U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-23-2016, 12:15 AM
 
285 posts, read 942,151 times
Reputation: 185

Advertisements

Okay I was raised a jehovahs witness they are christians but a different type. When it comes to death they believe what the bible about death how its a state of sleep and that they are conscious of nothing and they believe in the resurrection and to live on paradise earth forever after armageddon. I don't believe in that anymore. What I learned from other Christianity is that when we die we go to heaven or hell after when we die. I believe in heaven but I don't believe in the "hellfire" as a literal place but just darkness, chaos and just being lost without God that would be hell.


In the bible there are a lot of scriptures and website that claim that in the bible when we die in are in a sleep and pretty much are dead until when Christ comes back and we are resurrected.

However I believe that we are living souls when we die, our body goes back to dust and the spirit in us goes back to God. where God is in Heaven according to Ecclesiastes 12:7 We are the spirit and our bodies is the shell. I don't believe we fall asleep in death, I believe we go into heaven when we die.

However in a way the bible and me are on different pages, this is why i am pretty skeptical when it comes to the bible because I do see several scriptures when it comes to other topics literally contradict each other.

Some Im just so confused! What should I do? I never been dead before. I do believe in spirits I do believe that when some family members pass away or friends pass away they visit their loved ones time to time. I do believe that when someone has been murdered they are given a choice to stay or go with God that persons spirit sometimes still lingers to get justice and when their murder is solved they go away in peace with God. I know its crazy but I believe in that.


Should I pray about it to God?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-23-2016, 12:40 AM
 
20,301 posts, read 15,654,940 times
Reputation: 7415
Quote:
Originally Posted by TySky View Post
Okay I was raised a jehovahs witness they are christians but a different type. When it comes to death they believe what the bible about death how its a state of sleep and that they are conscious of nothing and they believe in the resurrection and to live on paradise earth forever after armageddon. I don't believe in that anymore. What I learned from other Christianity is that when we die we go to heaven or hell after when we die. I believe in heaven but I don't believe in the "hellfire" as a literal place but just darkness, chaos and just being lost without God that would be hell.


In the bible there are a lot of scriptures and website that claim that in the bible when we die in are in a sleep and pretty much are dead until when Christ comes back and we are resurrected.

However I believe that we are living souls when we die, our body goes back to dust and the spirit in us goes back to God. where God is in Heaven according to Ecclesiastes 12:7 We are the spirit and our bodies is the shell. I don't believe we fall asleep in death, I believe we go into heaven when we die.

However in a way the bible and me are on different pages, this is why i am pretty skeptical when it comes to the bible because I do see several scriptures when it comes to other topics literally contradict each other.

Some Im just so confused! What should I do? I never been dead before. I do believe in spirits I do believe that when some family members pass away or friends pass away they visit their loved ones time to time. I do believe that when someone has been murdered they are given a choice to stay or go with God that persons spirit sometimes still lingers to get justice and when their murder is solved they go away in peace with God. I know its crazy but I believe in that.


Should I pray about it to God?
TySky, the believer does indeed go to heaven when he dies and mainstream Christianity recognizes that fact. The doctrine of soul sleep which some sects teach is not Biblical. Those passages in the Bible which refer to death as sleep have to do with the body, not the soul. Right now, it's late and I need to get some sleep, so I'll post these links for you to read.

https://bible.org/question/soul-slee...-second-coming

Soul Sleep

What does the Bible say about soul sleep?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2016, 12:46 AM
 
Location: Dothan AL
1,450 posts, read 802,868 times
Reputation: 989
All animals die, horses, dogs, rabbits and humans. We think about it, other animals do not, so we make things up because we can imagine death. We all still die the same, thinking about it, or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2016, 02:36 AM
 
7,861 posts, read 6,669,826 times
Reputation: 1371
In John 3: 3,5-6....Jesus said ....``Very truly I tell you , no one can see the kingdom of God unless they are born again ..........Very truly , I tell you , no one can enter the kingdom of God unless they are born of water and the Spirit. Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to Spirit ``.....................See JW teach against this Word of God , and would be critics of the salvation of Jesus , would commands people be baptized in Jesus baptized , which is a baptism of water for repentance of sin , and baptism of the Spirit to receive the living Spirit of Christ on your life .....Best to find a church were they help people get born again to Jesus ..................Also ghost of people do not exist and witnesses of ghost is demonic spirit , where people are collected by God Holy angels and taken the a place God prepare for each person , and are not left on the earth as ghost
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2016, 06:38 AM
 
Location: Gulf Coast Texas
26,228 posts, read 14,109,783 times
Reputation: 10096
It is good to have an accurate definition of death. Death, at its root, is separation. We tend to use it most often in terms of life.

Physical death is the body separating from its source of life, which is our souls and spirits. Part of the penalty incurred from Genesis 3 that applies to everyone is physical death, and the body is destined to return to the ground.

We are made in the image of God, which means that our souls and spirits will exist for eternity. The issue is where eternity will be spent.

Spiritual death (which I believe is mentioned as the second death in the Bible) is a much more important issue. Again, I am not speaking of an end, but separation (since our souls and spirits will eternally exist). Spiritual death is separation from its source of life - which is God. This is where heaven and hell come into play... where hell is the place where those spiritually separated from God will be.

Those who have spiritual life with God are those who have their spirits cleansed through faith in God and the gospel of Jesus Christ before physical death.

All of this is my summation of the various verses contained in the Bible - to the best of my understanding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2016, 06:47 AM
 
Location: Northeastern US
14,070 posts, read 8,569,500 times
Reputation: 6003
It's all "he said, she said". One baseless assertion against another.

No one knows what happens when you die but the probability is that everything STOPS happening. If I am right about that, then immortality is just an ego inflation sold to create a demand for a product that doesn't exist.

It is better to accept your true scope as a mortal being (like all others) and make the most of the one life you actually have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2016, 11:48 AM
 
17,968 posts, read 12,436,374 times
Reputation: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
TySky, the believer does indeed go to heaven when he dies and mainstream Christianity recognizes that fact. The doctrine of soul sleep which some sects teach is not Biblical. Those passages in the Bible which refer to death as sleep have to do with the body, not the soul. Right now, it's late and I need to get some sleep, so I'll post these links for you to read.

https://bible.org/question/soul-slee...-second-coming

Soul Sleep

What does the Bible say about soul sleep?
Mike, if a believer dies and goes to heaven, why did Paul say if there is no resurrection, vain is our faith?

And if the believer dies and goes straight to heaven when he dies, why then does Jesus even have to come back and we meet Him in the air AFTER we are resurrected?

Why is it that "And no one has ascended into heaven except He Who descends out of heaven, the Son of Mankind Who is in heaven" (Joh_3:13)?

David didn't ascend into heaven as Peter said.

Thessalonians reveals to us that the only time we meet the Lord is in the air and that ALL believers meet Him at the same time. It is not a one-at-a-time meeting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2016, 11:49 AM
 
17,968 posts, read 12,436,374 times
Reputation: 989
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
It's all "he said, she said". One baseless assertion against another.

No one knows what happens when you die but the probability is that everything STOPS happening. If I am right about that, then immortality is just an ego inflation sold to create a demand for a product that doesn't exist.

It is better to accept your true scope as a mortal being (like all others) and make the most of the one life you actually have.
You are correct that when we die everything, to our reckoning, stops.
However, when believers are resurrected they "put on immortality." (1 Cor.15).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2016, 11:51 AM
 
1,489 posts, read 612,566 times
Reputation: 293
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
It's all "he said, she said". One baseless assertion against another.

No one knows what happens when you die but the probability is that everything STOPS happening. If I am right about that, then immortality is just an ego inflation sold to create a demand for a product that doesn't exist.

It is better to accept your true scope as a mortal being (like all others) and make the most of the one life you actually have.
I disagree - let's not forget this is the Christianity section - we are allowed "baseless assertions".

Plenty of people know what happens when you die. OP, have a look on:
Near-Death Experiences and the Afterlife

In the light of their experiences you may be more empowered to embrace the life you have now, before the one you'll have next.

Last edited by Age-enduring; 02-23-2016 at 12:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2016, 12:07 PM
 
Location: Gulf Coast Texas
26,228 posts, read 14,109,783 times
Reputation: 10096
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Mike, if a believer dies and goes to heaven, why did Paul say if there is no resurrection, vain is our faith?
Paul was making an argument that if the resurrection is not real (as the opposition was saying), then their faith would be worthless and they should be pitied. The whole argument...

1 Corinthians 15:12-19
12 Now if Christ is preached, that He has been raised from the dead, how do some among you say that there is no resurrection of the dead? 13 But if there is no resurrection of the dead, not even Christ has been raised; 14 and if Christ has not been raised, then our preaching is vain, your faith also is vain. 15 Moreover we are even found to be false witnesses of God, because we testified against God that He raised Christ, whom He did not raise, if in fact the dead are not raised. 16 For if the dead are not raised, not even Christ has been raised; 17 and if Christ has not been raised, your faith is worthless; you are still in your sins. 18 Then those also who have fallen asleep in Christ have perished. 19 If we have hoped in Christ in this life only, we are of all men most to be pitied.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top