Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 02:27 PM

20,387 posts, read 12,660,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
It is to show off. It is 250 feet high and represents the bloody, screaming death of Jesus.

Size does not matter when it comes to God. Men always want people to believe their cross is bigger, but women know the truth of such things. In reality their cross is very, very small.
Wow! You've really gone around the bend with this answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2016, 02:30 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,377,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Again...I ask: What do YOU think is the purpose the church exists? Is it to feed, clothe, and shelter the poor? Or did Jesus command something else in Matthew 28?

And, as I pointed out, that money being donated to it is expressly given to build the cross. Not to feed the poor, not to clothe or shelter them. They are not taking money away from the poor to do this.
I am not saying the sole purpose is to feed, clothe, and shelter the poor. What I am saying, is that a church that managed to get a boatload of money to build a cross could have actually done something GOOD with the money. Instead, they spent it to be able to say, "My cross is BIGGER than your cross!"

Do you think the purpose of a church is to build giant crosses and waste a lot money on it? You seem to be under the impression that there was no better way to use this money. How can you honestly and in good conscience think that spending this much money on a cross is a good thing, and that that money could not have been used to help the poor, or anything better than this waste of money?

Old 02-05-2016, 02:42 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,013,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
If there is a hungry or homeless person in the area, what will they think when they look at this thing and know money that could have made a difference in their life was spent BY A CHURCH for a big stupid cross? It's not good marketing.
Well, I googled "Jewish services" in Corpus Christie and it looks like they are quite active in community service programs and helping the needy. And the Jewish community in Corpus Christie* hasn't spent money on an enormous Star of David so hopefully they'll be able to help the people who WEREN'T helped by the Church of the BIG Ol' Cross. Or the people who sent checks to the "special fund" because they decided erecting a BIG ol' cross is what churches are supposed to do.

*The Jewish community in a city named "Body of Christ". That takes dedication.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 02-05-2016 at 02:50 PM..

Old 02-05-2016, 02:44 PM

589 posts, read 329,293 times
Is the cross there for crucifixtion for using free will?

Old 02-05-2016, 02:45 PM

Old men again violating free will?

Old 02-05-2016, 02:57 PM

God said all things will be revealed. Also that the works of the saints are before him and all who believe on Jesus will be saved and to wait on him until the end and that he will win.

Old 02-05-2016, 03:17 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,093,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
I am not saying the sole purpose is to feed, clothe, and shelter the poor. What I am saying, is that a church that managed to get a boatload of money to build a cross could have actually done something GOOD with the money. Instead, they spent it to be able to say, "My cross is BIGGER than your cross!"

Do you think the purpose of a church is to build giant crosses and waste a lot money on it? You seem to be under the impression that there was no better way to use this money. How can you honestly and in good conscience think that spending this much money on a cross is a good thing, and that that money could not have been used to help the poor, or anything better than this waste of money?
I asked first. What is the purpose of the church?

Old 02-05-2016, 03:18 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,093,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
Who wants to know? I prefer to know who I am speaking with. Who do you believe you represent, and speak for? Enlighten me.

You do not wish an answer. You have not asked a question. You wish me to speak to something you have not asked. You are speaking for imaginary others. If you wish to know something, ask me.
I asked a legitimate question. Do you know what the purpose of the church is?

I know as soon as I give my answer you're just going to attack it and I'll never get the answer out of you or anyone else. But if you answer, I'll give mine.

Old 02-05-2016, 03:48 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,582,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Wow! You've really gone around the bend with this answer.
I know nothing about this bend you speak of. It is a mystery to me.

Old 02-05-2016, 03:56 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,582,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I asked a legitimate question. Do you know what the purpose of the church is?

I know as soon as I give my answer you're just going to attack it and I'll never get the answer out of you or anyone else. But if you answer, I'll give mine.
When you speak for yourself, you get your answers.

I have not attacked you. Such a violent thought Viz. I am correcting you. You always seem to speak using the word us. It seems you cannot stand alone when speaking to me. You always need back-up. ahahahahahhaha I am very amused.

I do not practice Church, or play church. I practice faith. I have no need for the Cross as a phallic symbol. I understand you, as a man of religion, supporting such an ostentatious display of manliness.

A await, with bated breath, your answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity