U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2016, 08:27 PM

8,692 posts, read 11,460,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Evolution has been conclusively proven . Genetics has done what creationists have long claimed is not possible, i.e. , showing us that we are related to other primates .

A person really and truly has to be completely dishonest with themselves and with others they discuss this with to try and claim there is no proof of evolution.

Many Christians believe in evolution . The head of the Human Genome Project is a devout evangelical Christian who believes in evolution.

The largest Baptist university in the world and the flagship university of the Southern Baptist Convention, Baylor U, teaches evolution and denies creationism and ID .

The truth of evolution is not in doubt, except with those who refuse to see the truth for theological reasons .
Sic 'em Bears!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2016, 08:41 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,443,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
And no--God would not have used such a cruel and horrible thing such as evolution.
Oh, my goodness. Such a bomb to drop...... and no follow-up? You simply MUST tell us about this "cruel and horrible" idea.

Old 03-11-2016, 08:50 PM

4,851 posts, read 1,477,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
Sic 'em Bears!

Isn't it amazing that the two top teams in TX are Baylor and TCU ?

Old 03-12-2016, 07:45 AM

14,079 posts, read 8,603,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I've heard evolution described as many things before, but never as "cruel and horrible." What's no "cruel and horrible" about it?
"Cruel" requires cruelty which comes from agency, so I would not agree with that characterization. "Horrible" I would agree with though. Natural selection is based on what most consistently survives long enough to reproduce. It is not influenced by actual quality of life. So long as an organism passes its genetic material onto its offspring, it matters not whether both the organism and its offspring suffered every moment of their existence.

It is only humans who have had the wherewithal to exert some control over our own evolution and behavior so that we can optimize our existence for enjoyment and contentment rather than for simple survival.

I find it ironic though that a theist would take this position when so much of what theism (particularly fundamentalism) is about, is limiting freedom of thought and choice that is the very foundation for a more enjoyable existence.

Old 03-12-2016, 08:22 AM

8,692 posts, read 11,460,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Isn't it amazing that the two top teams in TX are Baylor and TCU ?
I know! Right?

Old 03-12-2016, 08:30 AM

6,704 posts, read 4,201,089 times
Quote:
No. It's not true. And no. It couldn't have happened in the time spans in which scientists claim. And no--God would not have used such a cruel and horrible thing such as evolution.
No, he would prefer to simply drown hundreds of millions of innocent people, including newborn babies. Not to mention burn entire cities full of people, command his armies to rape and murder children, etc. Because that's so much less cruel and horrible, right?

As for the OP, I am certainly open to the idea. I doubt it will ever be provable one way or the other, but I don't rule it out. Would not be surprised either way.

Old 03-12-2016, 05:42 PM

37,644 posts, read 25,331,652 times
Quote:
No. It's not true. And no. It couldn't have happened in the time spans in which scientists claim. And no--God would not have used such a cruel and horrible thing such as evolution.
You really like to live on the edge, Vizio. Why don't you get a proper education before you take on the awesome responsibility of misleading your parishioners to your and their detriment? Such hubris!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity