U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 03-24-2016, 06:12 AM
 
Location: GOVERNMENT of TRAITORS & NAZIS
20,627 posts, read 22,804,003 times
Reputation: 7637

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
True, but it was also Christians who put a stop to it. It was overturned and laws can be overturned again.

NO, it was CHRISTIANS who perpetuated SLAVERY to the NTH degree.. It was RADICAL LIBERAL SOCIALIST TABLE FLIPPERS who put an end to slavery.

It is really difficult to over turn the Constitution. And as past experience has shown, doing so is typically not a good idea..

 
Old 03-24-2016, 06:53 AM
 
Location: Emmaus, PA
3,029 posts, read 2,068,420 times
Reputation: 2164
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Jesus is beyond any liberal or conservative descriptors. If anything, they try to line up with Him and portray Him as one or the other.

If He was an American, He probably wouldn't vote because He would already know who was going to win - and His power is greater than any world leader. There would be no need to lower Himself to be involved in the political scene.
AGAIN, you can't differentiate between political and social issues. I'm NOT saying that Jesus Christ would vote. I'm saying that He would agree with the vast majority of the social issues confronting us today.
He would be against the use of guns. He would be for the treatment of blacks, browns, gays, women, people of other religions or no religion, women who have had abortions, the handicapped, the elderly, etc., with the utmost respect.
The Republican Party doesn't seem to agree with any of those things, which is why so few of the people of these groups, votes for them.
 
Old 03-24-2016, 10:42 AM
Status: "Even better than okay" (set 22 days ago)
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
51,508 posts, read 50,770,194 times
Reputation: 60521
H
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
I call BS on this one. You clearly don't know American History.

It was sorry christianity that justified it via their sorry bible.

When the colonists first came to the Americas and viewed it as their "promised land", a land that was "granted to them by "god"?

In 1634 John Winthrop, governor of the pious Massachusetts Bay Colony, wrote, "for the natives, they are near all dead of the smallpox, so as the Lord hath cleared our title to what we possess." His comments clearly hearken back to the Old Testament scriptures, of which he was such a devout believer.

Many of the early American settlers and explorers believed that the diseases that befell the natives were proof of God's "Divine Providence" helping them to conquer the land.

Over a hundred million natives died under European occupation throughout North and South America between the 1500s and the 1900s, millions of these being directly killed by enslavement and war. The killing of natives and the taking of their land was sanctioned by both the Catholic Church in South America and the many Protestant sects in North America. "Divine Providence" and "God's Will" were almost always invoked as the justifications for the extermination of "savages".

In addition to the sanctioning of genocide, the Christian religion was used to justify slavery as well. Not only was slavery sanctioned in the Old Testament, but it is sanctioned in the New Testament also. The founding fathers of The Church also supported slavery.

In 1705 the Virginia Slave Codes were passed in America, which were quickly followed by similar laws in other states.

All servants imported and brought into the Country...who were not Christians in their native Country...shall be accounted and be slaves. All Negro, mulatto and Indian slaves within this dominion...shall be held to be real estate. If any slave resist his master...correcting such slave, and shall happen to be killed in such correction...the master shall be free of all punishment...as if such accident never happened.
She didn't say what you wrote wasn't true. She said that slavery was overturned because of the abolitionists, many of whom held their position because of their Christian beliefs. The slaves didn't free themselves. Sadly, it took so long because so many who believed in abolition of slavery spoke against it but did very little, and some of them despite their anti-slavery views were racist. Lincoln's original plan was to free the slaves and then ship them to Central America.

What you point out above is that the wealthy and powerful supported slavery, and that's a no-brainer because slavery enabled them to have wealth and power. Poor, obscure Christians could see that slavery was wrong, but they had no power to change it.

My point is that to grandly claim either that all of Christianity supported or was against slavery is not true. Both sides existed and both sides used scripture to support their position.
 
Old 03-24-2016, 12:59 PM
 
Location: Gulf Coast Texas
26,297 posts, read 14,165,150 times
Reputation: 10134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
I call BS on this one. You clearly don't know American History.

It was sorry christianity that justified it via their sorry bible.

When the colonists first came to the Americas and viewed it as their "promised land", a land that was "granted to them by "god"?

In 1634 John Winthrop, governor of the pious Massachusetts Bay Colony, wrote, "for the natives, they are near all dead of the smallpox, so as the Lord hath cleared our title to what we possess." His comments clearly hearken back to the Old Testament scriptures, of which he was such a devout believer.

Many of the early American settlers and explorers believed that the diseases that befell the natives were proof of God's "Divine Providence" helping them to conquer the land.

Over a hundred million natives died under European occupation throughout North and South America between the 1500s and the 1900s, millions of these being directly killed by enslavement and war. The killing of natives and the taking of their land was sanctioned by both the Catholic Church in South America and the many Protestant sects in North America. "Divine Providence" and "God's Will" were almost always invoked as the justifications for the extermination of "savages".

In addition to the sanctioning of genocide, the Christian religion was used to justify slavery as well. Not only was slavery sanctioned in the Old Testament, but it is sanctioned in the New Testament also. The founding fathers of The Church also supported slavery.

In 1705 the Virginia Slave Codes were passed in America, which were quickly followed by similar laws in other states.

All servants imported and brought into the Country...who were not Christians in their native Country...shall be accounted and be slaves. All Negro, mulatto and Indian slaves within this dominion...shall be held to be real estate. If any slave resist his master...correcting such slave, and shall happen to be killed in such correction...the master shall be free of all punishment...as if such accident never happened.
People can justify anything using almost any source.

The Bible acknowledges slavery existed... its position is neutral with regards to slavery.

The Bible denounces any mistreatment and abuse of people. That's where people went wrong in America past.
 
Old 03-24-2016, 01:01 PM
 
Location: Gulf Coast Texas
26,297 posts, read 14,165,150 times
Reputation: 10134
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
AGAIN, you can't differentiate between political and social issues. I'm NOT saying that Jesus Christ would vote. I'm saying that He would agree with the vast majority of the social issues confronting us today.
He would be against the use of guns. He would be for the treatment of blacks, browns, gays, women, people of other religions or no religion, women who have had abortions, the handicapped, the elderly, etc., with the utmost respect.
The Republican Party doesn't seem to agree with any of those things, which is why so few of the people of these groups, votes for them.

You don't know what He would do.
 
Old 03-24-2016, 01:12 PM
 
32,538 posts, read 29,419,108 times
Reputation: 32248
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
NO, it was CHRISTIANS who perpetuated SLAVERY to the NTH degree.. It was RADICAL LIBERAL SOCIALIST TABLE FLIPPERS who put an end to slavery.
My great-something grandparents, (who were Christians) were active members of the Underground Railroad. They provided temporary sanctuary for runaway slaves in their root cellar. They hid them, fed them and told them the location of the next safe house. I rather like thinking of them as radical liberal socialist table flippers.
 
Old 03-24-2016, 01:39 PM
 
Location: Gulf Coast Texas
26,297 posts, read 14,165,150 times
Reputation: 10134
Dang - you guys are really programmed. Everything is liberal. Underground railroad - liberal. Jesus Christ - liberal. Ending slavery - liberal. All things good are only liberal. Amazing.
 
Old 03-24-2016, 01:54 PM
Status: "Phlegmatic." (set 8 days ago)
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
23,477 posts, read 12,143,420 times
Reputation: 10690
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Dang - you guys are really programmed. Everything is liberal. Underground railroad - liberal. Jesus Christ - liberal. Ending slavery - liberal. All things good are only liberal. Amazing.
But true.

Try to deal with it. You, and other fundies are spiritual dinosaurs - doomed to extinction within a couple of generations no matter how much you breed.
 
Old 03-24-2016, 02:24 PM
Status: "Even better than okay" (set 22 days ago)
 
Location: Coastal New Jersey
51,508 posts, read 50,770,194 times
Reputation: 60521
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Dang - you guys are really programmed. Everything is liberal. Underground railroad - liberal. Jesus Christ - liberal. Ending slavery - liberal. All things good are only liberal. Amazing.
It is true, though. In my neck of the historical woods, it was the Quakers running the Underground Railroad to a large degree. Conservative NJ was sympathizing with the south because of the large manufacturing industry that sold cheap clothes and shoes to southerners for their slaves. Jersey only sided with the Union for self-preservation reasons due to its location.

Liberal means adhering to ideals of liberty or freedom. For everybody, not just the ones who have the money or the power or belong to the right clubs. That WAS Jesus's position. He was inclusive.

I'm the opposite of programmed. I was raised to believe like you do--some of us are chosen/better than others/favored by God. I rejected that thinking as an adult. Now it creeps me out how some of you are so delighted by the thought that others might undergo some sort of eternal punishment or that they deserve to be poor or not have medical care while they're still here.
 
Old 03-24-2016, 02:31 PM
 
Location: Emmaus, PA
3,029 posts, read 2,068,420 times
Reputation: 2164
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Dang - you guys are really programmed. Everything is liberal. Underground railroad - liberal. Jesus Christ - liberal. Ending slavery - liberal. All things good are only liberal. Amazing.
WOW - You're FINALLLY learning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top