U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-23-2016, 03:48 PM
 
Location: GOVERNMENT of TRAITORS & NAZIS
20,554 posts, read 22,715,248 times
Reputation: 7625

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewdropinn View Post
we donate boxes to send to the troops overseas.

We also keep a nice stash for ourselves. :d
Thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-23-2016, 03:58 PM
 
32,538 posts, read 29,325,866 times
Reputation: 32238
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Thank you!!
I can remembering mailing Girl Scout cookies to my brothers when they were in Vietnam. No one besides families and friends sent things to the troops back then. (They paid the price of an unpopular war.) I LOVE the fact that the Girl Scouts came up with the idea and so many people are behind it.

Lots of good things being done by Girl Scouts. I was a Girl Scout. It's a pity people use them as pawns for their religious agendas.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 02-23-2016 at 04:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2016, 04:24 PM
 
6,813 posts, read 3,131,023 times
Reputation: 2373
I was a Girl Scout Leader for many years. We never turned away any girl, or self identified girl. We never turned away a kid who could not afford a uniform either.

I like those values, and thin mints........ dosi-dos....... samoa's....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2016, 07:31 PM
 
Location: Fishers, IN
6,495 posts, read 10,464,045 times
Reputation: 4036
If the Girl Scouts are advocating for contraception use and abortion rights, then the archbishop is doing his job by trying to steer Catholic families away from the Girls Scouts because those things contradict Catholic teaching. I don't understand why that's a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2016, 08:55 PM
 
1,506 posts, read 920,602 times
Reputation: 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
If the Girl Scouts are advocating for contraception use and abortion rights, then the archbishop is doing his job by trying to steer Catholic families away from the Girls Scouts because those things contradict Catholic teaching. I don't understand why that's a problem.
From what I can gather, the Girl Scout situation is "complex".

Evidently, the Girl Scouts as a whole never partnered with Planned Parenthood, but individual councils have. Though many of their new activities have a progressive socio political slant, local troops are not obligated to participate in all activities.

In the past Ana Maria Chavez, the leader of the national Girl Scouts, was trying to make progressive socio political views the new norm for the Girl Scouts. But.... faced with defections and membership reductions, she has evidently re-acknowledged that local troops have autonomy in picking the programs that are right for them.

But.... after years of progressive socio political emphasis, the activities are still spun to the left. Then factor in that some of the accusations equating Girl Scouts with Planned Parenthood may well be exaggerated by conservative activists. But... many of the senior Girl Scout leaders have ignored and been very dismissive of the conservative wing of the scouting movement for years. Thus, conservatives are more likely to buy into the exaggerations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-23-2016, 10:54 PM
 
Location: Raleigh
1,167 posts, read 1,122,268 times
Reputation: 1308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cryptic View Post
From what I can gather, the Girl Scout situation is "complex".

Evidently, the Girl Scouts as a whole never partnered with Planned Parenthood, but individual councils have. Though many of their new activities have a progressive socio political slant, local troops are not obligated to participate in all activities.

In the past Ana Maria Chavez, the leader of the national Girl Scouts, was trying to make progressive socio political views the new norm for the Girl Scouts. But.... faced with defections and membership reductions, she has evidently re-acknowledged that local troops have autonomy in picking the programs that are right for them.

But.... after years of progressive socio political emphasis, the activities are still spun to the left. Then factor in that some of the accusations equating Girl Scouts with Planned Parenthood may well be exaggerated by conservative activists. But... many of the senior Girl Scout leaders have ignored and been very dismissive of the conservative wing of the scouting movement for years. Thus, conservatives are more likely to buy into the exaggerations.
Thank you for supplying these details. I knew that the leadership had a progressive socio political agenda, but did not know that autonomy was permitted. It's good that everyone can still enjoy the Girl Scouts, just know what's going on around you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2016, 06:55 AM
 
6,813 posts, read 3,131,023 times
Reputation: 2373
OMG Those evil Daisy's.

Four and five year old, evil girls, walk across the rainbow bridge, to become......Brownies.
You know what happens next.

They learned the dreaded, card carrying CPR, and Heimlich. Heimlich. Now that must be some sort of evil. When you Heimlich, people pop things out of their mouths, and such. Disgusting.

Those evil Brownies decided we should help the local Animal Shelter.
Imagine those evil girls telling me, an adult GS Leader, what they wanted to do as a group.

Playing, feeding, and getting others to adopt dogs and cats. They worked in a shelter that.... dare I say.... spayed before adoption. Sex without consequences. What did those evil little girls get me into?

Don't get me started when a hijab wearing Muslim girl joined the troop, and taught us how to make sailor's knots, and hula hooping.

Bwhahahahahaha.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2016, 06:58 AM
 
Location: louisville
4,754 posts, read 1,819,982 times
Reputation: 1708
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
We donate boxes to send to the troops overseas.

We also keep a nice stash for ourselves.
And I am sure those troops thank you sincerely... it was always nice getting something from 'back home'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2016, 11:00 AM
 
1,506 posts, read 920,602 times
Reputation: 1994
Quote:
Originally Posted by siameseifyoupls View Post
Thank you for supplying these details. I knew that the leadership had a progressive socio political agenda, but did not know that autonomy was permitted. It's good that everyone can still enjoy the Girl Scouts, just know what's going on around you.
You are welcome. I think there has been some disinformation put out by both sides.

That aside, I wish the national leadership would emphasize the autonomy concept more and reduce the leftist slant in the National level materials. That, however, maybe difficult for them as the leftist oriented materials are near and dear to them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-24-2016, 11:09 AM
 
19,952 posts, read 12,966,493 times
Reputation: 1957
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Whose "moral" standards should we use? Yours? Mine? Buddha?

Seems like s slippery slope when we start demanding morals be aligned to any standard?

What teachings go against the boxed in god?
I would suggest maybe the parents get to choose what morals we instill in our children. Not anyone else, including the Girl Scouts. If you'll notice I said that my wife and I made that decision for our kids..not anyone else's kids. I have nieces that have been actively involved in Girl Scouts, and I've enjoyed their cookies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top