U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 09:57 AM

3,026 posts, read 2,066,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Election day is judgment day.
Nonsense.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I know of a few people (not on this board) that say we need a Christian President. I think the reasoning is that we want one that will actually care what God things in regards to moral issues. It's not a horrible idea, as this next POTUS will likely appoint at least 2-3 SCOTUS justices. But I believe that is faulty reasoning, for the fact that Bush is an Evangelical Christian (most recent one I know of) and he made some bad decisions as leader of our country.

Having said that, I'll reiterate my position from earlier on this thread -- I want a POTUS that is willing to actually follow the rulebook -- the Constitution. Don't like it? Go through the process and change it. But don't ignore it or bend the rules to get your pet cause pushed in.

At this point I know what Hillary will bring as President. She has clearly stated she will continue Obama's policies. I have some disagreements with those policies, and I believe they are unfriendly to things I value as a Christian. For that reason I really don't want her as President. I have no idea what kind of President Trump will be. I'm hoping he will go conservative, but I don't believe he will. I think he might be fiscally conservative, and morally moderate. I don't believe he will do anything about the moral issues that we face, and I'm nervous about the SCOTUS justices he'd appoint. But I have no reason to believe Hillary would be any better.
If George Bush was an Evangelical Christian, what did he do to further the cause of Evangelical Christianity?
What could ANY President do to further the cause of Evangelical Christianity?
My answer to both questions is nothing.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:07 AM

19,952 posts, read 13,002,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F S View Post
If George Bush was an Evangelical Christian, what did he do to further the cause of Evangelical Christianity?
What could ANY President do to further the cause of Evangelical Christianity?
My answer to both questions is nothing.
As I said before, I don't see that furthering Christianity has anything to do with the office of President. It's not his job. I didn't expect Bush to push it, nor would I expect Cruz, or Trump to do so.

I would expect a President to follow the Constitution. I would also like a President that is willing to appoint judges that would follow the Constitution. I believe that following the Constitution will put them on the correct side in some issues of morality.

Old 05-04-2016, 10:11 AM

26,293 posts, read 14,144,731 times
Quote:
Nonsense.

Do you even understand what I mean by that?

Old 05-04-2016, 12:06 PM

6,822 posts, read 3,144,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Do you even understand what I mean by that?
Judgement Day. That is when SkyNet activates, and John Connor has to save the world.

Old 05-04-2016, 12:32 PM

20,604 posts, read 22,782,691 times
Quote:
As I said before, I don't see that furthering Christianity has anything to do with the office of President. It's not his job. I didn't expect Bush to push it, nor would I expect Cruz, or Trump to do so.

I would expect a President to follow the Constitution. I would also like a President that is willing to appoint judges that would follow the Constitution. I believe that following the Constitution will put them on the correct side in some issues of morality.
Seems like SCOTUS has done just that.

How is the Constitution like morality?

Old 05-04-2016, 02:14 PM

Quote:

Except for possibly Nixon, so far EVERY American President has followed the Constitution - or they would have been impeached.
Clinton will follow the Constitution. Will you vote for her - or, in your opinion, do only Republicans follow the Constitution?

Old 05-04-2016, 02:59 PM

15,240 posts, read 8,259,946 times
Quote:
Except for possibly Nixon, so far EVERY American President has followed the Constitution - or they would have been impeached.
Clinton will follow the Constitution. Will you vote for her - or, in your opinion, do only Republicans follow the Constitution?
Is Clinton a better Christian, in your opinion?

Old 05-04-2016, 03:26 PM

14,070 posts, read 8,588,039 times
Quote:
My guess is that most evangelicals define "follow the Constitution" as "be a strict constructionist". Or at least a "broad constructionist". Construtionism appeals to inerrantists because it's very similar to the doctrine of verbal and plenary inspiration of scripture. The notion is that you can determine the original meaning / intent of the original text and you must adhere to that and never allow it to be reinterpreted in any way. Also, the original text can somehow have anticipated and encompassed all possible circumstances and changes that would arise in society, forever. I suppose this plays into the notion that we have always been "a Christian nation" with a "manifest destiny", "American exceptionalism", etc.

By the lights of a strict constructionist, some SCOTUS justices and presidents, for example, have not "followed the constitution".

If you believe that your tribe alone has figured out the One True Interpretation of scripture, why not apply that to the US Constitution as well?

Old 05-05-2016, 04:29 AM

8,626 posts, read 5,133,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Is Clinton a better Christian, in your opinion?
According to a former speaker of the house, Cruz is Lucifer. But now that he has dropped out you can vote for a "real" president who knows how to take care of his own money!

If the Donald wins the nomination, I will truly consider a safer country--like Indonesia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality > Christianity
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or