U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 02-21-2016, 05:20 PM
 
8,559 posts, read 11,882,943 times
Reputation: 3119

Advertisements

Mark 24 describes how Peter, James and John were with Jesus when he was arrested. All three were with Jesus. Peter denied Jesus, as Jesus foretold. But it doesn't say what James and John did. Assuming that they didn't deny him, were they arrested and crucified for treason?

'James and John, the two sons of Zebedee, came up to Jesus, saying, “Teacher, we want You to do for us whatever we ask of You.” And He said to them, “What do you want Me to do for you?” They said to Him, “Grant that we may sit, one on Your right and one on Your left, in Your glory.”'
(Mark 10)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-21-2016, 08:03 PM
 
Location: Gulf Coast Texas
26,222 posts, read 14,105,516 times
Reputation: 10096
They all left Him.

Obviously John was not crucified being that He wrote 5 books of the Bible later in his life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2016, 03:16 AM
 
7,859 posts, read 6,668,091 times
Reputation: 1371
They say Peter was crucified upside down by the barbarians Romans ..... James and John were put down by Jesus , as Jesus took it like they wanted to be one with Jesus and then the trinity would have fives heads which Jesus said that would not happen ...... so Jesus said to them ``you will drink the cup I drink and be baptised with the baptism I am baptised with ``.....meaning James and John sons of Zebedee can get their righteousness of Jesus Christ , and never by their own righteousness
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2016, 04:26 AM
 
8,559 posts, read 11,882,943 times
Reputation: 3119
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
They say Peter was crucified upside down by the barbarians Romans ..... James and John were put down by Jesus , as Jesus took it like they wanted to be one with Jesus and then the trinity would have fives heads which Jesus said that would not happen ...... so Jesus said to them ``you will drink the cup I drink and be baptised with the baptism I am baptised with ``.....meaning James and John sons of Zebedee can get their righteousness of Jesus Christ , and never by their own righteousness
So in other words, your belief in the Trinity negates it. Even though the Trinity has no biblical basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2016, 04:38 AM
 
8,559 posts, read 11,882,943 times
Reputation: 3119
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
They all left Him.

Obviously John was not crucified being that He wrote 5 books of the Bible later in his life.
Even though John was a common name, there was only one in the early Christian community if we want to make Christian doctrine work. So he couldn't have been crucified. Hmm, good point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2016, 06:12 AM
 
Location: Gulf Coast Texas
26,222 posts, read 14,105,516 times
Reputation: 10096
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Even though John was a common name, there was only one in the early Christian community if we want to make Christian doctrine work. So he couldn't have been crucified. Hmm, good point.

Why do you even bother asking questions if you are not interested in the answer?


1 John 1:1-3 - What was from the beginning, what we have heard, what we have seen with our eyes, what we have looked at and touched with our hands, concerning the Word of Life-- 2 and the life was manifested, and we have seen and testify and proclaim to you the eternal life, which was with the Father and was manifested to us-- 3 what we have seen and heard we proclaim to you also, so that you too may have fellowship with us; and indeed our fellowship is with the Father, and with His Son Jesus Christ.

If that's not enough, I can't help you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2016, 07:32 AM
 
Location: Emmaus, PA
3,021 posts, read 2,061,197 times
Reputation: 2154
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Mark 24 describes how Peter, James and John were with Jesus when he was arrested. All three were with Jesus. Peter denied Jesus, as Jesus foretold. But it doesn't say what James and John did. Assuming that they didn't deny him, were they arrested and crucified for treason?

'James and John, the two sons of Zebedee, came up to Jesus, saying, “Teacher, we want You to do for us whatever we ask of You.” And He said to them, “What do you want Me to do for you?” They said to Him, “Grant that we may sit, one on Your right and one on Your left, in Your glory.”'
(Mark 10)
Let's see. Jesus was crucified along with 2 criminals. One of them repented of his sins while on the cross, while the other one, apparently didn't.
Your assertion that John and James were crucified is nothing more than sheer and utter Biblical nonsense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2016, 08:46 AM
 
20,299 posts, read 15,651,035 times
Reputation: 7414
Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
Mark 24 describes how Peter, James and John were with Jesus when he was arrested. All three were with Jesus. Peter denied Jesus, as Jesus foretold. But it doesn't say what James and John did. Assuming that they didn't deny him, were they arrested and crucified for treason?

'James and John, the two sons of Zebedee, came up to Jesus, saying, “Teacher, we want You to do for us whatever we ask of You.” And He said to them, “What do you want Me to do for you?” They said to Him, “Grant that we may sit, one on Your right and one on Your left, in Your glory.”'
(Mark 10)
Were James and John crucified with Christ? Yes (though not in the way that you're asking about) and no.

No, because as Luke states, James the brother of John was arrested and put to death by the sword by order of King Herod long after Jesus had been crucified (Acts 12:2).

And John died of old age in Ephesus sometime around the year A.D 100.

Yes, because on the other hand, every believer has been crucified with Christ, having been identified with Him in His death by means of the baptism of the Holy Spirit (Gal. 2:20; Rom. 6:3).


The two men who are mentioned as having been crucified with Jesus were robbers - λῃσταί - lēstai. (Matthew 27:38).
HELPS Word-studies

3027 lēstḗs – a thief ("robber"), stealing out in the open (typically with violence). 3027 /lēstḗs ("a bandit, briard") is a thief who also plunders and pillages – an unscrupulous marauder (malefactor), exploiting the vulnerable without hesitating to use violence.

Strong's Greek: 3027. ?????? (léstés) -- a robber
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2016, 09:26 AM
 
Location: Gulf Coast Texas
26,222 posts, read 14,105,516 times
Reputation: 10096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
Were James and John crucified with Christ? Yes (though not in the way that you're asking about) and no.

No, because as Luke states, James the brother of John was arrested and put to death by the sword by order of King Herod long after Jesus had been crucified (Acts 12:2).

And John died of old age in Ephesus sometime around the year A.D 100.

Yes, because on the other hand, every believer has been crucified with Christ, having been identified with Him in His death by means of the baptism of the Holy Spirit (Gal. 2:20; Rom. 6:3).


The two men who are mentioned as having been crucified with Jesus were robbers - λῃσταί - lēstai. (Matthew 27:38).
HELPS Word-studies

3027 lēstḗs – a thief ("robber"), stealing out in the open (typically with violence). 3027 /lēstḗs ("a bandit, briard") is a thief who also plunders and pillages – an unscrupulous marauder (malefactor), exploiting the vulnerable without hesitating to use violence.

Strong's Greek: 3027. ?????? (léstés) -- a robber
I stand corrected on the spiritual aspect. You are correct. Physically - no. Spiritually - yes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top