Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2016, 09:48 AM

37,337 posts, read 28,289,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Like I asked, where did Peter ever say it was *****FUNDAMENTALIST**** Jews who nailed Jesus to the cross? You are making things up as you go along.
Look Eusebius, if you are pretending that the fundamentalist hierarchy were not behind Jesus being brought to trial and condemned by them for being innocent, you area bigger cherry picker than I had you down for. You also know perfectly well how I am using the word fundamentalist, Jesus was not a fundamentalist. So when Peter said you by the hands of wicked men in Acts 2, he was referring to the same spirit of fundamentalism that today presents the bible to the world like it is God.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2016, 10:16 AM

11,825 posts, read 12,493,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert M Prince View Post
Martin Luther made a direct hit when he said that we are not saved by a faith that is alone. Our natural good works do not qualify us to go to heaven, but if we truly desire to do the will of our heavenly Father, these works are done through us by the Holy Spirit.
See Heb. 10:[36] For ye have need of patience, that, after ye have done the will of God, ye might receive the promise.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Just a clarification....are you suggesting that the works of the Holy Spirit through us qualify us for Heaven?
Not sure if he answered, but the answer is yes.

It's called "sanctification" \ "Sanctify[ing]-[ied]" is the work of the Spirit.
2 Thessalonians 2:13
But we ought always to thank God for you, brothers and sisters loved by the Lord,
because God chose you as first fruits to be saved through the sanctifying work of the Spirit
and through belief in the truth.

1 Corinthians 6:11
But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ
and by the Spirit of our God.
It is the sanctifying work of the Holy Spirit that creates faith, which is why Jesus said:
Mark 3:29
but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven; they are guilty of an eternal sin.”

Last edited by twin.spin; 01-29-2016 at 10:26 AM..

Old 01-29-2016, 10:44 AM

4,217 posts, read 2,785,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcamps View Post
No, I have nothing against the scriptures, I have the same issue that Jesus had with what the fundamentalists of his day that thought they were something they are not and in doing so were blinded by them. When will you get it that Jesus taught to believe on him and learn of him. It is obvious that you believe in a historic Christ rather than one who is an ever present reality in the hear and now who is not teacher of the bible but one who teaches us from within the thoughts and ways of God.
Jesus taught from scripture which is now in the Bible. The son of man is the truth, the way and the life, which is the word of God, scripture.

You need to come to the light and walk in the presence of the Most High as the son of man has shown so you can see the truth and it will set you free as the son of man is set free.

If the truth is in you, the word of God is in you and scripture is in you so the spirit of God is in you because spirit is the word of God as it is written.

You must think Christ is a poltergeist in you but He is the word of God, the way of God and life for the spirit.

Scripture is the word of God. Not everything in the Bible is scripture.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacegiver View Post
Jesus taught from scripture which is now in the Bible. The son of man is the truth, the way and the life, which is the word of God, scripture.

You need to come to the light and walk in the presence of the Most High as the son of man has shown so you can see the truth and it will set you free as the son of man is set free.

If the truth is in you, the word of God is in you and scripture is in you so the spirit of God is in you because spirit is the word of God as it is written.

You must think Christ is a poltergeist in you but He is the word of God, the way of God and life for the spirit.

Scripture is the word of God. Not everything in the Bible is scripture.
No he didn't, he rarely quoted Old Testament scripture.

Old 01-29-2016, 10:52 AM

4,686 posts, read 6,138,296 times
Quote:
No he didn't, he rarely quoted Old Testament scripture.
Umm what bible are you looking at, there was no such thing as a New Testament when Jesus walked the earth. All he quoted and taught from was the Torah.

Old 01-29-2016, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
Umm what bible are you looking at, there was no such thing as a New Testament when Jesus walked the earth. All he quoted and taught from was the Torah.
I know this, that is my point. Jesus had the Old Testament scriptures but in his 3 year ministry rarely quoted them. What he did quote many times were the words that his Father had given him to say.

Old 01-29-2016, 11:48 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
I did Romans 5:20-21. It just doesn't say that to you because of the way you are conditioned to read scripture.
You mean the way I read any other book? In context and with a thought to what the author actually meant by the one statement in light of the rest of the chapter and book?
Quote:

Do you have a verse that says that grace is to get us into heaven?. I thought not.
You thought too soon. John 1:12, Eph 2:8-9, John 3:16...I can keep going.
Quote:

It is not having a best life it is living by another life, the life God intended us to live by ........ I came that you might have life and life more abundantly ..... What life? ....... A life of overcoming the one we mistakenly call life. I don't know about you Pastor Viz, I possess that best life, whether I live in the experience of it is another thing, because it is effective in our experience continually by faith acknowledging it is there in the first place.

The communication of our faith becomes effective by the acknowledging of every good thing that is in us that is in Christ Jesus Philemon 1:6

If you still retain that you are saved from eternal hell, you still do not know what being saved is or what you are saved from, and it is not surprising that you oppose everything that mentions works that does not fit your ABC of salvation.

Old 01-29-2016, 11:54 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,189,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twin.spin View Post
Not sure if he answered, but the answer is yes.

It's called "sanctification" \ "Sanctify[ing]-[ied]" is the work of the Spirit.
2 Thessalonians 2:13
But we ought always to thank God for you, brothers and sisters loved by the Lord,
because God chose you as first fruits to be saved through the sanctifying work of the Spirit
and through belief in the truth.

The Greek word for "through" there is best translated "while" or "during". It's not conditional. Read Paul's manifesto on faith vs. works in the book of Romans. Or read Galatians. He makes clear what he is saying.
Quote:
1 Corinthians 6:11
But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ
and by the Spirit of our God.
Quote:
It is the sanctifying work of the Holy Spirit that creates faith, which is why Jesus said:
Mark 3:29
but whoever blasphemes against the Holy Spirit will never be forgiven; they are guilty of an eternal sin.”
Again...no. Sanctification is separate from justification. Jesus was clear on that when he said it's not what's on the outside of the cup that makes one clean. Paul expounded on that by stating that we aren't saved by the works of the law. The Law exists to show us where we are sinners. We are saved by Jesus first.....THEN we do good things because we are.

Old 01-29-2016, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
You mean the way I read any other book? In context and with a thought to what the author actually meant by the one statement in light of the rest of the chapter and book?

You thought too soon. John 1:12, Eph 2:8-9, John 3:16...I can keep going.

Lol none of the verses you quote say we are saved for heaven, you just read that it into because of the way you are conditioned, and then amazingly you have convinced yourself that you read scripture in context. Get outta of here.

Old 01-29-2016, 12:44 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,785,454 times
Quote:
I know this, that is my point. Jesus had the Old Testament scriptures but in his 3 year ministry rarely quoted them. What he did quote many times were the words that his Father had given him to say.
And what was given Him to say is the word of God which is in the Bible today. Everything Jesus ever said is not written down but He emphasized all God's word.

"Man does not live by bread alone but by every word from the mouth of God."

In other words the word of God is life. All of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity