is tomorrow. I always keep my tree up and lights on until after it's over.

Old 01-06-2016, 04:00 PM

13,491 posts, read 4,348,891 times
Just a side note.

Those 3 wise men were Rabbis, and what they brought with them was very telling.

Old 01-06-2016, 04:14 PM

Matthew 2:1. There we see that wise men come from the East to visit Jesus. The land of the East is Babylon, where the largest Jewish population was at the time of the birth of Yeshua. These Jews were descendants from the captivity when King Nebuchadnezzar defeated Israel and took the Jews to Babylon to serve him.

Babylon is referred to as the land of the East in Genesis 29:1 and Judges 6:3. The wise men in Matthew 2:1 were rabbis. The rabbis, also called sages, are known in Hebrew as chakamim, which means wise men.

The word in Matthew 2:1 in Greek is magos, which is translated into English as "Magi." Magos in Greek is the Hebrew word ravmag. Ravmag comes from the Hebrew word rav, which means "rabbi." It should also be noted that the Greek word magos can also mean scientist, counselor, scholar, or teacher. The rabbis were scholars or teachers of the Jewish law

Jesus was referred to as "Rabbi," or "Teacher" in John 1:38,47,49; 3:2. So, we can see that the wise men were Jewish rabbis coming from Babylon to witness the birth of Jesus.

A question we can ask ourselves is, "What made the rabbis make the journey from Babylon to Bethlehem to witness the birth of Jesus?" The answer is given in Matthew 2:2, as it is written, "...we have seen His star in the east...."

One of the requirements during the time of Sukkot was to build an outside temporary shelter and live in it during this festival season. This shelter is called a booth, or sukkah. The sukkah had to be built with an opening in the roof so the people could see the stars in heaven. This is another reason for why the rabbis would be looking for, and thus seeing, the star in the sky when it appeared. In addition, there was a prophecy in Numbers , as it is written, "...a star shall come forth from Jacob..." Numbers 24:17

King Herod inquired about where the Messiah would be born in Matthew 2:4. He was told in Bethlehem Matthew 2:5-6, based upon the prophecy in Micah 5:2.

In Matthew 2:10 it is written, "When they saw the star, they rejoiced with exceeding great joy." Once again, remember that Sukkot is called "the season of our joy." In Matthew 2:2, the rabbis saw the star from the East. Salvation was seen by the Jewish people as coming from the East. Jesus descended from the tribe of Judah Revelation 5:5 The tribe of Judah was positioned on the east side of the tabernacle of Moses in the wilderness. Finally, in Luke 2:32, Jesus is called a light to the Gentiles. Once again, Sukkot is called "the festival of lights" and "the festival of all nations."

Old 01-06-2016, 04:17 PM

1,484 posts, read 805,310 times
brother Hannibal must confess that i never heard the "3 wise men" were rabbis before. FWIW, my (limited) understanding is that they (whoever they were, FWIW, the bible I have translates the original Greek "magoi" as "astrologers" and as such would have been aware of any new movements in the heavens like "the star". FWIW, the note on this passage in Matt. theorizes that they MIGHT have had "some contact with Jewish messiahism") were supposedly looking for "the king of the Jews" as opposed to "OUR king" as I would GUESS that most Jews would have regarded the expected Messiah to be the ruler of ALL Jews everywhere no matter which lands outside Judaea they might then have lived in. as rabbis learned in the law wouldn't they have already known "that which is spoken by the prophet"---that He would be born in Bethlehem instead of having to ask around in Jerusalem?

in any case, for better or worse the traditional concept of the wise men as non-Jews is likely based on the idea that Jesus the Messiah has come not simply to save Israel but to be a "light (of salvation) to the gentiles" and that their coming "out of the east" (from outside of Isreal) is a foreshadowing that the Gentiles (the "people who have walked in darkness...") will see the "great light" that leads them to find, worship, and obey the Savior and have an equal part in the salvation promised to Abraham and his children.

in the peace of Christ who came into the world for the salvation of the world.

Last edited by georgeinbandonoregon; 01-06-2016 at 05:16 PM..

Old 01-06-2016, 04:36 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,531,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeinbandonoregon View Post
-would you please share where you got this.
I'd like to know that as well.

I've asked Hannibal for his sources numerous times..... maybe you'll have better luck.

Old 01-06-2016, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeinbandonoregon View Post
brother Hannibal must confess that i never heard the "3 wise men" were rabbis before---would you please share where you got this. FWIW, my (limited) understanding is that they (whoever they were) were supposedly looking for "the king of the Jews" as opposed to "OUR king" as I would GUESS that most Jews would have regarded the expected Messiah to be the ruler of ALL Jews everywhere no matter which lands outside Judaea they might then have lived in. as rabbis learned in the law wouldn't they have already known "that which is spoken by the prophet"---that He would be born in Bethlehem instead of having to ask around in Jerusalem?

That's what Messianics read and you can find stuff like this on a lot of sights, the olive tree, Eddie Chumney is the best source I know. Eddie has all the same books I began with,'' The Temple by Edersheim.'' and any other, from the Talmud to Josephus and he takes bits and pieces from all the original geniuses.. I would search Eddie Chumney and then put in Rosh Hashanah or Passover, of Pentecost or whatever feast day you want to know about. I don't agree with everything Eddie, but you begin learning what the kingdom of heaven is in that you yourself are Ephraim, and you are Judah where Jesus took two men and made them one.

I suppose Eddie Chumney has brought me further than anyone even if we don't agree on everything, many kinds of Messianics but every single aspect of Jesus life was ordained right down to the swaddling clothes. Judah had gone into Babylon and there were many Rabbis in Babylon considered wise men, they waited and began their travel SPECIFICALLY because of the prophesy of the star of Bethlehem associated with Sukkot and building a sukkah in order to be outside so that the festival is set up so that the whole nation would be outside waiting on that star. They came because they knew the Jewish prophesies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or