Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 09:04 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
This is actually the reading from the Gospel for today. And what Matthew is saying is, don't make any outward sign that you are praying or fasting just so others will know you are praying and fasting. Don't do it for the recognition. Those are Hippocrates. More concerned about being seen in church, rather being closer to God. The same is true for ashes. Don't come to Mass today to receive ashes if all you want to do is to be seen with ashes on your head. Rather, use the reminder that they represent to prepare yourself for the most holy of days. The day Christ died for our sins. Use the season of lent to cleanse yourself. Try to better yourself.

So just like Matthew preached, those who do not wash their face and look dirty and disheveled during their fast just so that others will know they are fasting, they are fasting for the wrong reason. Same is true for those who get ashes just so others will know they went to church.

Being from the south and being Catholic, I am in a minority. I use today to help spread the Gospel. When people see and ask about it, I am proud to use it as my opportunity to spread the word of God.
The standing debate is always 'wash them off or leave them on.' Using that Gospel reading, I think we are to rub off the ashes upon leaving church.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2016, 10:42 PM

2,167 posts, read 3,132,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
The standing debate is always 'wash them off or leave them on.' Using that Gospel reading, I think we are to rub off the ashes upon leaving church.
You are misunderstanding what Matthew taught us. If we are only leaving the ashes on so that we can be seen by others, or to impress others, or to make us appear special, then yes, we should wipe them away. But if we use them to spread the word of God then leave them for all to see. What is important is what is in our heart, not what is on our head.

Old 02-10-2016, 10:48 PM

5,576 posts, read 6,504,647 times
I did! :-)

Old 02-11-2016, 07:08 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,147,443 times
Quote:
You are misunderstanding what Matthew taught us. If we are only leaving the ashes on so that we can be seen by others, or to impress others, or to make us appear special, then yes, we should wipe them away. But if we use them to spread the word of God then leave them for all to see. What is important is what is in our heart, not what is on our head.
I understand your point, but no. For if you are indeed correct, then fasting is also a way to spread the word of God, chiefly by demonstrating penance and the eschewing of earthly comforts. Yet Christ bids us to not show signs of our discomfort. In that sense, the wearing of ashes is as much a sign of outward piety as anything, rather than communicating the good news of God at work in the world.

Old 02-12-2016, 06:23 AM

1,382 posts, read 767,939 times
Quote:
This is actually the reading from the Gospel for today. And what Matthew is saying is, don't make any outward sign that you are praying or fasting just so others will know you are praying and fasting. Don't do it for the recognition. Those are Hippocrates. More concerned about being seen in church, rather being closer to God. The same is true for ashes. Don't come to Mass today to receive ashes if all you want to do is to be seen with ashes on your head. Rather, use the reminder that they represent to prepare yourself for the most holy of days. The day Christ died for our sins. Use the season of lent to cleanse yourself. Try to better yourself.

So just like Matthew preached, those who do not wash their face and look dirty and disheveled during their fast just so that others will know they are fasting, they are fasting for the wrong reason. Same is true for those who get ashes just so others will know they went to church.

Being from the south and being Catholic, I am in a minority. I use today to help spread the Gospel. When people see and ask about it, I am proud to use it as my opportunity to spread the word of God.

Dear I 4,
Actually, those with a cross shaped ash are wearing a mark of the beast on your forehead. Constantine, the beast with two horns like a lamb, which are the false prophet Paul, and the "worthless shepherd" Peter (Zech 14:16-17), was the Roman emperor who had the vision of the cross, at the battle of Milvian bridge. He was told by his god, Sol Invictus, to go out and conquer under that sign. You may have read the rewritten fable by Eusbeius, which is a fabrication. Constantine minted a coin the next year with the image of Sol Invictus, and later in 321 AD, wrote a decree, making Sol Invicutus day, the day of the sun, the day of rest, instead of the Sabbath. No one could buy or sell on that day (Rev 13:17), nor could government offices be open. "All those who dwell on the earth" have been deceived and they all close up their government shops on Sunday, and most have Sunday as a non work day, where most places you are restricted from buying or selling liquor. You are not spreading the "Word of God", you are spreading the command of Sol Invictus, who is the dragon, who gives his authority to the beast. Constantine was the guy who instituted the Roman church as his convened Council of Nicaea in 325 AD.

Old 02-12-2016, 07:25 AM

2,167 posts, read 3,132,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndpillar View Post
Dear I 4,
Actually, those with a cross shaped ash are wearing a mark of the beast on your forehead. Constantine, the beast with two horns like a lamb, which are the false prophet Paul, and the "worthless shepherd" Peter (Zech 14:16-17), was the Roman emperor who had the vision of the cross, at the battle of Milvian bridge. He was told by his god, Sol Invictus, to go out and conquer under that sign. You may have read the rewritten fable by Eusbeius, which is a fabrication. Constantine minted a coin the next year with the image of Sol Invictus, and later in 321 AD, wrote a decree, making Sol Invicutus day, the day of the sun, the day of rest, instead of the Sabbath. No one could buy or sell on that day (Rev 13:17), nor could government offices be open. "All those who dwell on the earth" have been deceived and they all close up their government shops on Sunday, and most have Sunday as a non work day, where most places you are restricted from buying or selling liquor. You are not spreading the "Word of God", you are spreading the command of Sol Invictus, who is the dragon, who gives his authority to the beast. Constantine was the guy who instituted the Roman church as his convened Council of Nicaea in 325 AD.
Yeah! I know. We Catholics are the devil. And we mark ourselves so that everyone can see!

Boooogy Wooooogy Woooogy!!!!!!!!

Old 02-12-2016, 07:58 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Yeah! I know. We Catholics are the devil. And we mark ourselves so that everyone can see!

We Episcopalians are even more devilly than the Catholics! We reduce the Pope to Bishop of Rome, ordain women, and claim that God made gay people as they are, too.

We put those ashes on our heads so you can cross the street when you see us coming.

Old 02-12-2016, 09:11 AM

1,382 posts, read 767,939 times
Quote:

Dear I 4,
You give yourself too much credit. The Catholics, and their Protestant daughters, are simply part of "those who dwell on the earth" that are deceived. (Rev 13:14) The Catholics and the Protestants, and everyone else who keeps the commandments of the beast (Dt 6:1-8 & Dt 6:17) are all marked, but the Catholics go the extra mile and makes sure everyone knows about it. Those that actually keep the commandments of God, are also marked "as a sign on your hand and they shall be as frontals on your forehead". But it isn't with the sign of the gospel of the false prophet Paul's gospel of the cross.

Deuteronomy 6:8 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
You shall bind them as a sign on your hand and they shall be ason your forehead.

Deuteronomy 6:17 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
You should diligently keep the commandments of the Lord your God, and His testimonies and His statutes which He has commanded you.

Old 02-12-2016, 10:50 AM

4,217 posts, read 2,784,908 times
"By your words you'll be justified and by your words you'll be condemned."

Old 02-12-2016, 07:34 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,533,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndpillar View Post
Dear I 4,
You give yourself too much credit. The Catholics, and their Protestant daughters, are simply part of "those who dwell on the earth" that are deceived. (Rev 13:14) The Catholics and the Protestants, and everyone else who keeps the commandments of the beast (Dt 6:1-8 & Dt 6:17) are all marked, but the Catholics go the extra mile and makes sure everyone knows about it. Those that actually keep the commandments of God, are also marked "as a sign on your hand and they shall be as frontals on your forehead". But it isn't with the sign of the gospel of the false prophet Paul's gospel of the cross.

Deuteronomy 6:8 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
You shall bind them as a sign on your hand and they shall be ason your forehead.

Deuteronomy 6:17 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
You should diligently keep the commandments of the Lord your God, and His testimonies and His statutes which He has commanded you.
Cue Twilight Zone music.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity