U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2016, 06:26 AM

15,134 posts, read 8,222,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
It about the man loving his wife like Christ love the church, more than a women submitting to a bully.
Yes!

Old 03-06-2016, 08:17 AM

23,260 posts, read 12,050,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
No it is not.It is about weak men wanting to control their wives using the authority of God. No one gets any authority from God to assert over anyone else, period. We are all equal in God's eyes. It is a human fiction created during a time when women were mere chattel that has no place in a modern civil society.
Yes.

Truly strong men have no need of being "the boss" or the ridiculous, "spiritual head" (barf) in a relationship.

But weak men just love the concept.

Old 03-06-2016, 04:39 PM

8,652 posts, read 4,783,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Yes.

Truly strong men have no need of being "the boss" or the ridiculous, "spiritual head" (barf) in a relationship.

But weak men just love the concept.
I like what the Mr. has to say on this topic. Bearing in mind that he's a manly man from culture that espouses machismo and "traditional" gender roles, he likes to say "I'd be broke and living above a bowling alley if I was leader and you were submissive. I'm just the eye candy." It's not that I'm the dominant of the two (we're both actually rather passive), but he's big on egalitarian relationships, and respects that in some areas I am the better decision-maker.

Old 03-06-2016, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
I like what the Mr. has to say on this topic. Bearing in mind that he's a manly man from culture that espouses machismo and "traditional" gender roles, he likes to say "I'd be broke and living above a bowling alley if I was leader and you were submissive. I'm just the eye candy." It's not that I'm the dominant of the two (we're both actually rather passive), but he's big on egalitarian relationships, and respects that in some areas I am the better decision-maker.
Your relationship sounds as it should be - shared strengths and buttressed weaknesses. Good for you and hubby.

Last edited by TroutDude; 03-06-2016 at 09:11 PM.. Reason: ETA: Changed God to Good. ;)

Old 03-06-2016, 08:55 PM

1,450 posts, read 801,280 times
How to Help Men Learn their Place
beat them!

Old 03-06-2016, 08:58 PM

1,450 posts, read 801,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwarrior View Post
It about the man loving his wife like Christ love the church, more than a women submitting to a bully.
Love me like a church? It sounds less than appealing

Old 03-06-2016, 09:09 PM

37,476 posts, read 25,217,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
Quote:
Your relationship sounds as it should be - shared strengths and buttressed weaknesses. God for you and hubby.
Amen!! Glad for both of you. That attitude has enabled my wife and I to enjoy some 53 years together.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:45 AM

780 posts, read 295,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
No it is not.It is about weak men wanting to control their wives using the authority of God. No one gets any authority from God to assert over anyone else, period. We are all equal in God's eyes. It is a human fiction created during a time when women were mere chattel that has no place in a modern civil society.
Please quote chapter and verse of the Bible where you believe it says NO ONE has authority over anyone else.

"For a husband is the head of his wife as Christ is the head of the church. He is the Savior of his body, the church." - Eph 5:23

No one has authority over another? What fool would say or even believe such a thing? Delegation of authority is the method by which ALL society functions - in heaven as on earth. Everyone has someone in authority over them and everyone is in authority over someone, even if only themselves. Anyone who says different is lying. Stupidity is not a virtue, dear reader.

Knee jerk reactions to divine order will not serve understanding of God's intent in the relationship between a man and a woman.

Again, it is the man's duty to love his wife. It is the wife's duty to respect and obey her husband.

I've been married to the same woman for forty years and have found this to be as true today as on the first day. Ad hominem attacks by those who have nothing of substance to contribute to the discussion do not clarify the Biblical ordination. Neither do they successfully oppose it.

Love a man shows to his wife does not stop at gifts of flowers, chocolate and sex. Love means that he does all he can to aid and improve his wife's life. It means standing by her if she has an illness, when she is in trouble and it means being with her when she does things a man usually doesn't usually enjoy (shopping, flower shows, etc.). I'll bet a dollar someone will object to my example here, which will prove deliberate intent to subvert God's directions in the matter.

Respect and obedience a woman is supposed to show to her husband is required of God. This does not mean that the man acts like a petty tyrant because if he is acting out of love he does so with the best interests of his wife in mind. It also means the man must act respectably. Running around chasing cheap women or gay boys does not garner respectability and neither does gambling, drinking or wasteful spending of the family resources.

If a man and woman wish to follow the precepts of God, then these are undeniable positions to follow. The man is commanded to love the woman and the woman is commanded to obey. If they cannot do this, then it would be better for the man and woman to stop pretending to be disciples of Christ, leave the communion of the saints and live as they see fit.

As for me and my household, we place God first and seek always to follow His guidance. After forty years we haven't done too badly. I can say with all certainty that God's ways are best.

Of course the reader is free to go his or her own way - even if it leads to hell. One may live life in agreement with the flow of opinion, but one should be reminded that only dead fish swim with the flow.

and that's me, hollering from the choir loft....

Old 03-07-2016, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choir Loft View Post
Please quote chapter and verse of the Bible where you believe it says NO ONE has authority over anyone else.

"For a husband is the head of his wife as Christ is the head of the church. He is the Savior of his body, the church." - Eph 5:23

No one has authority over another? What fool would say or even believe such a thing? Delegation of authority is the method by which ALL society functions - in heaven as on earth. Everyone has someone in authority over them and everyone is in authority over someone, even if only themselves. Anyone who says different is lying. Stupidity is not a virtue, dear reader.

Knee jerk reactions to divine order will not serve understanding of God's intent in the relationship between a man and a woman.

Again, it is the man's duty to love his wife. It is the wife's duty to respect and obey her husband.

I've been married to the same woman for forty years and have found this to be as true today as on the first day. Ad hominem attacks by those who have nothing of substance to contribute to the discussion do not clarify the Biblical ordination. Neither do they successfully oppose it.

Love a man shows to his wife does not stop at gifts of flowers, chocolate and sex. Love means that he does all he can to aid and improve his wife's life. It means standing by her if she has an illness, when she is in trouble and it means being with her when she does things a man usually doesn't usually enjoy (shopping, flower shows, etc.). I'll bet a dollar someone will object to my example here, which will prove deliberate intent to subvert God's directions in the matter.

Respect and obedience a woman is supposed to show to her husband is required of God. This does not mean that the man acts like a petty tyrant because if he is acting out of love he does so with the best interests of his wife in mind. It also means the man must act respectably. Running around chasing cheap women or gay boys does not garner respectability and neither does gambling, drinking or wasteful spending of the family resources.

If a man and woman wish to follow the precepts of God, then these are undeniable positions to follow. The man is commanded to love the woman and the woman is commanded to obey. If they cannot do this, then it would be better for the man and woman to stop pretending to be disciples of Christ, leave the communion of the saints and live as they see fit.

As for me and my household, we place God first and seek always to follow His guidance. After forty years we haven't done too badly. I can say with all certainty that God's ways are best.

Of course the reader is free to go his or her own way - even if it leads to hell. One may live life in agreement with the flow of opinion, but one should be reminded that only dead fish swim with the flow.

and that's me, hollering from the choir loft....
Another prime example of how some dinosaurs - of the spiritual sort - still exist.

Old 03-07-2016, 10:43 AM

15,540 posts, read 6,992,023 times
Quote:
Another prime example of how some dinosaurs - of the spiritual sort - still exist.
Dinosaurs will never catch up with the idea that authority properly comes with knowledge and capability and that authority should NOT come from geneology (kings, etc.) or sex (husbands automatically the last word.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity