Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 08:32 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
...what do you base diverting from traditional belief on?
First, as a younger person reading other sources...opening my eyes to other interpretations
of scripture. What an eye opener!
Then, direct experience of The Divine...seeing, "Oh, so much is not true ..what people think!!He is nothing but LOVE!"
Nothing but love.

(So the traditional idea of 'sin', rituals, rules, dogma is thrown out the window, in other words)

Very good idea for a question, wallflash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 08:36 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,363,451 times
Quote:
I have no clue what you are referring to .
I specifically listed those churches as the traditional ones I was looking for deviation from.

OH! Lol, I see it now...I also read it as if you were saying RCC and EO were the ones that were
non-traditional.
and I was an Eng major...makes me laugh! Thank you for clarifying.

Old 02-23-2016, 08:44 AM

4,851 posts, read 2,282,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I am not sure what you are looking for... you are looking to see Christianity without looking at the majority of people who are Christian? What traditions do you speak of?

I am non-denominational. I just follow Him. At some point, we should at least start to resemble how He lived His life.

There was a guy who identifies as a Christian in another thread that made the claim that the Christian church as it exists today ( all sects) have become apostate and left the original teachings of Jesus . This guy is basically a Christian pantheist , so it simply spurred my interest as to whether a worldwide site for Christianity has many types that follow their own road, so to speak, and if so what they believed and why.

No hidden agenda for attacks or arguments .

Old 02-23-2016, 09:22 AM

45,542 posts, read 27,152,040 times
Quote:
There was a guy who identifies as a Christian in another thread that made the claim that the Christian church as it exists today ( all sects) have become apostate and left the original teachings of Jesus . This guy is basically a Christian pantheist , so it simply spurred my interest as to whether a worldwide site for Christianity has many types that follow their own road, so to speak, and if so what they believed and why.

No hidden agenda for attacks or arguments .
I assume you have no hidden agenda.

The target and goal for Christians is Christ. We should be relating to Him daily. We should be reading His word daily. We should strive to parallel Him.

While the goal is the same, the paths of individuals may be different. We all have different life experiences. We are made differently to respond to different things. 1 Corinthians 12 is good on this. The goal is Christ, but people have different gifts for different purposes.

Our roads may be different, but we don't pave them. We should submit to the road God has for us - which is unique for every person. We should not make our own roads.

Old 02-23-2016, 09:27 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Yes. Without faith in the redemptive work of Christ, there is no Christianity.
Why not? Actually since it is called CHRISTianity, without CHRIST it would not exist?

Old 02-23-2016, 12:31 PM

40 posts, read 25,859 times
Many people think that a human being is created at the time of conception but this belief is not supported by the bible.
Quote:
The fact that a living sperm penetrates a living ovum resulting in the formation of a living fetus does not mean that the fetus is a living human being. According to the bible, a fetus is not a living person with a soul until after drawing its first breath.

After God formed man in Genesis 2:7, He “breathed into his nostrils the breath of life and it was then that the man became a living being”. Although the man was fully formed by God in all respects, he was not a living being until after taking his first breath.

In Job 33:4, it states: “The spirit of God has made me, and the breath of the Almighty gives me life.”
This is almost amusing in that it's usually the fundamentalist elements that get so tripped up their insistence in a literal reading of the Bible. The "breath of life" is a metaphor, not literal breath. Why would (and how could) God, who is Spirit, breath actual air? Answer: He doesn't. Breath is a metaphor for what is doctrinally called one's immaterial principle of animation. This principle is traditionally understood to produce intellectual operation as opposed to non-abstractive intelligence of the higher animals. Strange how pro-abortion advocates revert to a literal reading of the Bible to support their activities. The passages quoted have nothing substantive to say about when a fetus gains its humanity.

Old 02-23-2016, 12:43 PM

20,438 posts, read 12,775,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anomaly75 View Post
Many people think that a human being is created at the time of conception but this belief is not supported by the bible.
This is almost amusing in that it's usually the fundamentalist elements that get so tripped up their insistence in a literal reading of the Bible. The "breath of life" is a metaphor, not literal breath. Why would (and how could) God, who is Spirit, breath actual air? Answer: He doesn't. Breath is a metaphor for what is doctrinally called one's immaterial principle of animation. This principle is traditionally understood to produce intellectual operation as opposed to non-abstractive intelligence of the higher animals. Strange how pro-abortion advocates revert to a literal reading of the Bible to support their activities. The passages quoted have nothing substantive to say about when a fetus gains its humanity.
Agreed, and of course, there's this:

Psalm 139

13 For You formed my inward parts; You wove me together in my mother’s womb. 14 I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.

Old 02-23-2016, 01:56 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Agreed, and of course, there's this:

Psalm 139

13 For You formed my inward parts; You wove me together in my mother’s womb. 14 I will give thanks to You, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
Then god-in-da-tiny-box-of-insecurities provides an abortion drink?

The Test for an Unfaithful Wife

11 Then the Lord said to Moses,
12 “Speak to the Israelites and say to them: ‘If a man’s wife goes astray and is unfaithful to him
13 so that another man has sexual relations with her, and this is hidden from her husband and her impurity is undetected (since there is no witness against her and she has not been caught in the act),
14 and if feelings of jealousy come over her husband and he suspects his wife and she is impure—or if he is jealous and suspects her even though she is not impure—
15 then he is to take his wife to the priest. He must also take an offering of a tenth of an ephah[a] of barley flour on her behalf. He must not pour olive oil on it or put incense on it, because it is a grain offering for jealousy, a reminder-offering to draw attention to wrongdoing.

16 “‘The priest shall bring her and have her stand before the Lord.
17 Then he shall take some holy water in a clay jar and put some dust from the tabernacle floor into the water.
18 After the priest has had the woman stand before the Lord, he shall loosen her hair and place in her hands the reminder-offering, the grain offering for jealousy, while he himself holds the bitter water that brings a curse.
19 Then the priest shall put the woman under oath and say to her, “If no other man has had sexual relations with you and you have not gone astray and become impure while married to your husband, may this bitter water that brings a curse not harm you.
20 But if you have gone astray while married to your husband and you have made yourself impure by having sexual relations with a man other than your husband”—
21 here the priest is to put the woman under this curse—“may the Lord cause you to become a curse among your people when he makes your womb miscarry and your abdomen swell.
22 May this water that brings a curse enter your body so that your abdomen swells or your womb miscarries.”

“‘Then the woman is to say, “Amen. So be it.”

23 “‘The priest is to write these curses on a scroll and then wash them off into the bitter water.
24 He shall make the woman drink the bitter water that brings a curse, and this water that brings a curse and causes bitter suffering will enter her.
25 The priest is to take from her hands the grain offering for jealousy, wave it before the Lord and bring it to the altar.
26 The priest is then to take a handful of the grain offering as a memorial[c] offering and burn it on the altar; after that, he is to have the woman drink the water.
27 If she has made herself impure and been unfaithful to her husband, this will be the result: When she is made to drink the water that brings a curse and causes bitter suffering, it will enter her, her abdomen will swell and her womb will miscarry, and she will become a curse.
28 If, however, the woman has not made herself impure, but is clean, she will be cleared of guilt and will be able to have children.

29 “‘This, then, is the law of jealousy when a woman goes astray and makes herself impure while married to her husband,
30 or when feelings of jealousy come over a man because he suspects his wife. The priest is to have her stand before the Lord and is to apply this entire law to her.
31 The husband will be innocent of any wrongdoing, but the woman will bear the consequences of her sin.’”

Old 02-26-2016, 08:59 PM

28,956 posts, read 16,344,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
Life through that which we experience.

Quote:
Could you explain a little more ? Do you have set beliefs?
A belief about any afterlife or not ? What do you base it all on?

That sort of stuff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerwade View Post
View my public profile, and consider that nothing truly ever dies.
I will be back next week, preparing to leave town right now.

But will leave you with this:

"People will believe, what they believe; until, they no longer believe it."
My beliefs have evolved from what I have experienced, not from what others say I must believe.
There is nothing wrong with fantasizing, but it should be about something healthy - not destructive.
A good foundation would be that which is loving, kind and merciful to one's self; and others.

I find the Spirit of Life to be the best teacher.

Old 02-26-2016, 09:06 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,934,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
OH! Lol, I see it now...I also read it as if you were saying RCC and EO were the ones that were
non-traditional.
and I was an Eng major...makes me laugh! Thank you for clarifying.
I made the same mistake, except that I couldn't figure out why RCC and EO were categorized in the same group as Mormons and JWs. (And that explains my answer that I shouldn't have even posted.) I was an English major, too, by the way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity