U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-08-2008, 03:43 PM
 
479 posts, read 758,729 times
Reputation: 106

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
The problem is sometimes we proudly think our personal opinion is Truth!
Yup that too. That's why we need to go by the Word. Sometimes it's difficult to tell who's trying to truthfully represent the Word though. That's when discernment and study is needed, so we can find out what is really meant from the scriptures.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-08-2008, 03:49 PM
 
Location: Indiana
1,250 posts, read 2,376,074 times
Reputation: 751
I think a lot of this boils down to being PC all of the time. It has gotten to a point when it isn't PC for us to even state a belief. We are immediately labled as being intollerant. I don't understand this.

For example:

I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. I do not believe that Muhammad was a prophet of God. This is not being intollerant, it is being honest. If I believed that Muhammand was a prophet, I would be Muslim, not Christian.

Now, if I was to rant and rave spewing hate-filled words about Muslims, that would be intollerant.

I believe we can have conversations with those of other faiths. We can do so civilly and honestly. Obviously we will view things differently. I think that in these conversations and relationships, if something is brought to the table that is explicitly against the Word of God, then we need to take a stand. Taking a stand does not equal making a scene, it only means that we explain why we will not engage in certain behavior/attitude. Do so with respect, not demeaning the other person because they have no qualms regarding the topic at hand. Simply explain youself and move on. They should respect you for it. It is far better than claiming to be a Christian yet living just like everyone else. It is no wonder that the world sees us all as hypocrites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2008, 03:50 PM
 
3,086 posts, read 4,076,455 times
Reputation: 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleton View Post
trying to truthfully represent the Word
That statement caught my eye... hmmmm..

I guess that has to do with how much we ourselves are submitted to God, doesn't it? If I'm at odds with God in some way, it will probably reflect in my message.. because the truth would hurt me too.

"Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks..."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2008, 03:52 PM
 
479 posts, read 758,729 times
Reputation: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by dojilynn View Post
I think a lot of this boils down to being PC all of the time. It has gotten to a point when it isn't PC for us to even state a belief. We are immediately labled as being intollerant. I don't understand this.

For example:

I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. I do not believe that Muhammad was a prophet of God. This is not being intollerant, it is being honest. If I believed that Muhammand was a prophet, I would be Muslim, not Christian.

Now, if I was to rant and rave spewing hate-filled words about Muslims, that would be intollerant.

I believe we can have conversations with those of other faiths. We can do so civilly and honestly. Obviously we will view things differently. I think that in these conversations and relationships, if something is brought to the table that is explicitly against the Word of God, then we need to take a stand. Taking a stand does not equal making a scene, it only means that we explain why we will not engage in certain behavior/attitude. Do so with respect, not demeaning the other person because they have no qualms regarding the topic at hand. Simply explain youself and move on. They should respect you for it. It is far better than claiming to be a Christian yet living just like everyone else. It is no wonder that the world sees us all as hypocrites.
Agree for the most part. Sometimes we might have to make a spectacle of ourselves though, or we will be made a spectacle of when professing Truth. So long as God is leading us to do so, there's nothing to worry about. Gotta not be timid about expressing the Truth, as Christ didn't give us a spirit of timidity - but one of power.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2008, 03:56 PM
 
479 posts, read 758,729 times
Reputation: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by cg81 View Post
That statement caught my eye... hmmmm..

I guess that has to do with how much we ourselves are submitted to God, doesn't it? If I'm at odds with God in some way, it will probably reflect in my message.. because the truth would hurt me too.

"Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks..."
Yup. That's why everything must be "Thy will be done." and we must pray that God helps us mean it too.

Stephen

Edit: You know there are some things that would come out of my mouth which could often times be damning to myself in my own walk. As my Love for Truth goes, I just speak what comes from the heart - God's Word despite what it says about me. Blessed are those who don't take offense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2008, 03:58 PM
 
Location: Indiana
1,250 posts, read 2,376,074 times
Reputation: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleton View Post
Agree for the most part. Sometime we might have to make a spectacle of ourselves though, or we will be made a spectacle of when professing Truth. So long as God is leading us to do so, there's nothing to worry about. Gotta not be timid about expressing the Truth, as Christ didn't give us a spirit of timidity - but one of power.
I didn't mean to imply that I would be timid about taking my stand. We can be firm about our position, yet convey it with gentleness. What I meant in my earlier post, was that we shouldn't make the other person a public spectacle because their views don't perfectly align with ours. (I am thinking of religious differences here in a one-on-one relationship.)

However, if it is something more wide-spread, like our freedom to worship or something like that, a more public scene is required to make our voice heard. In this case, I would not hesitate or show timidity at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2008, 04:01 PM
 
479 posts, read 758,729 times
Reputation: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by dojilynn View Post
I didn't mean to imply that I would be timid about taking my stand. We can be firm about our position, yet convey it with gentleness. What I meant in my earlier post, was that we shouldn't make the other person a public spectacle because their views don't perfectly align with ours. (I am thinking of religious differences here in a one-on-one relationship.)

However, if it is something more wide-spread, like our freedom to worship or something like that, a more public scene is required to make our voice heard. In this case, I would not hesitate or show timidity at all.
I see what you're saying. I'm just stating to not worry about presentation, and let God take the lead. If you let him take the lead, it will always be done out of gentleness and Love, despite whether or not others view it to be that way.

In Christ,

Stephen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2008, 04:02 PM
 
3,086 posts, read 4,076,455 times
Reputation: 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by dojilynn View Post
I think a lot of this boils down to being PC all of the time. It has gotten to a point when it isn't PC for us to even state a belief. We are immediately labled as being intollerant. I don't understand this.

For example:

I believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God. I do not believe that Muhammad was a prophet of God. This is not being intollerant, it is being honest. If I believed that Muhammand was a prophet, I would be Muslim, not Christian.

Now, if I was to rant and rave spewing hate-filled words about Muslims, that would be intollerant.

I believe we can have conversations with those of other faiths. We can do so civilly and honestly. Obviously we will view things differently. I think that in these conversations and relationships, if something is brought to the table that is explicitly against the Word of God, then we need to take a stand. Taking a stand does not equal making a scene, it only means that we explain why we will not engage in certain behavior/attitude. Do so with respect, not demeaning the other person because they have no qualms regarding the topic at hand. Simply explain youself and move on. They should respect you for it. It is far better than claiming to be a Christian yet living just like everyone else. It is no wonder that the world sees us all as hypocrites.
Great post, dojilynn!

Regarding your point about things being too PC, I agree. Logic seems to have flown out the window many times, to the point that even to say "I believe this and don't believe that" is labeled intolerant, as you stated. If I am a Christian, it should be only logical that I won't be following Muhammed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2008, 04:04 PM
 
3,086 posts, read 4,076,455 times
Reputation: 956
Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleton View Post
Edit: You know there are some things that would come out of my mouth which could often times be damning to myself in my own walk.
I hear ya!

(talking about myself!)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2008, 04:31 PM
 
224 posts, read 270,605 times
Reputation: 47
Joh 2:13 And the Jews' passover was at hand, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem,
Joh 2:14 And found in the temple those that sold oxen and sheep and doves, and the changers of money sitting:
Joh 2:15 And when he had made a scourge of small cords, he drove them all out of the temple, and the sheep, and the oxen; and poured out the changers' money, and overthrew the tables;
Joh 2:16 And said unto them that sold doves, Take these things hence; make not my Father's house a house of merchandise.
Joh 2:17 And his disciples remembered that it was written, The zeal of thine house hath eaten me up.

seems a little intolerant
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:20 AM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top