U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2016, 01:12 PM

3,140 posts, read 1,081,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Yes, the Bible is the written word of God, and God has preserved His word. Regarding the New Testament documents, New Testament textual critics (scholars who study and compare the extant New Testament manuscript copies) state that the New Testament we have today is 99 percent or more faithful to the original autographs.

I'm not certain however to what you refer when you answer your own question pertaining to which Bible does one use by saying, ''the same Bible that God has allowed to become the most commonly read and used Bible of all time.'' But I suspect that you are referring to the King James Bible. If you are a King James only advocate, I will have to disagree with you regarding that particular issue.
The OT was written and rewritten over the course of centuries by far too many hands to count. In the NT seven of the letters from Paul, First Thessalonians, Galatians, First Corinthians, Philippians, Philemon, Second Corinthians, and Romans are widely accepted as genuine. The rest of the books of the NT are generally considered to be either anonymously or pseudepigraphly authored. The declaration that the Bible is "The Word of God" is an act of faith, empty assertion by decree, and nothing more.

"It's true because we say so" is only believable to believers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2016, 01:39 PM

598 posts, read 242,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
The OT was written and rewritten over the course of centuries by far too many hands to count. In the NT seven of the letters from Paul, First Thessalonians, Galatians, First Corinthians, Philippians, Philemon, Second Corinthians, and Romans are widely accepted as genuine. The rest of the books of the NT are generally considered to be either anonymously or pseudepigraphly authored. The declaration that the Bible is "The Word of God" is an act of faith, empty assertion by decree, and nothing more.

"It's true because we say so" is only believable to believers.
For those who worship God in spirit and truth the Bible is their guide. Then, through gaining knowledge of the truth in God's plan for man, and understanding how God teaches us how to determine all truths in the Bible (versus all of the lies said about God and His servants) they can approach God with a pure heart and with supplications for divine responses to their prayers.

In other words from blessings coming from God they become witnesses of signs and wonders done by God also known as miracles, something that those who do not believe in the truth of the Bible do not witness

Old 02-09-2016, 02:07 PM

15,608 posts, read 7,080,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livelystone View Post
For those who worship God in spirit and truth the Bible is their guide.
Interesting that you should say soi: the Bible says Jesus gave us something else for a guide. Do you believe the Bible?

Old 02-09-2016, 02:08 PM

Quote:
For those who worship God in spirit and truth the Bible is their guide. Then, through gaining knowledge of the truth in God's plan for man, and understanding how God teaches us how to determine all truths in the Bible (versus all of the lies said about God and His servants) they can approach God with a pure heart and with supplications for divine responses to their prayers.

In other words from blessings coming from God they become witnesses of signs and wonders done by God also known as miracles, something that those who do not believe in the truth of the Bible do not witness
I understand all of this. That doesn't change the fact that you have simply declared the Bible to be revealed truth in exactly the same way that Muslims have declared the Qur'an to be revealed truth, or Hindu's have declared the Vedas to be revealed truth. The undeniable truth however is that all of these works were written by humans, who then declared them to be divinely inspired. I was simply pointing that out.

Old 02-09-2016, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Interesting that you should say soi: the Bible says Jesus gave us something else for a guide. Do you believe the Bible?
Christ is the spirit that allows a person to understand the Bible

Unfortunately, many have a spirit that is masquerading as Christ in them who is a spirit contrary to Christ and leading them away from the truth.

Old 02-09-2016, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Christ is the spirit that allows a person to understand the Bible

Unfortunately, many have a spirit that is masquerading as Christ in them who is a spirit contrary to Christ and leading them away from the truth.
Through my years of discussions with Christians I have noticed this to be a consistent theme. Although there are a couple of billion people in the word that claim to be Christians, in reality I am told there are very few true Christians in the world. "True" Christians it seems invariably turn out to be whomever I am in a discussion with at that particular moment, and those few others who are fortunate enough to believe exactly as they do.

Old 02-09-2016, 02:42 PM

Quote:
I understand all of this. That doesn't change the fact that you have simply declared the Bible to be revealed truth in exactly the same way that Muslims have declared the Qur'an to be revealed truth, or Hindu's have declared the Vedas to be revealed truth. The undeniable truth however is that all of these works were written by humans, who then declared them to be divinely inspired. I was simply pointing that out.
I spent most of my adult life under the impression that at best the Bible was only partially true. I did not understand what it meant to be divinely inspired until I started to receive my own divine inspirations........ something every christian should be receiving but because the churches have led them away from the truth most do not have "ears that hear nor eyes that see"

That all changed in 2001 when I found out what I had witnessed on the other side after flatlining from a car accident (in 95) was recorded in the Bible nearly 2000 years earlier as the resurrection of the dead where the obvious is you have to die before you can attend.

Then right after 911, I had a vision of Jesus Christ on the cross that did not look anything like all the paintings and pictures of him as a light skinned blue-eyed individual

These two events are a unmovable part of my faith and by the time I had to leave to go give the federal government a couple years of my time, I realized that the Bible was true and that Jesus is real, but unfortunately the churches are clueless. Consequently, during my down time the Bible became my new best friend.

Incidentally, during the Bible service where I had received the vision of Jesus and the Cross while the pastor was closing it in prayer; earlier in the service as he was walking up and down the isle holding his Bible up and saying how it was the only true authority on earth he stopped and turned around and stared right at me making me want to melt and hide under the row of chairs in front of me. Then he turned to the audience and said" I know if I was to have to go to prison for the next three years by the time I got out I would know this book backwards and forwards"

I turned to the couple that had brought me to this service and asked him if they had told him about my situation(because I knew they were friends). They said no they had not so I said well it must've just been a coincidence because I had just been sentenced to 50 months that is considerably longer than three years

However, in a little less than three years I was back home all finished other than my probation time. I shared this testimony because it is evidence of people hearing the truth from God in a form of prophecy that did not come from the Bible

Old 02-09-2016, 02:43 PM

741 posts, read 274,453 times
Quote:
Through my years of discussions with Christians I have noticed this to be a consistent theme. Although there are a couple of billion people in the word that claim to be Christians, in reality I am told there are very few true Christians in the world. "True" Christians it seems invariably turn out to be whomever I am in a discussion with at that particular moment, and those few others who are fortunate enough to believe exactly as they do.
Pretend you worked for a bank. You are given the task to identify all of the counterfeit $100 bills that came into your bank. How would you do it? Would you compare all the bills in your bank hoping you chose the right bills? Or would you request one bill from the US mint that you know is correct and then go compare the bills in your bank?

The Bible is in a way the master $100 bill used to compare all other bills to. So just as if you studied the bill from the US mint to find the counterfeit bills, if you studied the Bible you could identify all the counterfeit religions. Yet if we don't study then we will always ask 'who's the true Christan'.

Old 02-09-2016, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Timothy316 View Post
Pretend you worked for a bank. You are given the task to identify all of the counterfeit $100 bills that came into your bank. How would you do it? Would you compare all the bills in your bank hoping you chose the right bills? Or would you request one bill from the US mint that you know is correct and then go compare the bills in your bank?

The Bible is in a way the master $100 bill used to compare all other bills to. So just as if you studied the bill from the US mint to find the counterfeit bills, if you studied the Bible you could identify all the counterfeit religions. Yet if don't study then you will always ask 'who's the true Christan'.
Excellant

Old 02-09-2016, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Timothy316 View Post

The Bible is in a way the master $100 bill used to compare all other bills to. So just as if you studied the bill from the US mint to find the counterfeit bills, if you studied the Bible you could identify all the counterfeit religions. Yet if we don't study then we will always ask 'who's the true Christan'.
$100 bills are specifically made WITH PHYSICAL INDICATORS, to allow them to be checked for authenticity. If you go to the mint and take possession of an authentic $100 bill it is possible to check all other $100 bills against the authentic $100 bill for authenticity. On the other hand, if "some guy" hands you a $100 bill and tells you that it is authentic, you are simply assuming that the bill you possess is genuine. Unless God personally handed you a Bible and told you face to face that it was His genuine Word, YOU ARE TAKING SOMEONE ELSE'S WORD FOR IT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or