U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2016, 04:49 PM

1,481 posts, read 795,679 times

Advertisements

the bishop probably said something about peace, love, and non-violence---it's the Christian thing for him to say AND likely (without a lot of fanfare) sent resources to be of some help to the people of Ferguson. again, right now even as we speak/type/text/at each other I'm willing to bet the Catholics (and other people of faith as well) are doing their best to feed those hungry kids and bring peace to St. Louis.

that hunger, violence, ignorance, and prejudice continue to afflict that area and for that matter so much of this world CANNOT be reasonably laid at the door of the Catholic Church unless in fairness you wish to also INCLUDE the great state of Missouri or the entire United States (both which also have a mandate to protect, feed, and educate the citizens of state and country) and apparently with all their immense resources and power have STILL not fulfilled their obligations legally and morally to do so (along with all the other NGO's and religious groups that ALSO have tried for years to give help and support to the needy). if for some reason you think the catholic church somehow deserves a "black eye" for failing to change the world then where do all those other potentially larger, richer (they get taxes!!!), and more powerful political entities (i.e. "the state" as opposed to "the church") show up on the "walk of shame"?

despite all the interested and involved parties hopefully doing their best for many years STILL the need persists---so should ALL rightly be blamed for failure or ALL rightly be praised for doing what they could AND challenged to do more in the future---including you and me regardless of our individual religious/philosophical/ political persuasions???

in the peace of Christ
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 05:05 PM

32,538 posts, read 29,368,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by georgeinbandonoregon View Post

that hunger, violence, ignorance, and prejudice continue to afflict that area and for that matter so much of this world CANNOT be reasonably laid at the door of the Catholic Church unless in fairness you wish to also INCLUDE the great state of Missouri or the entire United States (both which also have a mandate to protect, feed, and educate the citizens of state and country) and apparently with all their immense resources and power have STILL not fulfilled their obligations legally and morally to do so (along with all the other NGO's and religious groups that ALSO have tried for years to give help and support to the needy).

If that's directed at me I never said the Catholics were to blame for the problems in Ferguson. That would be a ridiculous claim to make. I said nothing about who was responsible.

Again. I'm not anti-Catholic. One can criticize the actions of an Archbishop in flyover country and know there are good things done by Catholics. I'll repeat.....I'm well aware of the work Catholic Charities does. And I happen to be a BIG fan of Pope Francis and his efforts on behalf of the poor, the marginalized and the disenfranchised. My criticism is of a particular action by a particular archbishop.

BTW: The archbishop issued a statement about praying for peace, praying for the families, and volunteering in the community to help heal the wounds in Ferguson. He specifically mentioned donating to food pantries which I liked.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 02-26-2016 at 05:37 PM..

Old 02-26-2016, 05:46 PM

1,481 posts, read 795,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post

If that's directed at me I never said the Catholics were to blame for the problems Ferguson. That would be a ridiculous claim to make. I said nothing about who was responsible.

Again. I'm not anti-Catholic. I think you need to look at my posts with a little less defensiveness. One can criticize the actions of an Archbishop in flyover country without believing the entire Church is to blame for the ills in the world. I happen to be a BIG fan of Pope Francis and his efforts on behalf of the poor, the marginalized and the disenfranchised.

BTW: The archbishop issued a statement about praying for peace, praying for the families, and volunteering in the community to help heal the wounds in Ferguson. He specifically mentioned donating to food pantries which I thought was excellent.

nor did I ever say you did---all I was responding to was all the talk about kids going hungry in St. Loius (they are) and somehow the implication that the church was obsessed with the G.S. (it's not) and therefore not doing enough stuff to help them---even though we apparently both agree that the church HAS been engaged in trying to help alleviate hunger and homelessness there and in other places.

hopefully the fact that (just as I thought and said in response to your initial question on the matter) that the local church diocese was indeed working for good in Ferguson should give us BOTH hope whether or not some of it's press releases and policies on this or that current topic don't always fit with other folks ideas about what's right and that in fact the Church (even that part of the church that resides in St. Louis) is still trying to be a positive force in the world in general and in that particular part of where all the ruckus is going on, LOL.

if that's the case, then all is well, understanding (if not complete agreement) is reached, and the discussion can (thankfully) end in peace and good will to and with all parties.

Last edited by georgeinbandonoregon; 02-26-2016 at 07:15 PM..

Old 02-27-2016, 09:46 AM

19,952 posts, read 12,987,621 times
Quote:
I'm able to navigate the website. And I'm well versed in what the Catholics are doing. Trust me on that.

I'm not anti-Catholic. I'm anti-making a big deal about membership in the Girl Scouts when there are kids going hungry and there is rioting in the streets because of living conditions in and around St. Louis. Maybe I'll check to see what the archbishop said about Ferguson.
Here's a great tip for you: Don't become a Catholic if you don't like what the religion stands for or teaches. It's not an issue, then.

Old 02-27-2016, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Here's a great tip for you: Don't become a Catholic if you don't like what the religion stands for or teaches. It's not an issue, then.
Actually, there are a number of things I like about the Catholic Church and its teachings. I quite enjoy visiting Catholic churches and attending Mass. Several of my favorite charities are Catholic-based. I know several amazing nuns whose work for the poor has influenced my life. And, as I said, I'm a big Pope Francis fan.

Old 02-27-2016, 10:03 AM

19,952 posts, read 12,987,621 times
Quote:
Actually, there are a number of things I like about the Catholic Church and its teachings. I quite enjoy visiting Catholic churches and attending Mass. Several of my favorite charities are Catholic-based. I know several amazing nuns whose work for the poor has influenced my life. And, as I said, I'm a big Pope Francis fan.
So you like the pomp and charitable works, but you don't appreciate the personal commitment that they ask of their members?

Old 02-27-2016, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
So you like the pomp and charitable works, but you don't appreciate the personal commitment that they ask of their members?
Lol.....where'd you pull that from? Oh, wait..I know. You pulled it out of your assumptions. (Not to be confused with the Assumption.) I don't agree with the Archbishop's statement. Don't make it a bigger deal than it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity