U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-28-2016, 03:36 PM
 
285 posts, read 943,056 times
Reputation: 185

Advertisements

@ Katzpur Hey Im still here I see alot of people have alot of opinions. I still think there is an afterlife after this physical life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-28-2016, 03:54 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
21,282 posts, read 20,904,862 times
Reputation: 9964
Quote:
Originally Posted by TySky View Post
@ Katzpur Hey Im still here I see alot of people have alot of opinions. I still think there is an afterlife after this physical life.
Hey, it's nice to see you didn't just disappear on us. If you're reading everybody's responses, that's great. I thought you'd just posted your OP and then split.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2016, 04:18 PM
 
17,785 posts, read 8,896,463 times
Reputation: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by TySky View Post
I still think there is an afterlife, after this physical life.
We can always hope as everything transforms, but never truly dies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2016, 10:01 PM
 
4,592 posts, read 2,273,415 times
Reputation: 340
Quote:
Originally Posted by TySky View Post
I still think there is an afterlife after this physical life.
What Scripture do you have in mind regarding an ' afterlife '

Jesus did Not teach ' afterlife ' but taught future resurrection for the sleeping dead.
- John 11:11-14; Psalms 6:5; 13:3; 115:17; 146:4; Daniel 12:2,13; Ecclesiastes 9:5; Acts 24:15

Doesn't the ' afterlife ' teaching teach that a person is more alive after death than before death ?
So, if that was scriptural then there would be No need for a resurrection because the living need No resurrection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2016, 11:08 PM
 
Location: City-Data Forum
6,930 posts, read 4,307,305 times
Reputation: 1157
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
What Scripture do you have in mind regarding an ' afterlife '

Jesus did Not teach ' afterlife ' but taught future resurrection for the sleeping dead.
- John 11:11-14; Psalms 6:5; 13:3; 115:17; 146:4; Daniel 12:2,13; Ecclesiastes 9:5; Acts 24:15

Doesn't the ' afterlife ' teaching teach that a person is more alive after death than before death ?
So, if that was scriptural then there would be No need for a resurrection because the living need No resurrection.
Again, Jesus also taught that Jacob, Abraham, Moses, etc were still Alive because yahweh wasn't a God of the dead but a God of the living.
Quote:
22:28 Therefore in the resurrection whose wife shall she be of the seven? for they all had her.
22:29 Jesus answered and said unto them, Ye do err, not knowing the scriptures, nor the power of God.
22:30 For in the resurrection they neither marry, nor are given in marriage, but are as the angels of God in heaven.
22:31 But as touching the [subject of] resurrection of the dead, have ye not read that which was spoken unto you by God, saying,
22:32 I am the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2016, 11:16 PM
 
Location: City-Data Forum
6,930 posts, read 4,307,305 times
Reputation: 1157
Quote:
Originally Posted by TySky View Post
@ Katzpur Hey Im still here I see alot of people have alot of opinions. I still think there is an afterlife after this physical life.
The majority of people in almost every society have had the same vague opinion as you in recorded history; religions have tirelessly tried to detail, standardize, and codify such opinions. Some psychologists have suggested that a lot of people live with a genetic/instinctual terror of human life's end and these psychologists have come up with a Terror Management Theory supported by many studies suggesting that people are psychologically biased/primed to believe in immortality for human life, even with the observable death in this one, i.e. they are in majority primed to believe that for their emotional wellbeing there must be good afterlives available.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2016, 11:43 PM
 
1,949 posts, read 1,330,806 times
Reputation: 3059
Quote:
Originally Posted by TySky View Post
Okay I was raised a jehovahs witness they are christians but a different type. When it comes to death they believe what the bible about death how its a state of sleep and that they are conscious of nothing and they believe in the resurrection and to live on paradise earth forever after armageddon. I don't believe in that anymore. What I learned from other Christianity is that when we die we go to heaven or hell after when we die. I



Orthodox Biblical Christianity does not include the belief that evil people go to hell when they die. Nor does it teach that hell is a place of darkness. In the latter regard, you're confusing the Jewish teaching of Sheol or the grave and the NT Lake of Fire. Orthodox Christianity teaches that the Great White Throne judgment occurs AFTER the 1000 year millennial kingdom, when the unsaved dead are resurrected at the second resurrection, judged by God and thrown into the lake of fire if their names are not written in the book of life... per the final chapters of Revelation. It is this lake of fire that is what Christians think of as hell. It was Jesus himself who introduced the teaching of an eternal Lake of Fire for the wicked. The Jews had no such explicit teaching in the OT times. So consequently their theology about hell and the grave and the disposition of the dead is somewhat muddled and uncertain. Jews to this day are not entirely in agreement about what happens to the dead, other than some vague doctines about temporary purification in the afterlife in a place of darkness. A place called Sheol which is similar to the Greek Hades. And nobody really knows what happens to the Uber-evil people like Hitler.


If people go to hell when they die... what is the point of resurrecting them again and throwing them into hell again?


The wicked or unsaved dead are unconscious in the grave until the time of the Great White Throne judgement. They are nowhere. The righteous dead go immediately into the presence of God, as the Bible teaches, enjoying paradise until the time of the first resurrection when they will be resurrected in physically perfect, eternal bodies.


So, if the JWs are teaching this, then they are right about one thing. I'm familiar with a lot of their other teachings... and they're about as messed up as any other denomination is when it comes to adhering to the Bible.


Dump denominationalism. It is the bane of Christianity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-29-2016, 12:34 PM
 
741 posts, read 271,847 times
Reputation: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
Again, Jesus also taught that Jacob, Abraham, Moses, etc were still Alive because yahweh wasn't a God of the dead but a God of the living.
This is true, however Jesus was still referring to the resurrection as a future event in Matthew 22. Luke 20:38 clears this up as saying "for they are all living to him." Meaning they are living from God's point of view but if they were actually living at the time Jesus was on the Earth they wouldn't need to be resurrected.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-29-2016, 02:26 PM
 
Location: Hong Kong
689 posts, read 416,553 times
Reputation: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuminousTruth View Post
The majority of people in almost every society have had the same vague opinion as you in recorded history; religions have tirelessly tried to detail, standardize, and codify such opinions. Some psychologists have suggested that a lot of people live with a genetic/instinctual terror of human life's end and these psychologists have come up with a Terror Management Theory supported by many studies suggesting that people are psychologically biased/primed to believe in immortality for human life, even with the observable death in this one, i.e. they are in majority primed to believe that for their emotional wellbeing there must be good afterlives available.
It's not just about terror, it's more about logic and fact. The fact that no one knows for sure what would happen after death, unless you can claim that you know for sure what would happen (if you claim so, it remains your delusion). So the plain fact is that no one knows for sure what would happen that this leads to 2 major religions.

1) those who believe with faith that nothing serious would happen after death
2) those who believe with faith that something would happen after death


It is actually that 2) makes more sense if one does care his life. It's not about terror, it's more about life caring like how you go across a road of possible traffic. Believing in no car will lead to your accidental death, it does no harm to look around before you decided to go across.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-01-2016, 04:33 AM
 
Location: City-Data Forum
6,930 posts, read 4,307,305 times
Reputation: 1157
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Timothy316 View Post
This is true, however Jesus was still referring to the resurrection as a future event in Matthew 22. Luke 20:38 clears this up as saying "for they are all living to him." Meaning they are living from God's point of view but if they were actually living at the time Jesus was on the Earth they wouldn't need to be resurrected.
So then you are calling God a God of the currently dead, but eventually living again, But a God of the living in his own thoughts only, but really more a God of the currently dead and some living.
Luke is clearing up Matthew? More like Luke 20:37 is clearing up Luke 20:38.
Quote:
20:33 Therefore in the resurrection whose wife of them is she? for seven had her to wife.
20:34 And Jesus answering said unto them, The children of this world marry, and are given in marriage:
20:35 But they which shall be accounted worthy to obtain that world, and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry, nor are given in marriage:
20:36 Neither can they die any more: for they are equal unto the angels; and are the children of God, being the children of the resurrection.
20:37 Now that the dead are raised, even Moses showed at the bush, when he calleth the Lord the God of Abraham, and the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.
20:38 For he is not a God of the dead, but of the living: for all live unto him.
The dead are "now raised" metaphorically or literally? is "living to God" metaphorically living or actually living by being already "resurrected" in spirit? If so, then why a need for a body in some future resurrection date after a period of procrastination?

The resurrection as a future event you said? It seems here, in "context," that Jesus is says that Moses has SHOWN that Abraham, Issac, and Jacob have already been resurrected since EVERYONE EVERYWHERE lives always in God's mind (OMNISCIENT). I believe that was probably a common thought among the Hellenized Sadducees (since the Romans already believed the Jupiter "Ju-the-Father" was Omniscient and some Roman philosophers/priests were saying that was one way that He granted eternal life for all people... other than the Caduceus "Messenger's Staff" that could actually resurrect the dead back to the normal world.)

Last edited by LuminousTruth; 03-01-2016 at 04:48 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top