U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 07:17 AM

26,214 posts, read 14,100,551 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
What about LGBT people?

Jesus loves you, BUT you have to change your orientation or remain single and lonely for life? Most same-sex attracted Christians will say that God fulfills all our needs and the church offers community and support, but that doesn't replace having another human being to spend your life with, and its also torture to be a part of a community that is so hostile towards LGBT people that you can't even be authentic within it. The 'Side B' gay Christian path is not easy because of the stigma and disgust most Christians have towards the LGBT community.

That's a huge cost and the good news isn't really good news at all.
The OP applies for all people.

God can make a way of escape from sinful behavior... if people would fully trust Him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2016, 09:21 AM

58,493 posts, read 31,880,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
The OP applies for all people.

God can make a way of escape from sinful behavior... if people would fully trust Him.
Yes, look at what Paul was before God changed him. Or Nicky Cruz, a violent gangster, who became a preacher.

Old 02-23-2016, 10:35 PM

37,508 posts, read 25,238,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
No, your good works can't "save" you, and you can be "saved" without them -- as long as your definition of "saved" means avoiding eternal damnation. Personally, I'm not interested in settling for "saved." I believe that Jesus Christ's Atonement will justify me in God's eyes, but it will not sanctify me. Sanctification, unlike justification, requires that I not only talk the talk, but walk the walk.

Old 02-24-2016, 06:59 AM

Quote:
I believe that Jesus Christ's Atonement will justify me in God's eyes, but it will not sanctify me. Sanctification, unlike justification, requires that I not only talk the talk, but walk the walk.
Talking = Walking. People who preach the Gospel are walking the walk. Of course preaching not the only way to 'walk'. Jesus talked a lot. He also healed, as he had the power to do so. I would heal all day long if I could, but I can't. Jesus did not tithe, as he had no income, and he also visited the temple only on occasion.

Old 02-24-2016, 07:30 AM

3,020 posts, read 2,060,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Talking = Walking. People who preach the Gospel are walking the walk. Of course preaching not the only way to 'walk'. Jesus talked a lot. He also healed, as he had the power to do so. I would heal all day long if I could, but I can't. Jesus did not tithe, as he had no income, and he also visited the temple only on occasion.
Joseph was a carpenter. His son, Jesus, followed in his father's footsteps and also became a carpenter. Of course, He received an income, which helped the family to buy groceries and other goods.

Old 02-24-2016, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
Joseph was a carpenter. His son, Jesus, followed in his father's footsteps and also became a carpenter. Of course, He received an income, which helped the family to buy groceries and other goods.
He didn't do much carpentry after his baptism.

Old 02-24-2016, 10:33 AM

21,275 posts, read 20,878,318 times
Quote:
Talking = Walking. People who preach the Gospel are walking the walk.
Not if their lives don't reflect their teachings. When someone preaches against adultery and is an adulterer, he is not walking the walk. When someone preaches forgiveness and yet holds grudges and bitterness himself, he is not walking the walk. Anyone can claim to follow Christ, but not all of those who claim to really keep His commandments.

Old 02-24-2016, 05:31 PM

8,587 posts, read 5,117,096 times
Quote:
Not if their lives don't reflect their teachings. When someone preaches against adultery and is an adulterer, he is not walking the walk. When someone preaches forgiveness and yet holds grudges and bitterness himself, he is not walking the walk. Anyone can claim to follow Christ, but not all of those who claim to really keep His commandments.
Yep, having Christ in your heart isn't about how much you talk, but about how much you do. That's why I love that Mormon Song, Have I Done Any Good in this World Today.

Old 02-25-2016, 05:58 AM

Quote:
And you can claim to be 'walking the walk' by tithing $10 000 a year, and at the same time you are an adulterer.

Same argument applies to everything. You could preach, tithe, visit hospitals, help the poor etc and STILL be an adulterer. I don't know why some people single out evangelizing as one act which somehow does not please God. Jesus was the greatest evangelist ever, and He told his followers to spread the word.

My point was that talking is one way serving, no better or worse than other ways. The Bible teaches we can serve according to our gifts. Some people dedicate most of their time to spreading the Gospel, because that is what they are good at.

Some people argue talking is not "doing", but does that make sense to you? Of course talking is doing, and evangelizing/preaching is only one way to talk. Talk can also be used to comfort people, to teach them how to deal with issues, teach how to be better persons etc.

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 02-25-2016 at 06:49 AM..

Old 02-25-2016, 09:39 AM

21,275 posts, read 20,878,318 times
Quote:
And you can claim to be 'walking the walk' by tithing $10 000 a year, and at the same time you are an adulterer.
You can claim anything you want to be, but that doesn't make it so. All I'm saying is that we have a responsibility to practice what we preach. Surely you wouldn't disagree with that.

Quote:
My point was that talking is one way serving, no better or worse than other ways. The Bible teaches we can serve according to our gifts. Some people dedicate most of their time to spreading the Gospel, because that is what they are good at.
I'm really not sure why you're so intent on proving me wrong. Of course we all have gifts, and we should use them in service to God and our fellow men. I have never implied otherwise.

Quote:
Some people argue talking is not "doing", but does that make sense to you? Of course talking is doing, and evangelizing/preaching is only one way to talk. Talk can also be used to comfort people, to teach them how to deal with issues, teach how to be better persons etc.
Yes, talking is doing. Your actions just shouldn't contradict your words. If you use your gift of conversation to help someone how to "deal with issues" and then you go get drunk to deal with yours, you've got a problem. What's there to argue about?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or