U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2016, 11:06 AM

230 posts, read 76,562 times

Advertisements

Ok Now I have actually read through the constitution...its very interesting....you know whats even more interesting there is no explicit mention of Christianity ANYWHERE in the constitution.

Jesus, Bible, Christianity, Church, Crucifixion, Cross none of those words appear anywhere.

I for one would think if we were really founded on Judeo-christian principles they would be something more explicitly stating so.

When I see religion mention in the Constitution I see the word NO before it.

"no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office or public trust under the United States." It is physically impossible to not understand this. Our founding father were highly intelligent individuals You would think they would say something like NO religious Test as long as its Christianity or something. instead they said NO

The second time:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof;

Again No law establishing a religion...seriously its plain text, how hard is it to figure it out? Or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; again it is my freedom to question the validity of the bible, or Jesus or be one with nature and worship tress or believe the flying spaghetti monster boiled for my sins...that is my free exercise...again I ask if we are "so christian" why didn't the framers say something like no establishment of a christian sect. i.e. Lutheran over Catholics or baptist over protestant? instead it was left pretty open...no establishment of religion

People like to point to the right to bear and keep arms (i am pro-gun for the record) as explicitly stating the right to own a firearm in the constitution and not open for interpretation, fine I'll give you that but by the same logic the words NO religious test or No establishment of religion without ANY footnote for Christianity is pretty explicit that we are a SECULAR COUNTRY as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2016, 11:16 AM

28,906 posts, read 45,296,292 times
There's also no mention of Jesus or God in the Federalist Papers either. There's only one mention of Christianity, and that was a historical reference to the Germanic tribes.

In truth, when you try to make Christianity the establishment faith, Christianity suffers. After all, most of the countries in Europe collect tithes on behalf of the Lutheran, Catholic and Anglican church. I'm not sure anyone would call those societies more Christian than the United States.

Old 02-04-2016, 04:10 PM

7,878 posts, read 6,686,655 times
Yes God is indeed in the USA Constitution right at the bottom of the page of the Constitution it says .......``Attest William Jackson Secretary ...done in Convention by the Unanimous consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the YEAR OF THE LORD one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven and of the Independence of the United states of America the Twelfth In Witness..........``...............See this happened 1787 years after the birth of Lord Jesus Christ

Old 02-04-2016, 08:40 PM

230 posts, read 76,562 times
Good try but read this

"The Year of Our Lord" and separation.

It's how they did things back then..plus an ambiguous wording does not make us a "Christian nation"

Specific amendments were put in place to make us secular stating no religious test or establishment of religion...that's infinitely more important that some wording that was the norm in Europe which the founding fathers were

Old 03-14-2016, 12:35 AM

381 posts, read 485,889 times
I have read many sources and come to the conclusion that this country was not founded as a "Christian nation" and the founders intended this country to be a nation of religious freedom. The founders were incredible for their foresight in this regard.

The founders were freethinkers. Men of the enlightenment. There were many deists and Unitarians. The did not want to see this country end up like Europe, torn apart by religious strife.

George Washington's Letter to the Hebrew Congregation at Newport makes it clear: "May the children of the stock of Abraham who dwell in this land continue to merit and enjoy the good will of the other inhabitants — while every one shall sit in safety under his own vine and fig tree and there shall be none to make him afraid."

Thomas Jefferson wrote the Virginia Statute for Religious Freedom. Many other sources make this conclusion undeniable.

Old 03-14-2016, 10:06 AM

28,906 posts, read 45,296,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
Yes God is indeed in the USA Constitution right at the bottom of the page of the Constitution it says .......``Attest William Jackson Secretary ...done in Convention by the Unanimous consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the YEAR OF THE LORD one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven and of the Independence of the United states of America the Twelfth In Witness..........``...............See this happened 1787 years after the birth of Lord Jesus Christ
Avalon Project - The Barbary Treaties 1786-1816 - Treaty of Peace and Friendship, Signed at Tripoli November 4, 1796

Here is the text of the treaty John Adams negotiated with the Barbary Pirates. Mind you, this was a delegation picked and sent by George Washington. The treaty was ratified unanimously by the Senate. I call your attention to Article 11:

"As the government of the United States of America is not in any sense founded on the Christian Religion,-as it has in itself no character of enmity against the laws, religion or tranquility of Musselmen,-and as the said States never have entered into any war or act of hostility against any Mehomitan nation, it is declared by the parties that no pretext arising from religious opinions shall ever produce an interruption of the harmony existing between the two countries."

Awfully strange wording for a country that was supposedly founded on the bedrock of Christianity, isn't it? Especially when the treated was greeted with acclaim by a Senate and Administration filled with the very men who fought the Revolution and wrote the Constitution? You'd think that someone might have said something.

Old 03-14-2016, 11:37 AM

26,293 posts, read 14,153,226 times
dannyboy84 - I agree Christianity is not mentioned. What's your point? ... or are you just sharing information?

Old 03-14-2016, 12:58 PM

3,028 posts, read 2,066,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
dannyboy84 - I agree Christianity is not mentioned. What's your point? ... or are you just sharing information?
My guess is that he is RIGHTLY saying that wanting to have laws passed based entirely on religious beliefs is unconstitutional.
As I said in a previous thread, it doesn't matter what a Presidential nominee believes. He or she can't make any law based on his or her religious beliefs. It doesn't matter if the President is a Christian, a Muslim, a Jew, a Mormon, or whatever. They ALL have to act like atheists.

Old 03-14-2016, 03:24 PM

15,243 posts, read 8,262,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
My guess is that he is RIGHTLY saying that wanting to have laws passed based entirely on religious beliefs is unconstitutional.
As I said in a previous thread, it doesn't matter what a Presidential nominee believes. He or she can't make any law based on his or her religious beliefs. It doesn't matter if the President is a Christian, a Muslim, a Jew, a Mormon, or whatever. They ALL have to act like atheists.
Good luck with that (bolded above). Many (most? all?) US presidents have prayed for wisdom & guidance.

Old 03-14-2016, 03:32 PM

37,614 posts, read 25,300,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
The point is: Trying to make God's laws into human laws to be enforced by us is Satanic because it removes the voluntary compliance God requires. What about that do you would-be dictators NOT understand????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or