U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 09:27 AM

15,552 posts, read 7,007,722 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Ah, what a wonderful day it will be when everyone feels and directly
experiences the Word of God, Itself...that existed before pen and paper and tongues or breath...the primordial vibration... manifested as light, sound and now can
be experienced in our bodies as the power behind the breath ...in stillness...
in that Secret Place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2016, 10:24 AM

17,743 posts, read 8,883,926 times
Quote:
Ah, what a wonderful day it will be when everyone feels and directly experiences the Word of God, Itself ...that existed before pen and paper and tongues or breath ...the primordial vibration ...manifested as light, sound and now can be experienced in our bodies as the power behind the breath ...in stillness ...in that Secret Place.
The gift of poetic thought!

Old 02-07-2016, 11:00 AM

598 posts, read 240,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Age-enduring View Post
I have some reservations about the Bible being the Word of God - this title applies only to Jesus. For sure, 99+ % of it is inspired, but as to total inerrancy, the reservations I have are to do with the 'lying pen of the scribes' as referred in scripture. Two examples come to mind, one being an eye for an eye, etc.- this came from the Babylonian code of the Hasmodeans (or whatever they were called), hence why Jesus said "you have heard it said....", and not 'it is written'. Also, I have a feeling I read once that 'praying for civil authorities' was added into scripture, due to the down slide that things took after politics entered the faith, ref: Constantine. Totally agree however that the Spirit of Jesus Christ is necessary to see the law and its prophetic fulfilment, etc., but if we are going to be sticklers over the dots and tittles, as the people of the book (Jews) were/ are, we need to discern where the errors in word and-or spirit may be. Again, its not good either letting that be a veil - we must use the written word also, and dig deep into Jesus, and abide in him, as I've been reminded of through this forum recently.
You surprised me here

The eye for an eye in the OT versus the NT is as Paul says, first the natural (flesh) and then the spiritual (heavenly knowledge for navigating within a evil world as well as our personal wilderness crossing where the law is for guiding us in the right direction so we may enter in the promise during this life rather than have to wait until after we die because we could not die to the flesh in this life.)

The OT kills the flesh but in the NT through following the spirit, we mortify the deeds of the flesh! For example as we recently exchanged words concerning blessings and cursing. In the OT you blessed who blessed you and cursed who cursed you........ however in the NT we are to bless those who curse us praying for them asking they be set free from bondage to their flesh and the will of Satan. For material things God's Law was about proper and fair retribution such as if I accidently kill your ox, me giving you a goat is not just compensation and I must give you an oxen of equal value providing it was an accident. In the case of intentional theft or killing I may have to give you up to 4 oxen for the one that I intentionally killed or stole

For those who would not accept vengeance is of the Lord and would not forgive they could take an eye for an eye they have lost and when time for their judgement be judged accordingly

However, once again just compensation is the law is always the last word. If I owed you an eye I would be expected to provide a servant for life for you to be the eye for you that you have lost. If I could not afford to buy you a servant for life then you got me for your new roommate

IMO one of the easiest ways to help understand the spiritual intent of the OT law is, when there is a comparable situation in the NT see what happens there. For instance in the OT when 3000 were killed in the flesh for false worship of the calf on Pentecost, we see in the NT where 3000 were saved though being slain in the spirit (Adam in them dying and them beginning to live through the Holy Spirit given in the name of Jesus AKA the seed that is Christ.

As long as any Christian thinks God cares about the food they eat as being either lawful or unlawful, or their mixing of materials in the clothes they wear etc etc ad-nausea, they have not even begun to understand what is hidden in the law and why Jesus says those who learn it and teach the truth to others will be called great in the Kingdom of God. Truth is the 613 laws have a totally different meaning when understood spiritually.

Finally, when praying for civil servants, in the KJV this is only so that we have a safe and peaceful environment to worship in. In the other passage when it talks about praying for those in charge, the KJV makes it clear that these leaders are charged with the caring of our souls........... or more plainly put this is the church praying for the clergy that do not lead us astray from the truth in the Word of God as they have done to most of the church. What the other translations have done with this passage does not matter to me

Doug

Old 02-07-2016, 11:17 AM

When you are a law unto yourself, you do not follow the usual rules or traditions of men.

Old 02-07-2016, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
When you are a law unto yourself, you do not follow the usual rules or traditions of men.
In other words, if somebody's a law unto themselves, they do what they believe is right regardless of what is generally accepted as correct.

Old 02-07-2016, 12:15 PM

1,489 posts, read 612,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livelystone View Post
You surprised me here

The eye for an eye in the OT versus the NT is as Paul says, first the natural (flesh) and then the spiritual (heavenly knowledge for navigating within a evil world as well as our personal wilderness crossing where the law is for guiding us in the right direction so we may enter in the promise during this life rather than have to wait until after we die because we could not die to the flesh in this life.)

The OT kills the flesh but in the NT through following the spirit, we mortify the deeds of the flesh! For example as we recently exchanged words concerning blessings and cursing. In the OT you blessed who blessed you and cursed who cursed you........ however in the NT we are to bless those who curse us praying for them asking they be set free from bondage to their flesh and the will of Satan. For material things God's Law was about proper and fair retribution such as if I accidently kill your ox, me giving you a goat is not just compensation and I must give you an oxen of equal value providing it was an accident. In the case of intentional theft or killing I may have to give you up to 4 oxen for the one that I intentionally killed or stole

For those who would not accept vengeance is of the Lord and would not forgive they could take an eye for an eye they have lost and when time for their judgement be judged accordingly

However, once again just compensation is the law is always the last word. If I owed you an eye I would be expected to provide a servant for life for you to be the eye for you that you have lost. If I could not afford to buy you a servant for life then you got me for your new roommate

IMO one of the easiest ways to help understand the spiritual intent of the OT law is, when there is a comparable situation in the NT see what happens there. For instance in the OT when 3000 were killed in the flesh for false worship of the calf on Pentecost, we see in the NT where 3000 were saved though being slain in the spirit (Adam in them dying and them beginning to live through the Holy Spirit given in the name of Jesus AKA the seed that is Christ.

As long as any Christian thinks God cares about the food they eat as being either lawful or unlawful, or their mixing of materials in the clothes they wear etc etc ad-nausea, they have not even begun to understand what is hidden in the law and why Jesus says those who learn it and teach the truth to others will be called great in the Kingdom of God. Truth is the 613 laws have a totally different meaning when understood spiritually.

Finally, when praying for civil servants, in the KJV this is only so that we have a safe and peaceful environment to worship in. In the other passage when it talks about praying for those in charge, the KJV makes it clear that these leaders are charged with the caring of our souls........... or more plainly put this is the church praying for the clergy that do not lead us astray from the truth in the Word of God as they have done to most of the church. What the other translations have done with this passage does not matter to me

Doug
Not a pleasant surprise then. :-)

I understand the Spirit of what you are writing. I think the original pieces I read on this subject included the following link / thread on tent maker. I just have a reservation about calling the Bible the Word of God - that 3 word phrase is used as the final authority on interpretation and application of scripture in most churches every week from the platform, where it is essentially spiritual abuse. It leaves no place for textual critism and reasoning with church authority, which strikes me to be itself largely of flawed patriarchal origin (...I don't do clergy and laity!). I was only reading yesterday, a book, for the first time that mentioned this point that the Bible is not the Word of God per se, but Jesus is - I don't see that as being a coincidence in terms of me having a gander on CD this morning and seeing this thread. (I'm also remembering about Eve too!, so please don't think I've sold myself overnight, lol). Therefore, it leaves the question, just to try and straighten my understanding, do you believe the Bible is inerrant, and on that basis it is the Word of God?
Here's the thread:

Someone help me, please...

Old 02-07-2016, 02:10 PM

37,521 posts, read 25,250,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Amen. They keep thinking the anti-Christ apostate majority will be some time in our future, but it has already taken place. 2000+ years after Christ is about as "latter days" as it gets.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post
About time you made some sense. Did someone hack your account?
This has been a central theme of my views from the beginning.

Old 02-07-2016, 02:45 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,148,555 times
Quote:
Ah, what a wonderful day it will be when everyone feels and directly
experiences the Word of God, Itself...that existed before pen and paper and tongues or breath...the primordial vibration... manifested as light, sound and now can
be experienced in our bodies as the power behind the breath ...in stillness...
in that Secret Place.

So do you believe in Lord Buddha?

Old 02-07-2016, 03:24 PM

15,552 posts, read 7,007,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowdog View Post
So do you believe in Lord Buddha?
What in the world is "Lord Buddha?"

Old 02-07-2016, 04:00 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,148,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
What in the world is "Lord Buddha?"

It's nothing to me. Why do you ask? I mean, you gave her two thumps up!

I know what she was saying, seems you didn't and tossed support behind it anyway. I wonder if Jerwade knows?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or